pixeltracker

Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News

Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:08pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Long-Time-Theatre-Critic-Joe-Dziemianowicz-Parts-Ways-with-New-York-Daily-News-20180723  I read that the NY Daily News is downsizing.  I hope he find a new home.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

upinlights Profile Photo
upinlights
#2Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:11pm

These were some brutal layoffs. Always liked reading his reviews!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#3Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:26pm

Every time a reviewer loses their job, an angel gets their wings.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#4Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:37pm

Critics have no relevance today. Not one reads them. They can't kill a show like they once could. Audiences will see what they want and to hell with critics. And that its why garbage runs for years. Audiences have plebian taste.

Updated On: 7/23/18 at 04:37 PM

JSquared2
#5Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:40pm

JayG 2 said: "Critics have no relevance today. Not one reads them. They can't kill a show like they once could. Audiences will see what they want and to hell with critics. And that its why garbage runs for years. Audiences have plebian taste."

Yawn

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#6Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:57pm

Very sad to hear of him losing his gig. I'm sure they're suffering as a result of their paywall, honestly I know I never look at their site anymore because of it. But I still want critics, their opinions need to rise above the noise, whether we agree with them or not.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

UncleCharlie
#7Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 5:36pm

newintown said: "Every time a reviewer loses their job, an angel gets their wings."

And a pompous <<edited by BWW staff>> posts about it.

Updated On: 7/23/18 at 05:36 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 6:58pm

This has nothing to do with the diminishing power of theatre critics and everything to do with the fact that the new conglomerate that owns the paper laid off half the staff today and plans to make the paper more “Trump friendly” by focusing less on politics. The Daily News was one of the most vocal anti-Trump papers in the northeast.

Are they just going to run the AP theater reviews now? It’s sad that a major NYC paper won’t be covering the arts or have a full-time drama critic on staff.

Updated On: 7/23/18 at 06:58 PM

UncleCharlie
#9Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 9:27pm

adamgreer said: "This has nothing to do with the diminishing power of theatre critics and everything to do with the fact that the new conglomerate that owns the paper laid off half the staff today and plans to make the paper more “Trump friendly” by focusing less on politics. The Daily News was one of the most vocal anti-Trump papers in the northeast.

Are they just going to run the AP theater reviews now? It’s sad that a major NYC paper won’t be co wrong the arts or have a full-time drama critic on staff.
"

It goes well beyond the arts. This will be their approach to everything. It's all about cutting things to the bone and draining every last nickel out of it. Dramatic cuts on the city desk, local news etc. They had 35 people working in the sports department on Friday. Today they have 9. Yes, 9. The Daily News, one of the 10 largest newspapers in the entire country will not have beat writers covering the Yankees, the Knicks, the Rangers. They'll just pick up articles from other publications or publish box scores with no analysis. It's unheard-of in the industry. It's shocking, really.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 9:44pm

UncleCharlie said: "adamgreer said: "This has nothing to do with the diminishing power of theatre critics and everything to do with the fact that the new conglomerate that owns the paper laid off half the staff today and plans to make the paper more “Trump friendly” by focusing less on politics. The Daily News was one of the most vocal anti-Trump papers in the northeast.

Are they just going to run the AP theater reviews now? It’s sad that a major NYC paper won’t be co wrong the arts or have a full-time drama critic on staff.
"

It goes well beyond the arts. This will be their approach to everything. It's all about cutting things to the bone and draining every last nickel out of it. Dramatic cuts on the city desk,local news etc. They had 35 people working in the sports department on Friday. Today they have 9. Yes, 9. The Daily News, one of the 10 largestnewspapers in the entire country will not have beat writers covering the Yankees, the Knicks, the Rangers. They'll just pick up articles from other publications or publish box scores with no analysis. It's unheard-of in the industry. It's shocking, really.
"

You’re right. It really is unfathomable. The whole thing. I’m shocked the local sports teams won’t have a beat writer anymore. Terrible. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#11Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/23/18 at 10:02pm

JayG 2 said: "Critics have no relevance today. Not one reads them. They can't kill a show like they once could. Audiences will see what they want and to hell with critics. And that its why garbage runs for years. Audiences have plebian taste."

You sound like some miserable, craggy old bitch living in a basement, sitting in a rocking chair with 30 cats to feed..wondering where your glory days have gone, why you don’t have a man and are on the brink of slitting your wrists...SAD!

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#12Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/24/18 at 1:26am

The speculation I've been reading today is that management is preparing to end the print edition and exist solely online.

UncleCharlie
#13Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/24/18 at 1:35am

NoName3 said: "The speculation I've been reading today is that management is preparing to end the print edition and exist solely online."

Then they might as well shut it down cause if they're solely on-line and just reprinting articles that appeared elsewhere first, nobody is going to be willing to pay anything for that or even bother reading that and if no one is reading, then advertising rates go thru the floor and just like that, it's over.

Updated On: 7/24/18 at 01:35 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/24/18 at 7:28am

NoName3 said: "The speculation I've been reading today is that management is preparing to end the print edition and exist solely online."

If that’s true, expect Trump to tweet this as some kind of victory for himself. That’ll be the most upsetting part. 

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/24/18 at 10:17am

>Are they just going to run the AP theater reviews now? It’s sad that a major NYC paper won’t be covering the arts or have a full-time drama critic on staff.<

AP is no longer reviewing theatre with any regularity - only when a big star is involved. The NY Post also doesn't really have a full-time theatre critic either, although Johnny Oleksinski and Barbara Hoffman review the occasional show. 

>They had 35 people working in the sports department on Friday. Today they have 9. Yes, 9.<

They had 1 person working in the theatre department on Friday. Today they have 0. And Broadway generates more income for New York City than all of the sports franchises combined. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

UncleCharlie
#16Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/24/18 at 2:19pm

Smaxie said: "They had 1 person working in the theatre department on Friday. Today they have 0. And Broadway generates more income for New York City than all of the sports franchises combined."

What a bizarre comparison. it's like comparing apples to sushi. 20-30 Broadway shows open every season and once you've seen a show, you've seen it. You don't need to have a critic at every performance. Every sporting event is different and requires coverage. The New York metro area has 9 pro teams in the 4 major sports that all need to be covered plus soccer and others. That doesn't include college or high school sports. Sorry to drop some reality on you but a lot more people follow New York's pro sports teams than they do theater and that's what sells papers which drives up advertising rates which is what keeps newspapers in business. The loss of their theater critic is terrible as is cutting 75% of the sports department. I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#17Joe Dziemianowicz Parts Ways With NY Daily News
Posted: 7/24/18 at 2:22pm

"They had 1 person working in the theatre department on Friday. Today they have 0. And Broadway generates more income for New York City than all of the sports franchises combined."

Fret not - Broadway shows would still sell as many tickets as they do now, even if every reviewer in the country vanished.