pixeltracker

BAT OUT OF HELL Will Play 8 Weeks At NY City Center In 2019- Page 16

BAT OUT OF HELL Will Play 8 Weeks At NY City Center In 2019

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#375Down to One
Posted: 7/10/19 at 12:46pm

RippedMan said: "I have friends in the show and just haven’t seen much of anything."

Are your friends worried about the run being cut short? How much does the producer have to recoup to make money?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#376Down to One
Posted: 7/10/19 at 1:15pm

Maybe being hesitant given it’s history? But I’d think Lena Hall being involved is a positive sign.

Star87
#377Down to One
Posted: 7/10/19 at 2:18pm

I guess so. As a Canadian, I didn't consider that part of the US Tour, more of a warm-up. But technically, yes. I happened to be at the last show. It was sad, you could tell the cast and crew were up-set (during the bows, not the show).

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#378Down to One
Posted: 7/10/19 at 2:20pm

LizzieCurry said: "By...?"

By the show's account, by Andrew Polec's account, and by Oxford Adams Associates, the talent rep for the show's choreographer.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#379Down to One
Posted: 7/10/19 at 9:55pm

From Andrew Polec's Facebook page :

https://www.facebook.com/1603240716555056/posts/2355087254703728/

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#380Down to One
Posted: 7/11/19 at 12:45pm

According to this Broadway World article, Bat Out of Hell has been added to the Broadway in Bryant Park lineup.

rg7759
#381Down to One
Posted: 7/11/19 at 1:34pm

f*&k, that presentation is making me want to buy a ticket to this POS

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#382Down to One
Posted: 7/11/19 at 1:40pm

rg7759 said: "f*&k, that presentation is making me want to buy a ticket to this POS"

Do it!  I'll see you there 8/20.

And you've probably seen much worse in your time.  This may become a guilty pleasure.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#383Down to One
Posted: 7/11/19 at 1:58pm

Too bad they never fixed the audio.

SmoothLover
#384Down to One
Posted: 7/11/19 at 3:33pm

The show is going to draw an interesting crowd of baby boomers that is for sure.

scarlet721
#385Down to One
Posted: 7/11/19 at 6:49pm

I was at the Broadway in Bryant Park concert today and enjoyed all three songs. I have no idea about the plot, and when Delilah from Lite FM was talking about it I felt like I was hearing some talk about Dance of the Vampires or Lestat....

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#386Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 1:45am

scarlet721 said: "I was at the Broadway in Bryant Park concert today and enjoyed all three songs. I have no idea about the plot, and when Delilah from Lite FM was talking about it I felt like I was hearing some talk about Dance of the Vampires or Lestat...."

I'm thinking more akin to We Will Rock You.  Post-Apocalyptic setting, star=crossed lovers...you get the picture.  Throw in elements of the lost boys of Neverland and stir it up with Wagnerian rock songs.  See what you get.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#387Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 10:13am

I could be reading my own view into their choice of titles, but I think they were saying it sounds like a flop, not making a direct comparison.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

scarlet721
#388Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 10:24am

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "scarlet721 said: "I was at the Broadway in Bryant Park concert today and enjoyed all three songs. I have no idea about the plot, and when Delilah from Lite FM was talking about it I felt like I was hearing some talk about Dance of the Vampires or Lestat...."

I'm thinking more akin to We Will Rock You. Post-Apocalyptic setting, star=crossed lovers...you get the picture. Throw in elements of the lost boys of Neverland and stir it up with Wagnerian rock songs. See what you get.

"

Yes, WWRY also crossed my mind, mostly due to the look of the singers, but I think because I was in a Jim Steinman state of mind, DOTV was the first thought.

I am seeing it on 8-11, so I'll weigh in then.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#389Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 11:25am

V2David
#390Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 12:34pm

We Will Rock You is probably the best comparison. Big bombastic set. Post Apocalyptic. Forbidden love. Wasted Youth. Rock 'n Roll jukebox with a great soundtrack.

It is a great show for those who like this type of show. For those who don't, they will probably loathe it. I can't wait to see it again!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#391Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 12:41pm

While the comparison to We Will Rock You is fair for all the reasons V2David writes, I did not enjoy We Will Rock You.  It was just....just...just...bad even with the great songs.

