pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 13

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

Globefan
#300COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/23/22 at 7:39pm

ACL2006 said: "Can't believe we have to wait a whole year for this movie."

It's ridiculous, but I'm willing to stick it out. 

Updated On: 10/23/22 at 07:39 PM

teddy1996
#301COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/25/22 at 8:37am

anyone in this thread who has seen the screenings are so lucky. i wanna know everything. i wanna know how all of the cast did, i wanna know what the musical numbers look like, i wanna know the differences between this film and the musical, and i wanna know how long it is. someone please fill me in lol 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#302COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/25/22 at 9:34am

I'm curious to hear about the Church Ladies' roles. Apparently they're only in the opening. And how much of a cameo does Whoopi have?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

teddy1996
#303COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/28/22 at 8:59am

did anyone see the screening in LA last night? 

verywellthensigh
#304COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/28/22 at 9:29am

How much of Celie and Shug's queerness did they erase this time?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#305COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:51am

verywellthensigh said: "How much of Celie and Shug's queerness did they erase this time?"

Why are you assuming they did? 

verywellthensigh
#306COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/28/22 at 12:09pm

It's rather clear with each incarnation of this story the queer element disappears more and more.  In the last revival, it was pretty much nonexistent. 

dyemery
#307COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/31/22 at 8:52am

I'm wondering if that'll change here seeing as how the screenwriter of this new adaptation, Marcus Gardley, is queer. It would be weird having hired someone like him only to just continually leave that subplot out into the dust like the other adaptations of the book (especially nowadays).

teddy1996
#308COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/31/22 at 9:05am

dyemery said: "I'm wondering if that'll change here seeing as how the screenwriter of this new adaptation, Marcus Gardley, is queer. It would be weird having hired someone like him only to just continually leave that subplot out into the dust like the other adaptations of the book (especially nowadays)."

they definitely won’t leave out the celie and shug subplot. this movie will go back to the roots of the book

Hamilfan2
#309COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 10/31/22 at 11:36pm

I can confirm the movie paints the relationship as unambiguously queer.  They kiss and are seen waking up in bed together.

teddy1996
#310COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/1/22 at 8:32am

Hamilfan2 said: "I can confirm the movie paints the relationship as unambiguously queer. They kiss and are seen waking up in bed together."

that’s what i love to hear. i wanna know everything about this movie. from the cast to the musical numbers to the differences between the musical and film etc. i sent you a personal message. 

Globefan
#311COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/16/22 at 2:11pm

If Fantasia wins the Oscar, it'll be like the moment she won Idol. 

parkerjonesj
#312COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/17/22 at 9:47am

Globefan said: "If Fantasia wins the Oscar, it'll be like the moment she won Idol."

Funny that you say that. If she wins it'll be like 2 months shy of exactly 20 years since she won. AND it'll be on the very same stage - the Kodak Theater. That would be a beautiful full circle moment. 

Globefan
#313COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/17/22 at 12:57pm

parkerjonesj said: "Globefan said: "If Fantasia wins the Oscar, it'll be like the moment she won Idol."

Funny that you say that. If she wins it'll be like 2 months shy of exactly 20 years since she won. AND it'll be on the very same stage - the Kodak Theater. That would be a beautiful full circle moment.
"

If her film performance is anything like her Broadway performance, she'll be the frontrunner immediately. 

teddy1996
#314COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/4/22 at 4:14pm

my friend’s roommate who saw an early screening told me that some of the songs are arranged differently. hopefully for the best. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#315COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/4/22 at 5:26pm

Globefan said: "parkerjonesj said: "Globefan said: "If Fantasia wins the Oscar, it'll be like the moment she won Idol."

"

If her film performance is anything like her Broadway performance, she'll be the frontrunner immediately.
"

Her broad facial reactions translate well to the back of the balcony, but it remains to be seen if she can tone it down for the screen.

Globefan
#316COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:43pm

I think we'll get our first teaser trailer for the movie by spring 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#317COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:57pm

If it’s coming out in December? No chance. 

Globefan
#318COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/4/22 at 10:16pm

I think it's gonna be a great movie. 

parkerjonesj
#319COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/5/22 at 11:05am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "If it’s coming out in December? No chance."

I don't know....there has to be a reason why they're going through post over a year a head of release. Maybe they're planning on premiering it at a festival in the spring. I've got a feeling that WB is really going to push this one. 

BroadwayNYC2
#320COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/5/22 at 11:21am

There’s a long post because they are pushing for a Holiday/Oscars release date. They would have missed this year, and releasing it in the spring wouldn’t have made sense if they are pushing for Oscars come following winter. Promotion windows are shrinking as the industry changes, you want to condense the hype.

parkerjonesj
#321COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/5/22 at 12:13pm

This part I understand but they've also been doing test screenings since at least September which leads me to believe the promo might start a bit earlier than expected. 

BroadwayNYC2
#322COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/5/22 at 12:58pm

Test screenings won’t affect promo dates, it will decide how it’s cut. And with the long period between wrap and release, it’s clear they want to get this right. 

Gold909
#323COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/6/22 at 11:55pm

It could premiere at Cannes Film Festival also when someone asked when we will get a sneak peak of the movie, Blitz the director commented “soon”

teddy1996
#324COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/20/22 at 12:11am

the movie officially premieres exactly one year from today.