pixeltracker

“Once” 2019-2020 US tour- Page 2

“Once” 2019-2020 US tour

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 10/27/19 at 8:00pm

6 days and counting! Very excited!!! This is the tour stop right before ours...

https://www.journalnow.com/entertainment/arts/uncsa-bringing-once-and-broadway-to-the-stevens-center/article_5abd4f45-312e-5579-b629-1f52338ebdc4.html

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 10/31/19 at 8:11pm

Saturday is the BIG day!!! :) Want to go down first thing in the morning (in 28 degree weather lol) and see if the load-in trucks have arrived from Winston-Salem NC. Also will be at the theater a half-hour before the doors open, want to be the first one in the door. Have also confirmed with the theater that they’ll have the on-stage cash bar selling drinks and a pre-show with the cast and crew up there as well. Hope to take LOTS of pictures. Any questions that you have before the show let me know and I’ll get answers. 

'ONCE' to be Robinson Grand's first traveling Broadway production in Clarksburg, WV

CLARKSBURG — The traveling Broadway musical “ONCE” will grace the stage of the Robinson Grand Performing Arts Center Saturday, making it the first production of its kind in the renovated theater.

“We couldn’t be more honored, to be honest. ... We couldn’t be more excited to bring a performance of this caliber to the community. ... It’s been something we wanted to do since we opened,” said Emily Moore, sales and marketing manager.

“ONCE” has won eight Tony and Grammy awards, including the Tony for Best Musical and the Grammy for Best Musical Theatre Album.

“ONCE” is described as a love story about “finding what inspires you and being open to it.” Sometimes people go through hard knocks in life, but “ONCE” is about finding passion and being brave enough to take hold of it.

Moore said Saturday’s performance will be a dream come true.

“Personally, I love Broadway, and it’s one of my biggest dreams realized that we can have something of this caliber here. ... I’m so excited to see it myself,” she said.

Robinson Grand Executive Director Ryan Tolley said “ONCE” is the first step in the venue’s large-scale theatrical plans, with a goal of expanding upon them in the future.

“There’s a lot of people involved. Once utilizes all the sets from the original production,” Tolley said.

Three 18-wheelers will be transporting all the equipment for the musical, an indication of how big it really is. The talent — which will include 12 to 15 actors, plus over 50 people behind the stage — the scene and set design are all of impeccable caliber, Tolley said.

For more than six months, Robinson Grand officials have been looking for an opportunity to put on a play like this, looking at shows that would be feasible as far as stage size, financially, technically and logistically, as well as shows that would speak to the audience, Tolley said.

“‘ONCE’ being on the road and packaged to theaters this size made it work for us. ... The team is excited to see it,” he said.

Without the help of the Cultural Foundation of Harrison County and the Barbara B. Highland Fund providing a grant for the show, bringing the production would not have been possible, Tolley added.

In addition, he said, the performance has attracted the attention of The New York Times, which is sending a reporter to not only see how the production of “ONCE” plays out at the venue, but also to discuss the building’s restoration and renovation, as well as how it is able to preserve and program the facility.

“(It’s) probably the largest theatrical show to happen in the region,” he said.

Tolley encouraged anyone with an interest in theatrical productions to come to Saturday’s show, because it’s “close to home, and as far as bang for your buck goes, it’s one of the best things to (witness) in the region.”

“Hear great music, a great story and experience a great event at the Robinson Grand,” he said.

“ONCE” will begin 7 p.m. Saturday, with doors opening at 6 p.m. Tickets start at $40 and increase depending on seating. To purchase tickets, visit http://www.therobinsongrand.com or call 855-773-6283.

Updated On: 10/31/19 at 08:11 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 11/3/19 at 12:30am

What an absolutely AMAZING show!!!! I was expecting to like this going in, but to love it as much as I did was totally and completely unexpected.

The cast were superb in every sense of the word, and their performances were top notch and delightful. Jack Gerhard as Guy is simply phenomenal, and Mariah Lotz as Girl equally brilliant. The rest of the cast, all of them acting their hearts out all over the stage with so much energy and passion, it’s impossible to comprehend how they keep this touring pace.

