Company London

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#425Company London
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:27pm

Joanne is an iconic role, and Patti is the first Joanne since Stritch to really make a mark on the role. The others were constantly compared to Stritch or accused of emulating her too much.
Joanne also gets a 15 minute scene that is centered around her, not all featured/supporting roles are that lucky.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#426Company London
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:27pm

Impossible2 said: "Is Patti's participationTHAT necessary really beyond it just having 'Patti' in it?

She does one song and is chorus in what 2 others? She didn't even make any sort of an impression on me in this when compared to the rest of the cast who were all way more memorable.
"

“He’s not who you’d call”

”shocking” 

“WILL SOMEONE GET ME A DRINKK..oh you have”

how about we spliff...”of what?”

I wish her whole scene was recorded. Those lines were expertly delivered!!!!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#427Company London
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:34pm

Patti has absolutely redefined this role, finally breaking the Stritch mold. I honestly think Stritch would’ve been over the moon to see Patti’s success as Joanne in this landmark production.
Stritch did get to see Patti in the Philharmonic concert and famously surprised her backstage on camera, it’s on YouTube.

Updated On: 4/8/19 at 06:34 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#428Company London
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:39pm

Looking at clips of that old performance with NPH though it is like a dog’s breakfast (ok not that bad but still). It is amazing how a director and proper rehersal period really makes a big difference.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/8/19 at 06:39 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#429Company London
Posted: 4/8/19 at 7:00pm

Yup, Patti said they only had a few days to rehearse for that. It was very much just a semi staged concert. Some of the vocals were a mess, which I believe Brantley or someone from the Time highlighted Patti for bringing some gusto vocally to the event.

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#430Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 2:15pm

I'm not sure how true this is, but I found this site that has the Company transfer listed for Studio 54 starting previews in Feb 2020 for a March opening. I'm not familiar with NYTix.com, but this does get me a little excited this might transfer. Also with LuPone and Craig on broad which is very nice.

https://www.nytix.com/shows/company

binau Profile Photo
binau
#431Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 2:21pm

I find it odd/am a bit skeptical, but I must admit the detail of that page (including the specific dates) is interesting. Why would it be there first though? I guess we'll see soon.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#432Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 2:47pm

I have a friend who gets a ton of emails about marketing surveys for possible Broadway shows and she got one few weeks ago about a transfer of this Company.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#433Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 2:48pm

The weird thing is, I found a whole bunch too. I'm counting this as all speculation (maybe this should be another thread, idk), but it is interesting none the less. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=broadway+lottery&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS803US803&oq=broadway+lottery&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i60l3j0.2583j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&ibp=htl;events&rciv=evn&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijpd66ssviAhXvRd8KHTiECMUQ5bwDMBB6BAgGEA4#fpstate=tldetail&htidocid=Hej1inJEHVWHM0gOJpA8-A%3D%3D&htivrt=events

Looking into this, I'm taking this with a big grain of salt as it has a musical called "Empire Records" taking the Circle in the Square in Nov for previews, which is during Oklahoma! after it extended to Jan. A lot of it is still much of what people have been speculating, minus the Titanic revival taking the Vivian Beaumont, so idk

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#434Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 2:53pm

givesmevoice said: "I have a friend who gets a ton of emails about marketing surveys for possible Broadway shows and she got one few weeks ago about a transfer of this Company. "

I received the same survey. It specifically asked who I would like to see play "Bobbie," so it seems they may be putting feelers out for a bigger name. Honestly, I would only be interested if George Blagden transferred because I binged all three seasons of Versailles in less than two weeks, my king!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#435Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 4:38pm

That link also lists “Tea at Five” at the Booth and “Dreamgirls” at the Cort. What a bizarre thing!

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#436Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 5:07pm

Jordan Catalano said: "That link also lists “Tea at Five” at the Booth and “Dreamgirls” at the Cort. What a bizarre thing!"

Tea at Five at the Booth doesn't seem too outlandish, but Dreamgirls at the Cort seems like a really bad move. However, this does give plenty of time for the Cort to get some renovations done (maybe), so maybe they are hoping to reopen the Cort anew? 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#437Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 5:33pm

NYTIX is a third-party ticket-selling website with zero credibility, and the information on it is purely speculative and should be taken with no grains of salt. Ridiculous. There are posters on here who are more reliable! I mean, it lists Some Like It Hot as opening cold at the Jacobs this fall, when Casey Nicholaw has been saying in interviews that the second act isn't even written yet.

It should go without saying:  unless a production has been announced via press release, nothing is official.

Updated On: 6/2/19 at 05:33 PM

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#438Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 5:43pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "NYTIX is a third-party ticket-selling website with zero credibility, and the information on it is purely speculative and should be taken with no grains of salt. Ridiculous.There are posters on here who are more reliable!Imean, it listsSome Like It Hotas opening cold at the Jacobs this fall, when Casey Nicholaw has been saying in interviews that the second act isn't even written yet.

It should go without saying:unless a production has been announced via press release, nothing is official.
"

Thank you for the explanation. Again, I'm never saying anything is official, or even if it turns out to be true, a lot could be coincidental/information that has not been updated. It's just fun speculation, even as a lot of it seems fishy at best

Updated On: 6/2/19 at 05:43 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#439Company London
Posted: 6/2/19 at 6:03pm

Further proof of NYTIX's ineptitude: 

– It's trying to sell people a "Broadway Discount Guide" (the same publicly-available stuff that's on BroadwayBox and other discount channels) for $4.95 for 30 days.

– MUSIC MAN at the Lyceum? LOL.

two spring 2020 openings scheduled for Circle/Square?

– still lists the Winter Garden as the Cadillac Winter Garden? 

– Factually-inaccurate paragraph with multiple spelling/grammar errors from its homepage:  "Broadway's Great White Way has over 45 theatres and about 40 Broadway shows are performing at any one time. Both new shows are opening and end-of-run shows are closing. often is the same week. Most Broadway shows do not last more than 3 months on the boards, while a few popular Broadway shows can stick around for many few years. The cost of putting on a Broadway show is quite high, so Broadway show producers often set the ticket prices high and will often discount show tickets to generate some momentum for a show if it starts to flag in ticket sales. ... The vast majority of Broadway shows do not make a profit and they may even lose money for the show investors."

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#440Company London
Posted: 2/25/20 at 2:54pm

Knowing what we know now, It's really fun/ny to go back and read the first few pages of this thread 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?