Broadway in Boston

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#1Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 12:25pm

Any other broadway in Boston subscribers out there? Id love to create a little Boston community here, since (at least from what I read) there seems to a lot of people from the area on here. In general, what does everyone think of this current season thus far? Any shows in particular you/re excited for? Any great local theatre offerings around people should know about? What shows are you looking forward to for the next season? Would love to discuss with you all!

barcelona20
#2Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 12:49pm

Go check out college productions. Emerson, Boston Conservatory, Harvard, BC, BU, Northeastern, MIT.  Talented performers and much cheaper!

AllThatJazz2
#3Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 1:51pm

Not a Boston subscriber, though I see shows there frequently. Seeing The Wolves at the Lyric Stage this weekend, and have tickets for School of Rock and Miss Saigon when they come to the Boston Opera House (waiting for Dear Evan Hansen and Hello, Dolly to open up regular ticket sales, then getting those as well). Always love a discussion about area shows!

Mike Barrett
#4Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 2:06pm

AllThatJazz2 said: "Not a Boston subscriber, though I see shows there frequently. Seeing The Wolves at the Lyric Stage this weekend, and have tickets for School of Rock and Miss Saigon when they come to the Boston Opera House (waiting for Dear Evan Hansen and Hello, Dolly to open up regular ticket sales, then getting those as well). Always love a discussion about area shows!"

Please report back on how Wolves is!! I have tickets for Black Oddessy at Trinity Rep in Providence (not Boston, but still local NE theatre) and have heard mix to positive reviews. Im excited to see the show however. I excited to see School of Rock as Im looking for just a fun night at the theatre for that one, Miss Saigon I have never seen or really listened to to be honest, so that is very exciting to see. And of course Ive been waiting years to see Dear Evan Hansen so I cannot wait for that one! Also excited for Les Miserables as that will be another first experience! 

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#5Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 2:11pm

I like Lyric Stage and Speakeasy Stage, and have subscribed to both at times. They do a wide range of plays and musicals, great talent pool and production value. I've seen Floyd Collins, Wild Party, BatBoy, pretty much the entire Sondheim canon, including Saturday Night. Just saw Fun Home at Speakeasy a couple of months ago. And Lyric is doing Pacific Overtures in May/June.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 2:26pm

I don't see too many tours, the houses are too big but I like to see more original shows at the Huntington and the ART, sometimes I make it Speakeasy.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#7Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 2:33pm

Also not a subscriber, but I see a lot of shows at the Lyric/Huntington/Speakeasy. Most recently ADH2 1st preview. It'd be great to have a little Boston BWW group to see shows with!

theaterdarling
#8Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 3:37pm

I too mostly avoid the big tours, but Huntington and A.R.T are musts. Usually two or three shows each season at each of these companies are standouts. Just saw Cristofer's "Man In the Ring"  directed (yay!) by Michael Greif at Huntington --though needs some further tweaking, it was quite the theatrical gift and I hope it has a future life --also hope others here in Boston got the chance to see it. Thoughts of those who saw it? Also loved "The Niceties" at Huntington before it went on to MTC--it seemed to have flown under the radar in NY perhaps got lost amidst numerous plays dealing with race this season. It was also somewhat dismissed as being too didactic - which I did not find at all. Lisa Banes was wonderful. Will love Huntington forever for importing Maria Friedman's "Merrily We Roll Along" in its previous season.

Have grown increasingly impressed with Speakeasy. Based on the quality of "Between Riverside and Crazy,"  which I loved,  I then ventured to see "Small Mouth Sounds" (ends Feb 3 I think) and enjoyed it as well but not as much (I must admit, really would have loved to see what Rachel Chavkin did with it at Ars Nova a few years ago ). Look forward to their upcoming "School Girls: Or the  African Mean Girls Play" in May.Had missed these in NY and am glad could catch them with locally with adept productions.

