pixeltracker

Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance- Page 2

Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance

Loopin’theloop
#25Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/1/18 at 6:05pm

TFMH18 said: "Since we're speculating with abandon anyways! I will say...

Perhaps there is SOME truth to Lenk working on an ALW something?I only say it because I wonder why she was one of the chosen performers for this evening of tribute to begin with. The other performers all haveclear connections to him (save for Newell who was only added last minute when Heather Headley dropped out). Obviously it's not unbelievable that the powers that be wanted to book the most recent Tony winning best actress, but still feels very random to me.
"

A lot of ALW’s decision making is totally random. We are talking about a man, that during his drinking years would fire people in the morning and ask were they had gone after lunch, or give notes to the creative team based on things like ‘My wife gave tickets to her personal trainer and he thinks we should cut...’ 

These days however, he is desperate to be relevant. He very much jumps on board with whatever seems current. He presented an award at a British music award show, some years back and gushed and gushed about the talent of Amy Winehouse, in an uncomfortably transparent attempt to get  in her favour. Nicole Sherzinger, was another. Although that plan worked out well and she did work with him and was pretty wonderful.

There was the bizarre decision to cast a random school friend of Trevor Nunn’s son, in the role of Rum Tum Tugger, in the West End revival of ‘Cats’ without an audition (singing or dance!?) and then let this twenty something year old with no stage experience write his own rap because ALW has again become convinced that’s what would make the show current...

Or there’s his suggesting Patti Lupone for the role of Carlotta in the movie version of ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ apparently forgetting she wanted to cut out his heart. 

There’s deciding that ‘Cats’ on Broadway needed a hip hop choreographer.

There’s the nonsensical decision to get Jerry Mitchell to direct ‘Love Never Dies’ the man is extremely talented but that was always going to be a terrible match of director and material. 

There are things like ‘this song doesn’t work...let’s chsnge the wigs’ or ‘I’m going to pick someone who has never ever written lyrics for a musical before, to collaborate with me’

This is not a man whom we can really try and apply logic too...

Updated On: 10/1/18 at 06:05 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#26Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/1/18 at 8:32pm

Loopin’theloop said: "
A lot of ALW’s decision making is totally random. We are talking about a man, that during his drinking years would fire people in the morning and ask were they had gone after lunch, or give notes to the creative team based on things like ?My wife gave tickets to herpersonal trainer and he thinks we should cut...’

These days however, he is desperate to be relevant. He very much jumps on board with whatever seems current. He presented an award at a British music award show, some years back and gushed and gushed about the talent of Amy Winehouse, in an uncomfortably transparent attempt to get in her favour. Nicole Sherzinger, was another. Although that plan worked out well and she did work with him and was pretty wonderful.

There was the bizarre decision to cast a random school friend of Trevor Nunn’s son, in the role of Rum Tum Tugger,in the West End revival of ?Cats’ without an audition (singing or dance!?)and then let this twenty something year old with no stage experience write his own rap because ALW has again become convinced that’s what would make the show current...

Or there’s his suggesting Patti Lupone for the role of Carlotta in the movie version of ?The Phantom of the Opera’ apparently forgetting she wanted to cut out his heart.

There’s deciding that ?Cats’ on Broadway needed a hip hop choreographer.

There’s the nonsensical decision to get Jerry Mitchell to direct ?Love Never Dies’ the man is extremely talented but that was always going to be a terrible match of director and material.

There are things like ?this song doesn’t work...let’s chsnge the wigs’ or ?I’m going to pick someone who has never ever written lyrics for a musical before, to collaborate with me’

"

Wow - someone's upset they didn't get a callback for an ALW show

Loopin’theloop
#27Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:56am

chernjam said: "Loopin’theloop said: "
A lot of ALW’s decision making is totally random. We are talking about a man, that during his drinking years would fire people in the morning and ask were they had gone after lunch, or give notes to the creative team based on things like ?My wife gave tickets to herpersonal trainer and he thinks we should cut...’

These days however, he is desperate to be relevant. He very much jumps on board with whatever seems current. He presented an award at a British music award show, some years back and gushed and gushed about the talent of Amy Winehouse, in an uncomfortably transparent attempt to get in her favour. Nicole Sherzinger, was another. Although that plan worked out well and she did work with him and was pretty wonderful.

There was the bizarre decision to cast a random school friend of Trevor Nunn’s son, in the role of Rum Tum Tugger,in the West End revival of ?Cats’ without an audition (singing or dance!?)and then let this twenty something year old with no stage experience write his own rap because ALW has again become convinced that’s what would make the show current...

Or there’s his suggesting Patti Lupone for the role of Carlotta in the movie version of ?The Phantom of the Opera’ apparently forgetting she wanted to cut out his heart.

There’s deciding that ?Cats’ on Broadway needed a hip hop choreographer.

There’s the nonsensical decision to get Jerry Mitchell to direct ?Love Never Dies’ the man is extremely talented but that was always going to be a terrible match of director and material.

There are things like ?this song doesn’t work...let’s chsnge the wigs’ or ?I’m going to pick someone who has never ever written lyrics for a musical before, to collaborate with me’

"

"

Ha! That made me choke on a sandwich! Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#28Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/2/18 at 10:09am

Well, yeah, I'm not arguing that many of ALW's decisions are capricious. But HE himself almost certainly had no hand in deciding who performed at this event. So again, just wondering why the Wing reached out to Lenk/why Lenk herself was inclined to accept, frankly. 

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#29Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/2/18 at 10:11am

I'll believe Loopin' the Loop. There are some people in the theatre with waning relevancy who ae obsessed with what's "hot" and commercial success. Forget artistry. Forget undersung talent or looking beyond box office. That's all that matters. Sir Andrew isn't the only one. Ah well. That's showbiz, kids. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#30Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/2/18 at 10:22am

chernjam said: "Loopin’theloop said: "..."

