pixeltracker

Best Actress in a Play predictions - Page 2

Best Actress in a Play predictions

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#25Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/8/19 at 4:36pm

Broadway61004 said: "With this being such a brutal cateogry, I could see them leaving Schreck out, thinking they can reward her with a Best Play nomination whereas they can't with the others. Not that this is how they SHOULD think, but I could definitely see them doing that."

I would be flabbergasted if that happened given the reviews that she got.

smidge
#26Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:28pm

east side story said: "Uh! Billie Piper in Yerma! That performance will haunt me for as long as my memory holds up. What an earth shaking portrayal of pain and longing."

I believe the thread is just referring to the Tony Awards which Piper isn't eligible for.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#27Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:35pm

smidge said: "east side story said: "Uh! Billie Piper in Yerma! That performance will haunt me for as long as my memory holds up. What an earth shaking portrayal of pain and longing."

I believe the thread is just referring to the Tony Awards which Piper isn't eligible for.
"

And it was also last season.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#28Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/8/19 at 8:29pm

CT2NYC said: "smidge said: "east side story said: "Uh! Billie Piper in Yerma! That performance will haunt me for as long as my memory holds up. What an earth shaking portrayal of pain and longing."

"

"

I was referring to Yerma because henrikegerman mentioned, but thanks. Quite aware it was last season. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#29Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/8/19 at 8:49pm

east side story said: "CT2NYC said: "smidge said: "east side story said: "Uh! Billie Piper in Yerma! That performance will haunt me for as long as my memory holds up. What an earth shaking portrayal of pain and longing."

"

"

I was referring to Yerma becausehenrikegerman mentioned, but thanks. Quite aware it was last season.
"

My apologies. That's what I get for piggybacking on someone else's post without reading further.

smidge
#30Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/8/19 at 9:14pm

CT2NYC said: "east side story said: "CT2NYC said: "smidge said: "east side story said: "Uh! Billie Piper in Yerma! That performance will haunt me for as long as my memory holds up. What an earth shaking portrayal of pain and longing."

"

I was referring to Yerma becausehenrikegerman mentioned, but thanks. Quite aware it was last season.
"

My apologies. That's what I get for piggybacking on someone else's post without reading further."

Also sorry, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread, lol

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#31Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/9/19 at 8:09am

And I was referring to Piper’s performance not as a Tony contender. But for blocking some of Jackson’s Lear award vector in London.

Just as May might well do here

Please see my post

Jarethan
#32Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/9/19 at 4:00pm

Broadway61004 said: "Agree that May is the frontrunner by far, but I actually think her closest competition may end up being Donnelly, who is starring in the co-frontrunner for Best Play that is still running and is also in a play based on an event that caused tragedy in her own family. That could easily drum up a ton of emotional support from the voters. But I agree May is still way out in front (and deservedly so)."

I assumed that Laura Donnelly left the show with the rest of the London cast, in which case her chances of winning are seriously hurt.  I don't think matters, however, as I imagine Elaine May will be a shoo-in.  Jackson did not receive universal praise and the show's overall reviews would have sent up a closing notice pretty quickly, if not for Jackson.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#33Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/23/19 at 11:09am

With all plays officially open now (except INK which does not have a female lead) we can more safely predict this category. I think the lukewarm reviews for All My Sons mean Bening will not make the cut (though she received positive notices, they weren't positive enough to transcend the show). My official prediction is: 

Laura Donnelly
Glenda Jackson
Elaine May
Laurie Metcalf 
Heidi Schreck

And I think as far as the winner goes, it's May's to lose, but she could receive some fierce competition from Metcalf and Schreck.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#34Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/23/19 at 11:15am

TFMH18 said: "With all plays officially open now (except INK which does not have a female lead) we can more safely predict this category. I think the lukewarm reviews for All My Sons mean Bening will not make the cut (though she received positive notices, they weren't positive enough to transcend the show). My official prediction is:

Laura Donnelly
Glenda Jackson
Elaine May
Laurie Metcalf
Heidi Schreck

And I think as far as the winner goes, it's May's to lose, but she could receive some fierce competition from Metcalf and Schreck.
"

Where did you get that the reviews for All My Sons are "lukewarm?" Other than Jesse Green's pan, the reaction was extremely positive.

Updated On: 4/23/19 at 11:15 AM

The Other One
#35Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/23/19 at 9:08pm

None of you think Janet McTeer has a shot at a nomination?

52889j
#36Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/23/19 at 10:06pm

The Other One said: "None of you think Janet McTeer has a shot at a nomination?"

I would love to see it happen, but it was just too long ago. A great performance in a forgettable play.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#37Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/23/19 at 11:35pm

McTeer’s performance on its own was definitely worthy of awards recognition. But like the poster above said, it’s long forgotten. Personally I would put McTeer over Schrek and maybe even Metcalf

Esther
#38Best Actress in a Play predictions
Posted: 4/24/19 at 12:01pm

May's tricky. Her performance was astonishing, but she probably couldn'tcare less about winning an award (and didn't do any press for Waverly).It would also be ahistoric win: in the last 30 yearsthe only person to win Best Actress for a show that closed before nominations was Cynthia Nixon for Rabbit Hole(and even that closed in early April of '06)."

That year, ALL the nominees for Lead Actress were from plays that had closed by the time the Tony nominations were announced-

Nixon, Lisa Kron/Well, Lynn Refgrave & Kate Burton/The Constant Wife & Judy Kaye/Souvenir.