Beetlejuice or Hadestown?

nicolep76
#1Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 5:19pm

Hi! I have comped tickets to see one of the shows on Thursday night through a friend. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should go to? Hadestown doesnt initially seem like my cup of tea but the reviews are good so I’m torn.

Updated On: 5/14/19 at 05:19 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#2Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 5:25pm

You’ll have SO much more fun at Beetlejuice.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 5:46pm

Hadestown was my favorite musical of this season; I only found Beetlejuice to be ordinary.

But, we dont know you at all, so really hard to make suggestions.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Broadway61004
#4Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 5:53pm

If you can, take a few minutes and listen to a couple of songs from Hadestown.  If that makes you say "Oh wow, that sounds beautiful", then go see Hadestown.  If that makes you say "That's interesting, but not my style" then go see Beetlejuice.  Hadestown is a beautifully staged and designed production, but if the score isn't your cup of tea, you'll get bored very quickly with it. (Personally, that was my reaction--from a purely artistic standpoint, Hadestown is a better production, but frankly, I had much more fun at Beetlejuice).

Updated On: 5/14/19 at 05:53 PM

victoriafr
#5Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 5:55pm

There is no competition here. You should see Hadestown, 100%. That's just based on show quality, but also, tickets for Hadestown are already much harder to get and will become even worse after the Tonys.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#6Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 5:57pm

Beetlejuice is just pure fun. Doesn’t require too much thinking and you’ll just have a big smile on your face while you’re watching eye popping scenic design.

Hadestown is incredible art with great music and a story that will have you thinking about the show long after you leave. Hadestown has the better chances of winning lots of awards as it was nominated for 14 Tony’s and might be a more difficult and expensive ticket to purchase later.

I’d say take the comp for Hadestown and pay to see Beetlejuice, if you can swing both.

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#7Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 6:47pm

HADESTOWN is the one to see this season.   

Like others above have said, after the Tonys it will be a harder ticket to get.  

I have seen both and Beetlejuice is fun.

spicemonkey
#8Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 6:57pm

Hadestown,no competition. 

rg7759
#9Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 9:28pm

Surprised no one's brought this up, but you're saying you have free tickets to the show u don't see, say... for me???

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#10Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 9:31pm

nicolep76 said: "Hi! I have comped tickets to see one of the shows on Thursday night through a friend. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should go to? Hadestown doesnt initially seem like my cup of tea but the reviews are good so I’mtorn."

Comped tickets for HADESTOWN...Lucky you! Don't miss it!

https://www.hadestown.com/

Beetlejuice or Hadestown?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/14/19 at 10:29pm

I'd say Beetlejuice. Hadestown will run for much longer, and you can catch at a later date for much cheaper. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

nicolep76
#12Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/15/19 at 9:08am

Thanks guys! I’m gonna take a chance on Hadestown :) just wanted help deciding if going to see a “fun” spectacle show was more worth it than a “darker” musical. I love indie music so I should enjoy it!

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#13Beetlejuice or Hadestown?
Posted: 5/15/19 at 11:05pm

I wasn’t a fan of Hadestown. And even though Beetlejuice got a lot of hate on this board, my friends who have gone have all loved it!