I was first in line at the theater well before the 6pm door opening, and was actually interviewed by the local newspaper! So cool! The Live On-Stage bar commenced as soon as they let guests into the auditorium at 6:30pm. I was also first up on stage, and took a ton of pictures. Within about 8 minutes the stage was packed with guests. I bought a glass white wine and talked with the staff. Then headed for my front row seat.

The pre-show (sooo lively and animated) started about 6:50pm ahead of the 7pm start, and lasted until about 7:10pm, blending seamlessly into the show.

There’s lots of silly humor, lots of F-bombs, and of course, tears. The first chords of Falling Slowly had me limp. And Jack Gerhard and Mariah Lotz sing so wonderfully! During the portion of the show leading up to the song Sleeping, Jack and Mariah walked up to the front of stage-left and sat on the edge, legs dangling over. They were less than five feet from me. And when Jack cried, the tear rolling down his face was from a pain so genuine it was heartbreaking. And the same can be said for Mariah in The Hill...I don’t think I’ve seen that much deep, profound emotion in a song. It was agonizing to see her hurt. But there’s a real connection between these two actors I’ve rarely seen. There’s real emotion, real laughter, real love, and real torment. They were brilliant together. The final harmonies of The Moon (reprise) sent chills down my spine. And Falling Slowly, ending the show, was utterly magnificent.

They of course got a very well deserved standing ovation with shouts and cheers from a grateful audience.

And then they were gone. I had just witnessed this stunning, incredible show, and I’ll never get to see it again. And that in itself is heartbreaking.

As I was waiting for the orchestra section to clear out the entire cast came back out for a photo-op by what I think was one of the heads of the theater. I got this rare opportunity and took a few pics. Such a first-class group of tremendously talented people.

This is a definitive must-see if it’s coming anywhere near you, and I can easily recommend this. Get the best seats you can and sit close. It deserves your undivided attention.

I’ll post some pictures tomorrow.

Updated On: 11/3/19 at 12:30 AM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Posted: 11/3/19 at 12:54am

So glad you had such a great experience. It was one of four shows I saw on my first non-work trip to NYC in 2012. I got a $27 SRO ticket to see the OBC of Once (and another $27 SRO ticket for Book of Mormon). They were my two favorites of the trip. If I’m honest, Once was my most favorite show of my trip although that BOM ticket took a lot more dedication to get as it was a hard show to get a ticket to. I shed a lot of tears during Once. I was only really able to appreciate how truly great BoM is when I finally saw it again on tour last year. If the Once tour makes it to Oklahoma, I need to see it!

FYI - the other two shows I saw on that trip were Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark and Evita.

Updated On: 11/13/19 at 12:54 AM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 11/3/19 at 7:35am

Here’s a link to some of the pictures I took, which include the Robinson Grand marquee, the cast board, stage set and instruments, pre-show, cast, and show program.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/albums/72157711593649933

GF21
Posted: 11/13/19 at 3:35pm

The tour will be coming to Patchogue, NY, just a short walk and a long ride on the LIRR from its former Broadway home at the Jacobs Theater. They're doing three shows over a weekend, two on Saturday March 21 2020, and a matinee on the 22nd. We'll be going on Sunday, then heading up to catch it again in New Haven the following Sunday.

Alex Kulak2
Posted: 11/13/19 at 3:54pm

Miles2Go2 said: "So glad you had such a great experience. It was one of four shows I saw on my first non-work trip to NYC in 2012. I got a $27 SRO ticket to see the OBC of Once (and another $27 SRO ticket for Book of Mormon). They were my two favorites of the trip. If I’m honest, Once was my most favorite show of my trip although that BOM ticket took a lot more deduction to get as it was a hard show to get a ticket to. I shed a lot of tears during the show. I was only to really appreciate how truly great BoM is when I finally saw it again on tour last year. If the Once tour makes it to Oklahoma, I need to see it!

FYI - the other two shows I saw on that trip were Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark and Evita.
"

You got a $27 ticket in New York?! The only place it's playing near me is Milwaukee in March, and the cheapest nosebleed seats are $40 with fees and everything.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 11/13/19 at 8:38pm

^ ^ ^ Alex, I think you misread his post - he bought those tickets in 2012 - not for the current tour, those 2012 tickets were for the Original Broadway Cast at the Jacobs Theater. 