Am looking forward to seeing Bill Rauch's Othello at ART next week. A.R.T's recent National Theater/West Yorkshire theater import "Barbershop Chronicles" was wonderful and though I disliked "Jagged Little Pill" profusely, I am glad it was in our backyard to see first and I hope a new, very improved version surfaces eventually. Too many good shows at A.R.T. overall to mention, though was not generally as impressed with the 2018-2019 season as with previous seasons.

Have generally been disappointed with Lyric, but always keep an open mind.

Go Pats.

Mike Barrett
#9Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 4:13pm

Does everyone avoid the tours because of the Opera House? I generally think they have good sight lines, but I could just be used to it after all these years of seeing shows there. Another fan of the Huntington and Lyric here, rarely am disappointed! I admit I need to go to the A.R.T more. Hoping to catch some this year

AllThatJazz2
#10Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 4:30pm

Mike Barrett said: "Does everyone avoid the tours because of the Opera House? I generally think they have good sight lines, but I could just be used to it after all these years of seeing shows there. Another fan of the Huntington and Lyric here, rarely am disappointed! I admit I need to go to the A.R.T more. Hoping to catch some this year"

I enjoy the tours, but I make it to NYC often enough that when the shows tour here, I've already seen most of them. I only tend to see the touring production if it's a show that I didn't manage to catch before, if there is someone attached to the cast I'm dying to see, or it's a production that I absolutely loved and don't mind paying to see again. School of Rock and Miss Saigon will be new experiences for me, but I've seen DEH and Hello, Dolly already on Broadway and loved them enough to revisit (Dolly three times...clearly I don't have an issue seeing that again!)

With the way prices have crept up as well, if I'm going to pay a hefty price for tickets, I'd rather do it on Broadway than at home, especially since most are smaller houses than the Opera House. 

I also have a subscription to the Seacoast Rep in Portsmouth, so between that, NYC trips, and the various smaller theaters locally (I've been a past subscriber to A.R.T. and take in a fair few Huntington shows as well - Merrily We Roll Along being a highlight for me), something has to give somewhere, lol. Can't see everything!

Edited because Merrily was in 2017, not 2018 - time flies!

Updated On: 1/28/19 at 04:30 PM

Mike Barrett
#11Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 4:36pm

AllThatJazz2 said: "Mike Barrett said: "Does everyone avoid the tours because of the Opera House? I generally think they have good sight lines, but I could just be used to it after all these years of seeing shows there. Another fan of the Huntington and Lyric here, rarely am disappointed! I admit I need to go to the A.R.T more. Hoping to catch some this year"

I enjoy the tours, but I make it to NYCoften enough that when the shows tour here, I've already seen most of them.I only tend to see the touring productionif it's a show that I didn't manage to catch before, if there is someone attached to the cast I'm dying to see, or it's a production that I absolutely loved and don't mind paying to see again. School of Rock and Miss Saigon will be new experiences for me, but I've seen DEH and Hello, Dolly already on Broadway and loved them enough to revisit (Dolly three times...clearly I don't have anissue seeing that again!)

With the way prices have crept up as well, if I'm going to pay a hefty price for tickets, I'd rather do it on Broadway than at home, especially since most are smaller houses than the Opera House.

I also have a subscription to the Seacoast Rep in Portsmouth, so between that, NYC trips, and the various smaller theaters locally (I've been a past subscriber to A.R.T. and take in a fair few Huntington shows as well - Merrily We Roll Along being a highlight for me last year), something has to give somewhere, lol. Can't see everything!
"

For a subscription, the prices for Broadway in Boston aren't too bad in my opinion, without that discount though, ya its expensive. Until this year I never really got to NYC but this year I have, although I make it more a priority to see plays when Im there. I find they usually get most if not all of the big tours, which is pretty great considering how close we are to NYC. I did see Dolly as well with Bernadette and am excited to see it one more time with Betty! Every other show this season will be new for me. Not sure if Ill see a Bronx Tale or not though. 

