TKTS Tips

theatrical<3
#1TKTS Tips
Posted: 9/29/18 at 9:37pm

Hey everyone! I've never used TKTS before and I was wondering if anyone has any tips? I read what they had on the website but is there anything else that would be nice to know? Thanks!:))

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#2TKTS Tips
Posted: 9/29/18 at 9:48pm

1) Go to Lincoln Center (a quick hop on the #1 train)

2) There's a shorter plays-only line in Times Square

3) If you've already bought one ticket at TKTS (and have the stub) you can skip the line for the rest of the week

Updated On: 9/29/18 at 09:48 PM

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#3TKTS Tips
Posted: 9/29/18 at 9:50pm

MarkBearSF said: "
3) If you've already bought one ticket at TKTS (and have the stub) you can skip the line for the rest of the week"

... i've used TKTS for a decade and I've never known this.

... i've wasted... so much time...

Broadway World's Fireman.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#4TKTS Tips
Posted: 9/29/18 at 10:19pm

Sondheimite said: "MarkBearSF said: "
3) If you've already bought one ticket at TKTS (and have the stub) you can skip the line for the rest of the week"

... i've used TKTS for a decade and I've never known this.

... i've wasted... so much time...
"

Don’t feel too bad! They just added the “fastpass” a couple years ago, I think!

JustAnotherNewYorker
#5TKTS Tips
Posted: 10/1/18 at 12:02am

If you'll be seeing a matinee, the locations that open later (e.g., downtown) sell tickets the day before, giving you more time to plan your day.

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#6TKTS Tips
Posted: 10/1/18 at 7:47am

If you have the app and look up the Lincoln Ceneter location, that office now displays the prices of the tickets, along with the discount. Makes it much easier for budgeting and eliminates the suspense of “50% off of what?”

OneSingularSensation2
#7TKTS Tips
Posted: 10/1/18 at 3:18pm

I'm seeing prices for the Times Square location within the app as well - that's a nice addition, thanks for the heads up.

Just chiming in to mention that the Lincoln Center location is inside, which is great when the weather's nasty. Free wifi too. The LC location starts selling evening performance tickets at noon, which is 2-3 hours earlier than the Times Square location (though I believe the South Street Seaport booth begins at 11a). 

And not so much a tip as an anecdote... friend and I wanted to see Come From Away this past winter. No TKTS tickets available when we got to the booth (at the time, it seemed like they'd been for sale at TKTS maybe once a month). Rather than get tickets to something else right then, we decided to step away and look at The Band's Visit on Stubhub. Got back in line to buy tickets for some show I can't even remember. And then, magically, Come From Away appeared on the board. I was so thankful we hadn't just gotten tickets to another show - I guess the moral of the story is to have an idea what you most want to see, how much you're willing to pay per show, etc. And cross your fingers for good luck!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#8TKTS Tips
Posted: 10/1/18 at 4:01pm

If you don't really care what you see, try going within the last 30 minutes before curtain. Discounts for whatever is left over within the last half hour tends to drop if they were not already at 50% (rare to see anything more then that) but you'll need to pick something right around Time Square or be prepared to book it for a theatre further off that central section.

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#9TKTS Tips
Posted: 10/1/18 at 5:35pm

OneSingularSensation2 said: "I'm seeing prices for the Times Square location within the app as well - that's a nice addition, thanks for the heads up."

Haha I saw that they just started doing that today after I posted about how great it is that LC does it. It's a much more useful number I think, so I'm happy all locations are doing it now. 

Videos