As for the show, and ticket prices, as I’ve said in my review get the best seats, closest to the stage. This is a show that demands to be seen up close. I enjoyed it immensely because it felt so much more immersive than if I was in the cheap seats. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 11/13/19 at 8:40pm

GF21 said: "The tour will be coming to Patchogue, NY, just a short walk and a long ride on the LIRR from its former Broadway home at the Jacobs Theater. They're doing three shows over a weekend, two on Saturday March 212020, and a matinee on the 22nd. We'll be going on Sunday, then heading up to catch it again in New Haven the following Sunday."

You know, I thought long and hard about driving FIVE hours to Toledo to see the show the weekend after it left Clarksburg. I sooooo wanted to see it again. If it had played more than one performance here, I would have bought a ticket for every show. 

I hope you enjoy Once as much as I did. 

:)

Updated On: 11/13/19 at 08:40 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Posted: 11/13/19 at 8:51pm

dmwnc1959 said: "^ ^ ^ Alex, I think you misread his post - he bought those tickets in 2012-not forthe current tour, those 2012 tickets were for the Original Broadway Cast at the Jacobs Theater.

As for the show, and ticket prices, as I’ve said in my review get the best seats, closest to the stage. This is a show that demands to be seen up close. I enjoyed it immensely because it felt so much more immersive than if I was in the cheap seats.
"

Yes, and it was a $27 standing room (SRO) rush ticket. I stood in line for 2 hours for Once to get that ticket and 6 hours in line for BoM. 

GF21
Posted: 12/15/19 at 12:11pm

I guess I won't be seeing Once twice in March. The tour is shutting down after the current stop in Florida. I got an email from the New Haven venue this morning, and the tour web site verifies the bad news. Oh well......

https://oncethemusicaltour.com/tour-dates

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 12/15/19 at 12:43pm

This one actually sort of hurts. Loved this little show, a LOT, and the amazing cast really put forth 110% during the performance I was privileged to attend. Enjoyed the opportunity to go up on stage and take lots of pictures of the set, have a drink from the on-stage bar, and mingle. Don’t think I’ve ever been able to do that at any other show I’ve ever been to. And having front row seats, seeing the raw emotion and tears that close, was an experience I’ll never forget. I hate this couldn’t make it past the first few months. It was a wonderful little show, and quite moving. I’m truly glad I had the opportunity to see this while it lasted.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Posted: 12/15/19 at 1:47pm

That's a shame. was probably going to see it in Red Bank in March. Feel bad for this cast.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
Posted: 12/15/19 at 7:12pm

This is heartbreaking, people seemed so excited to see this. I wonder what happened? ;(

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Posted: 12/15/19 at 8:06pm

What a shame! I was so hoping to finally catching this show and I missed my regional one from earlier this year.

GoblinKing2
Posted: 12/15/19 at 8:39pm

“Route changes and scheduling.”

Well, that explains everything.

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
Posted: 12/15/19 at 8:50pm

crying

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Posted: 12/15/19 at 9:28pm

GoblinKing2 said: "“Route changes and scheduling.”

Well, that explains everything.
"

it is a Prather tour, so they could have screwed up the schedule. I do wonder how this was selling. The date for the Wednesday performance in Red Bank, NJ had a lot of availability last time I checked.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bickle14
Posted: 12/16/19 at 11:07am

That's the show I had been planning to go to. Oh well...

I never got around to seeing it on Broadway. Saw Sing Street a few weeks back and really wanted to make the effort to get to this.

Updated On: 12/16/19 at 11:07 AM

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#45Once Tour Closing
Posted: 12/16/19 at 12:36pm

I wonder if the recent Bus accident in Maine with the A Christmas Carol tour had any bearing on this decision.

A schedule like Once had would need... creativity... when planning the drives between markets, if they were finding themselves needing to rebook or reschedule multiple dates, the financials may not have been there to support all that effort and the risk to Cast and Crew by having the bus driver creatively adjust their driving hours was now more imminent than ever before..

Sympathies to the cast, crew and audiences all impacted by this sad turn of events.