But, Bat Out of Hell is so wild, ridiculous, over the top, nonsensical but filled with energy that I had a - if not great - a truly excellent time.  My spouse, on the other hand, enjoyed it much less.

I think We Will Rock You just tried to be silly and a parody of itself and, for me, lacked a creative stage presence. Bat Out of Hell seems to be aware of its lunacy, but embraces it and turns it up to 11 and has lots of creativity. I do wish I could see Bat Out of Hell again - #*(&# tour producers.

scarlet721
#392Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 3:42pm

since i enjoyed WWRY in both London and Toronto (and am looking forward to it again in November, and i love steinman's music, i'm looking forward to this, but keeping my expectations middling, so i hopefully won't be disappointed.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#393Down to One
Posted: 7/12/19 at 5:03pm

SmoothLover said: "The show is going to draw an interesting crowd of baby boomers that is for sure."

This baby boomer  (11/30/1947) absolutely  can't wait.  Flying in from California (under my own Bat power) to see the show.  Yes, I'm mildly obsessed.  Think I'll enjoy this much more than We Will Rock You.

SmoothLover
#394Down to One
Posted: 7/13/19 at 1:03pm

With so many theatres closed they should have chosen a Broadway theatre for Tony consideration. Working in a Broadway theatre could have given them more exposure in the long rung and it might have boosted cast recording sales.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#395Down to One
Posted: 7/15/19 at 3:38pm

Appreciated knowledgeable recommendations on this one: Have orchestra, row L for 8/20 performance, but am now considering second visit on 8/21 or 8/22. Is front row of the balcony waaay far from the stage and would I do better with a mezzanine seat? Will purchase a single in any section but premium seats. Side orchestra/closer to stage is also being considered.
Thanks all.

mag78
#396Down to One
Posted: 7/15/19 at 7:02pm

i've seen a lot of shows at City Center, and i've also seen BOOH repeatedly in both London and TO.  for me personally, i prefer to be closer/see the performers faces.

in your shoes, i would go with the less expensive side orchestra seats.  but, that's me.  i do that at most theater... i'd rather be close-ish and on the far side than upstairs and center.

as to the balcony at city center... i find it to be all right if i'm in one of the first couple of rows.  again, i'd take one of the first rows of the balcony on the far side rather than further back in the balcony but in the center.

hope that helps!

(ps... i mostly lurk here but I've been following this thread closely!  i first saw BOOH almost by accident when i had a show slot to fill in London early during its first run there.  it's a ridiculous and cheesy show but the music and the cast are fantastic and i had an awesome time.  very glad that we'll be getting 3 of the London leads.  (plus the amazing Lena Hall) since then i've seen it several times in London and TO.... and i may have gotten one audience rewards ticket for each week that it'll be running in NY.... how could I not, that was a great deal!)    Down to One

V2David
#397Down to One
Posted: 7/15/19 at 8:59pm

I like being close too, but be careful with the first few rows of orchestra to the far, far right or left. The show (at least in London) made good use of the entire stage and at differing heights. I just feel that you would miss stuff being too close up to one of the extreme sides.

Balcony seems too far to me. I wouldn't consider it (unless it is the only thing in your price range).

Now if you want to sit close up, then center orchestra is of course going to be great. The show performers are phenomenal & there is a ton of energy to the show. But those seats (right now) are going for a premium.

(*Disclaimer: I have only seen the show at the Dominion in London & have no idea how it will be at City Center. Also I personally bought seats in the first row of the Grand Tier for NYCC).

Updated On: 7/15/19 at 08:59 PM

V2David
#398Down to One
Posted: 7/15/19 at 9:07pm

If you are going to the show a 2nd time and only need a single seat, I would wait to purchase. I'm not sure what they are doing with the first 3 rows (are they even selling them or rush seats?) But I think you are going to be able to find an amazing seat for a ridiculous price if you only need 1 seat. At least that is what I would do...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#399Down to One
Posted: 7/15/19 at 9:44pm

The promo vids looks wicked fun!

City Center is a gorgeous venue. The Balcony is very high up and steep but there are bathrooms and a bar. The view is fine but hard to see further back into the stage. I’ve only seen Encore’s shows there so no clue how the view will be for this. Not sure If the set is deep or not.