"

yes

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#31Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/2/18 at 10:24am

Loopin’theloop said: "We are talking about a man, that during his drinking years would fire people in the morning and ask were they had gone after lunch, or give notes to the creative team based on things like ?My wife gave tickets to her personal trainer and he thinks we should cut...’

Where on earth did you get that story from?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/2/18 at 2:01pm

Riedel is such a f*cking shill for Lloyd Webber.

To be fair, you know how many shills we have around here for Sondheim?  It's okay if someone shills another composer now and again, even if you personally don't like them.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Loopin’theloop
#33Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:44pm

Lot666 said: "Loopin’theloop said: "We are talking about a man, that during his drinking years would fire people in the morning and ask were they had gone after lunch, or give notes to the creative team based on things like ?My wife gave tickets to her personal trainer and he thinks we should cut...’

"

I was there. It wasn’t his wife’s personal trainer however, it was someone even more ridiculous but I was trying to be vague. 

Unless you are talking of the firing/forgetting - in that case I was also there but it’s pretty common knowledge that was what used to happen in that era.

Updated On: 10/2/18 at 03:44 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#34Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 9:08am

Loopin’theloop said: "Lot666 said: "Loopin’theloop said: "We are talking about a man, that during his drinking years would fire people in the morning and ask were they had gone after lunch, or give notes to the creative team based on things like ?My wife gave tickets to her personal trainer and he thinks we should cut...’

"

I was there. It wasn’t his wife’s personal trainer however, it was someone even more ridiculous but I was trying to be vague.

Unless you are talking of the firing/forgetting - in that case I was also there but it’s pretty common knowledge that was what used to happen in that era.
"

If it's "pretty common knowledge", how about citing some sources?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#35Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 9:49am

Mister Matt, you're right, and it's not even that I dislike Lloyd Webber that much. It's just that I personally find Riedel so odious, and his ass-kissing of the financially successful theatre power players disgusts me even more. 

As I've said before, he doesn't like the theatre. He doesn't respect theatre people-- unless they make a lot of money. He's a troll. He should stick to right-wing talk radio for good now. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 9:59am

TFMH18 said: "Since we're speculating with abandon anyways! I will say...

Perhaps there is SOME truth to Lenk working on an ALW something?I only say it because I wonder why she was one of the chosen performers for this evening of tribute to begin with. The other performers all haveclear connections to him (save for Newell who was only added last minute when Heather Headley dropped out). Obviously it's not unbelievable that the powers that be wanted to book the most recent Tony winning best actress, but still feels very random to me.
"

There are dozens and dozens of events like this every year and they almost always feature performers who have negligible or no connections to the nominees or the host organization. Having a breakout star and Tony winner like Katrina Lenk sing is par for the course. It's about whatever gets people to attend and write checks.

For instance- MCC's annual Miscast gala almost always features a slate of performers who have never performed at MCC and usually have no connections what-so-ever with the honoree of the gala.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Loopin’theloop
#37Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 11:03am

Lot666 said: "Loopin’theloop said: "Lot666 said: "Loopin’theloop said: "We are talking about a man, that during his drinking years would fire people in the morning and ask were they had gone after lunch, or give notes to the creative team based on things like ?My wife gave tickets to her personal trainer and he thinks we should cut...’

"

"

If it's "pretty common knowledge", how about citing some sources?
"

what sources are they going to be exactly? It’s common knowledge within the theatre industry. Do you need me to send you a YouTube link of Patti Lupone calling him an alcoholic to be more satisfying? Or do you want me to give you lists of the various people whom I worked with, whilst working under him? What are you going to do with that information? Are you going to then Facebook them to ask for their account?

come on now.

common knowledge means common knowledge within the industry not in the wider world because nobody in gossip columns cares.

Go to an industry party wait until people are on their third glass and ask, if you need to. 

Updated On: 10/3/18 at 11:03 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#38Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 12:02pm

Loopin’theloop said: "common knowledge means common knowledge within the industry not in the wider world because nobody in gossip columns cares.

Go to an industry party wait until people are on their third glass and ask, if you need to."

Ah, hearsay. That's what I thought.

Loopin’theloop
#39Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 1:22pm

It’s not hearsay when I have first hand experience and seen it happen. Tell me exactly the sort of ‘evidence’ you expect? Do you seriously expect that any working theatre professional is going to tell you their name or the names of other people in the room? And if I did give you those kind of examples, what are you going to do with them? They are hardly concrete evidence either. ‘I was there and so was Trixie McTruffle during her put in rehearsal and ALW walked in and he fired the company manager, whilst drunk’

Or are you hoping for me to tell you specificslly what show and year, etc? Because that isn’t going to make it sound any less like hearsay because I still could’ve made that up.

I’m sorry to tell you that I didn’t happen to record the incident on my phone at the time. I’m just being a naughty gossip and there’s nothing I can do to make the story seem like gospel, nor is there any need to. You can choose to believe what you wish because that is how gossip works!

#40Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 1:26pm

Ok, folks, hearsay, gossip, whatever it might be, it's probably time to cut that out, and get the conversation back onto the topic at hand. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#41Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 2:02pm

I mean, it doesn't surprise me that a conversation was had. How many times have I went to investigate a show after hearing an interview with someone who was attached with it.

Also, the recent revival of "Falsettos" got off the ground after James Lapine asked Jordan Roth what his dream show would be. Stranger things have happened. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#42Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/3/18 at 8:57pm

"It's just that I personally find Riedel so odious"

Agreed.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#43Riedel on revival talk for ALW's Song and Dance
Posted: 10/4/18 at 11:41am

Mister Matt said: ""It's just that I personally find Riedel so odious"