SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 6:28pm

For January closings, I think we're looking at:

The inevitable:  OOTI, HOH
The rumored:  Kinky Boots
The very possible:  BeautifulSummer, new additions Anastasia and Waitress

Anastasia and Waitress have to be hovering close to their break-evens, and Anastasia doesn't have a cushion of profit. Waitress isn't far off from Pippin's numbers the fall before the Weisslers closed it, unless they have another star lined up.

Updated On: 9/24/18 at 06:28 PM

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 6:34pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "For January closings, I think we're looking at:

The inevitable: OOTI,HOH
The rumored:Kinky Boots
The verypossible: Beautiful,Summer,new additionsAnastasiaandWaitress

AnastasiaandWaitresshave to behovering close to theirbreak-evens,and Anastasia doesn't have a cushion of profit. Waitressisn't far off fromPippin's numbers the fall before the Weisslers closed it, unless they have another star lined up.
"

My understanding is that Anastasia is close to recoupment, as in within a month-ish. I could be wrong, and I don't know how the most recent numbers affect this - my info is a few weeks old. I think Kinky Boots probably depends on who wants the Hirschfeld and when.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 6:36pm

kelsey1389 said: "Certainly no numbers expert here, but isn't Summer going to have to start thinking about closing with those kinds of numbers? I don't know if anything can save it at this point?"

Unless they get the ghost of Donna summer to play all three Donna Summers.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 7:03pm

bwayrose7 said: "My understanding is that Anastasia is close to recoupment, as in within a month-ish. I could be wrong, and I don't know how the most recent numbers affect this - my info is a few weeks old."

Right –– the question is, how long can it be sustained after recouping? If they're projected to break even or make profit most weeks, that's great and they should keep going. But if they're going to start bleeding money, then there's no logical reason why they'd keep going past New Years. (And maybe they'd go out with a bang with a "final weeks" push.)

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 7:26pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Good numbers for Chicago. Other shows...not so much."

Yeah justChicagohad good numbers. All the other shows bombed. ThatHamiltonjust did a barf job. You right.
"

Well, perhaps I could have worded it differently.  I merely meant that while Chicago was able to have a good week and is not in any danger, other shows had such challenging grosses that their ability to remain open is in question.  I had forgotten about seeing Summer in December.  If (and that's a big if), I may grew up being familiar with Donna Summer's songs.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Jarethan
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 7:40pm

Chicago is on target to have its best year ever, in terms of total annual gross (admittedly thanks to ticket price inflation).  Given operating cost increases over the past 20 years, I have no idea what its average weekly breakeven is, but its weekly gross is headed towards an average of $700K per week.  

That is absolutely amazing.  Everyone associated with this show must be bowing to a picture of Ron Marshall at least once a day.  I imagine the show would have closed years ago had it not gotten the boost it received after the movie was released.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 8:41pm

Call_me_jorge said: "kelsey1389 said: "Certainly no numbers expert here, but isn't Summer going to have to start thinking about closing with those kinds of numbers? I don't know if anything can save it at this point?"

Unless they get the ghost of Donna summer to play all three Donna Summers.
"

I’m totally here for a fourth-character addition of “Ghost Donna”. I really feel like they didn’t explore that part of her life in too much detail in the show.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

EJ24642 Profile Photo
EJ24642
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 9:12pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "For January closings, I think we're looking at:

The inevitable: OOTI,HOH
The rumored:Kinky Boots
The very possible: BeautifulSummer, new additions Anastasia and Waitress

Anastasia and Waitress have to be hovering close to their break-evens, and Anastasia doesn't have a cushion of profit. Waitress isn't far off from Pippin's numbers the fall before the Weisslers closed it, unless they have another star lined up.
"

Kinky Boots is only selling through Feb. 17, but I wouldn't be surprised if it closed sooner. Also, isn't Moulin Rouge supposed to take over there?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/24/18 at 9:24pm

When they are selling to makes no difference.

The rumor is that MR isn't opening until late summer/early fall.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WestEndGal
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/23/18
Posted: 9/26/18 at 5:30pm

Bwayfan292 said: "Also Waitress has to have a big name after Nicolette, I dont think they can afford another unkown jenna. I would be shocked if they didnt announce a January closing."

I don’t see it closing in Jan but I am fearing for it a bit now. I agree, at this stage I think a big name Jenna or a bigger name Jenna is only going to cut it - at least to get grosses back into the 700/800k plus bracket. I saw an interview with Sara yesterday doing promo for West End Waitress and she said she’ll always consider keep going back on the show, but that she can’t at the moment as she’s so busy on other projects. So that rules her out in the near future. Kat McPhee has only just finished her stint so can’t see her going back so soon. Jessie Mueller .... doubt she’d consider a return after being on the show a year. How about someone like Lea Michele? She’s got the chops and she doesn’t currently have an acting role I don’t think? Then again, not sure I could see her as Jenna, idk!