pixeltracker

Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions- Page 2

Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 3:57pm

JSquared2 said: "devonian.t said: "JSquared2 he doesn't need to- the decision is for my own conscience.

But hey, let's all do nothing about anything.
"

Or better yet, let's use some common sense when picking your battles? Not every tinylittle perceived "injustice"requires the same level of moral outrage.
"

And what better way to fight someone you think is on a high horse than by getting a high horse of your own!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

KathyNYC2
SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#28Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 4:38pm

This ain’t a bakery. It’s still moldy bread no matter how much you sugarcoat it.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#29Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 4:39pm

Kad said: "And what better way to fight someone you think is on a high horse than by getting a high horse of your own!"

If you're fighting someone on a high horse, it helps to be at the same level, no?

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#30Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 5:00pm

Scott Rudin Saves The Day!

"'I think it's a good save from something that was, honestly, not the fault of the people who licensed it and not the fault of the people who owned the rights — which people are us — but I think ultimately for those who still can do it it's a good solution,' said Rudin. 'Everything that they licensed, we'll stand behind with ours.'

'Letting these theaters do it now is a substantial give for us, obviously, because it's really not in our interest to have the play out anywhere but on Broadway right now,' he added."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scott-rudin-responds-mockingbird-controversy-a-solution-1191752

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#31Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 5:04pm

Too late. They should have included this information with the original cease and desist letters. This is all PR control after the bad press.

The adaptions call for substantial casting differences.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#32Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 5:39pm

^ Exactly- he got called on his cruelty- notice it says nothing about if they have to pay for the rights again, when they have access to materials (as in some cases the cancelled productions were already in rehearsals), and how soon they could perform Sorkin's version- for some within the traveling distance of NYC this will do no good as 2 productions can't run at the same time as per the agreement. So it sounds nice, but it solves nothing but the bad optics of his actions.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 6:37pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "^ Exactly- he got called on his cruelty- notice it says nothing about if they have to pay for the rights again, when they have access to materials (as in some cases the cancelled productions were already in rehearsals), and how soon they could perform Sorkin's version- for some within the traveling distance of NYC this will do no good as 2 productions can't run at the same time as per the agreement. So it sounds nice, but it solves nothing but the bad optics of his actions."

It helps to read what you are reacting to first, and it also helps to know a thing or two about how contracts operate (specifically, that DPC is on the hook for the monies they improperly took from these companies. Rationality is always in short supply around here I guess.

romain2
#34Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 7:01pm

Ah Scott Rudin. He has good taste in projects but stories like this. I had the misfortune of sitting two seats down from him at a show. He and his buddy talked, whispered, snickered. I finally glared at him as did the woman in front of him. He and his friend got up and left. Very annoying.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#35Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 8:47pm

Rationality may be in short supply, but condescension never isRudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions you really set this young whipper snapper straight- the irony is I’m neither young or straight and I work in the business and have experience with contracts, but thank you. My point was more that it was bad optics on him and this is too little too late.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Rudin and Broadway MOCKINGBIRD Cancel Regional Productions
Posted: 3/1/19 at 8:56pm

well, Philly, with your contract experience I'll forgive your big booboo as an oversight. Yes the optics have been bad from the start, but hopefully you'll concede that they are not quite as bad now as they were out of the gate. And I guess it's worth mentioning that optics depend on your perspective: if you were someone to whom Rudin owes a fiduciary duty, perhaps you'd see it differently.