Ive heard the seacoast rep is great! My sister goes to UNH and she saw In The Heights their last season and said it was amazing! Ill have to head up sometime, has been awhile since I've been to Portsmouth as well. 

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#12Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 4:40pm

Generally I like Huntington, Lyric, Speakeasy, and ART. When Huntington had Merrily We Roll Along it was stupendous. I don't subscribe to Broadway in Boston because I'm not interested in all the shows (and I could never afford a subscription even if I were), but I do see some national tours with them.

Arts Emerson had Born For This last summer. It was terrific.

theaterdarling
#13Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 7:39pm

Mike Barrett said: "Does everyone avoid the tours because of the Opera House? I generally think they have good sight lines, but I could just be used to it after all these years of seeing shows there. 

ditto what allthatjazz2 said - would rather spend the money to see the original production in New York in smaller theaters.  

Do also want to endorse ArtsEmerson as others have - some incredible stuff, much of it  internationally sourced. Most memorable to date from their season before last was the 20th anniversary Druid Theater production of "Beauty Queen of Leenane."  Still haunts me. Couldn't believe my extreme good fortune to see that incredible production in Boston. Greatly looking forward to the remounting of Stephen Daldry's National Theater Production of "An Inspector Calls" coming up at AE in March.

Updated On: 1/28/19 at 07:39 PM

mcsquared
#14Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 8:05pm

Just moved from Boston but just made a weekend trip back to see some showsthe Christine Ebersole and Seth Rudetsky concert at calderwood, the wolves at the lyric, miss you like hell at art(Oberon) and dollhouse part 2 at Huntington. Will probably be back in May to see African mean girls and pacific overtures.

AllThatJazz2
#15Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/28/19 at 9:39pm

theaterdarling said: "Greatly looking forward to the remounting of Stephen Daldry's National Theater Production of "An Inspector Calls" coming up at AE in March."

I have tickets to An Inspector Calls as well and I am very much looking forward to that production. I found the film with David Thewlis very unsettling in the best way, and I can't wait to experience that story on the stage. 

Mike Barrett said: "For a subscription, the prices for Broadway in Boston aren't too bad in my opinion, without that discount though, ya its expensive. Until this year I never really got to NYC but this year I have, although I make it more a priority to see plays when Im there. I find they usually get most if not all of the big tours, which is pretty great considering how close we are to NYC. I did see Dolly as well with Bernadette and am excited to see it one more time with Betty! Every other show this season will be new for me. Not sure if Ill see a Bronx Tale or not though. 

Ive heard the seacoast rep is great! My sister goes to UNH and she saw In The Heights their last season and said it was amazing! Ill have to head up sometime, has been awhile since I've been to Portsmouth as well."

My issue with the Boston Opera House subscription is that so far there's always been a couple productions I just have no interest in, which dilutes the value a bit for me (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and A Bronx Tale being two this season that didn't pique my interest). 

Seacoast Rep is fantastic. It's a small venue but they are incredibly creative with how they use the space. I've been continuously impressed by their productions. My mother and I went on a lark to see their Spamalot and we just kept coming back. In the Heights was wonderful. You can really see the passion and care in their work. 

Mike Barrett
#16Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/29/19 at 6:58am

AllThatJazz2 said: "theaterdarling said: "Greatly looking forward to the remounting of Stephen Daldry's National Theater Production of "An Inspector Calls" coming up at AE in March."

I have tickets to An Inspector Calls as well and I am very much looking forward to that production. I found the film with David Thewlis very unsettling in the best way, and I can't wait to experience that storyon the stage.

Mike Barrett said: "For a subscription, the prices for Broadway in Boston aren't too bad in my opinion, without that discount though, ya its expensive. Until this year I never really got to NYC but this year I have, although I make it more a priority to see plays when Im there. I find they usually get most if not all of the big tours, which is pretty great considering how close we are to NYC. I did see Dolly as well with Bernadette and am excited to see it one more time with Betty! Every other show this season will be new for me. Not sure if Ill see a Bronx Tale or not though.

Ive heard the seacoast rep is great! My sister goes to UNH and she saw In The Heights their last season and said it was amazing! Ill have to head up sometime, has been awhile since I've been to Portsmouth as well."

My issue with the Boston Opera House subscription is that so far there's always been a couple productions I just have no interest in, which dilutes the value a bit for me (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and A Bronx Tale being two this season that didn't pique my interest).

Seacoast Rep is fantastic. It's a small venue but they are incredibly creative with how they use the space. I've been continuously impressed by their productions. My mother and I went on a lark to see their Spamalot and we just kept coming back. In the Heights was wonderful. You can really see the passion and care in their work.
"

That is fair, I have no interest in Charlie this season, but will likely try out a Bronx tale, I do use it as an opportunity to catch up on musicals I never see in NY. For example I've yet to see Evan Hansen so I am very excited about that. I'm hoping next season there's no Charlie type show, if anytbing it'll be Anastasia or something which id skip, but more often than not I see 6/7 or 5/6 or 7/8 shows given to us. I do perosnally believe they provide a decent variety, and am very excited to see what they bring us next season. 

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#17Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/30/19 at 11:31pm

Non-subscriber Boston resident here. Anything offered through BiB I will almost always have seen in NY. That said, I'm hoping Moulin Rouge and Magic Mike (!) portend a return of Boston's once esteemed rep as a pre-Broadway tryout town. I saw some great, and not-so-great, shows back in the day.
I do see almost everything at ART, Lyric, Speakeasy. I've also been enjoying Long Wharf and Gloucester Stage this past year.

Mike: definitely put Hadestown on your May trip. It shouldn't be missed.

Mike Barrett
#18Broadway in Boston
Posted: 1/31/19 at 6:33am

Susanswerphone said: "Non-subscriber Boston resident here. Anything offered through BiB I will almost always have seen in NY. That said, I'm hoping Moulin Rouge and Magic Mike (!) portend a return of Boston's once esteemed rep as a pre-Broadway tryout town. I saw some great, and not-so-great, shows back in the day.
I do see almost everything at ART, Lyric, Speakeasy. I've also been enjoying Long Wharf and Gloucester Stage this past year.

Mike: definitely put Hadestown on your May trip. It shouldn't be missed.

"

That is the one musical I was really thinking of catching this season, as I feel it can't be replicated on tour. That's why I generally see plays when I'm in NYC because they don't tour quite as often sadly. I see almost all of my musicals thru Broadway in Boston, again because I can't get to NYC quite as often. 

AllThatJazz2
#19Broadway in Boston
Posted: 2/2/19 at 8:34pm

Saw The Wolves today at the Lyric Stage and absolutely loved it. Fantastic cast and really enjoyed the story. Glad I managed to fit it in before it finishes its run tomorrow.

Mike Barrett
#20Broadway in Boston
Posted: 2/2/19 at 9:03pm

Broadway in Boston will be announcing their season on March 11! I know there aren't too many subcribers here, but does anyone hope to see a certain show?

mcsquared
#21Broadway in Boston
Posted: 2/11/19 at 1:44am

Probably not going to catch the touring shows in Boston but I am looking forward to Endlings at the ART next month since they’ve brought in some impressive talent for that.

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#22Broadway in Boston
Posted: 2/11/19 at 11:18am

Huntington Theatre usually has a good subscriber series each year.  Another good one is the New Rep Theatre Company in Watertown, just outside of Boston.  I agree that the Opera House has good sight lines and is much better than the Wang Barn, I mean Theatre.  The Opera House now gets many of the shows that use to go to the Wang, whose gargantuan size is terrible for seeing a show unless your in the center orchestra section.