pixeltracker

Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?

Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?

jeffrey2
#1Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 4:48pm

Anyone have any insider info? !!!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 5:13pm

Of course she will. Just like she was on opening night. She’s one of the producers and expect a nice curtain call speech. She’s quite proud of her show and the nice run it had. She will be there to close it.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#3Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 6:07pm

I hope so! I’ll be there. Hoping to see Bob Mackie as well and perhaps some other celebs. Her Las Vegas residency doesn’t start again for a few day, August 21. I’m wondering if the closing date was selected so as not to clash with her LV concert and she could attend the show. 

BrodyFosse123
#4Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 6:43pm

It’s safe to assume Tony Award winner (and legend) Bob Mackie will join Cher at the curtain call as well with a special word to Michael Berresse, who plays him in the show.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 8:45pm

I honestly don’t think she will be there. If she were, I don’t know if she would go on stage and pull focus from the cast. A few cast members posted gifts and cards she gave them for closing, which leads me to believe she’s not coming. If she is there, I wonder if she would just hang backstage.

I also don’t think she really likes the show. I think she loves the cast to the heavens, loves their work and has befriended some. However I think she realized far to late in the process that trying to put her life on stage was not what she expected and she didn’t like it. She’s been rather mum the whole time the show struggled to fill seats. That speaks volumes.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

jeffrey2
#6Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 9:01pm

Some premium seats just became available. I’m going!

BrodyFosse123
#7Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 10:27pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I honestly don’t think she will be there. If she were, I don’t know if she would go on stage and pull focus from the cast. A few cast members posted gifts and cards she gave them for closing, which leads me to believe she’s not coming. If she is there, I wonder if she would just hang backstage.

I also don’t think she really likes the show. I think she loves the cast to the heavens, loves their work and has befriended some. However I think she realized far to late in the process that trying to put her life on stage was not what she expected and she didn’t like it. She’s been rather mum the whole time the show struggled to fill seats. That speaks volumes.
"

Yeah, I guess her full-hour THE CHER SHOW infomercial on April 15, 2019 on the Jimmy Fallon show, where she also performed several times with the cast was her way of keeping mum.  

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/17/19 at 10:57pm

^ This

Literally, what other Broadway show has ever had the ability to take up more than 10 minutes of late-night television, let alone a whole hour?

The only other person who gives decent airtime to Broadway shows in that slot is Seth Meyers

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#9Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 8:19am

I'd like a bit more of the tea behind Cher's involvement in the creation, once it closes and people feel freer to talk. It seems in every interview I've heard, there's another little nugget of how she would be far more involved (and in some unorthodox ways) since it was her life: she requests a rewrite which required restaging on the *day of Opening*(!), during previews she sent in her personal makeup artist to overhaul SJB's wig and makeup design. Fascinated by these.

I think the backstory how these shows are altered by the rights holders, whether the namesakes or the surviving family, is undertold. And on some other shows, I know some of the show's weaknesses were baked in by such constrictions.

BrodyFosse123
#10Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 10:03am

BJR said: "I'd like a bit more of the tea behind Cher's involvement in the creation, once it closes and people feel freer to talk. It seems in every interview I've heard, there's another little nugget of how she would be far more involved (and in some unorthodox ways) since it was her life: she requests a rewrite which required restaging on the *day of Opening*(!), during previews she sent in her personal makeup artist to overhaul SJB's wig and makeup design. Fascinated by these.

I think the backstory how these shows are altered by the rights holders, whether the namesakes or the surviving family, is undertold. And on some other shows, I know some of the show's weaknesses were baked in by such constrictions.”

Cher had every right to impose changes whenever she pleased.  Those last-minute changes were from notes she gave after finally seeing the show in Chicago prior to opening.  She herself has stated in interviews once she was done providing all of the fact material in pre-production, she stepped away and let them do their thing as they were all seasoned Broadway people so they knew their stuff.  Bob Mackie was not only recreating his famous work he’s done with her but also the costumes for the show so she trust him in that department.  Now, when she finally saw the work on stage late in previews in Chicago, she was quite vocal: though she loved a lot of it, there still was work to be done.  The entire production went in full force restructuring with Cher’s involvement though opening night was literally days away.  

MollyJeanneMusic
#11Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 10:23am

quizking101 said: "^ This

Literally, what other Broadway show has ever had the ability to take up more than 10 minutes of late-night television, let alone a whole hour?

The only other person who gives decent airtime to Broadway shows in that slot is Seth Meyers
"

Stephen Colbert has been pretty good with inviting Broadway actors to come and perform/be interviewed.  He's had both leads from Great Comet, half the cast of Hamilton (including Philippa Soo promoting Amelie), Ben Platt (with a performance of For Forever), and a performance from the cast of American Psycho.  He had Santino Fontana on recently, too, to talk about Tootsie.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#12Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 10:40am

Oh I wasn’t implying she didn’t have the right to make the changes! Not was I being shady. In fact, every interview I’ve heard, the person says they would allow some of the unorthodox things (mainly the how and when, like on the day of Opening when a show is long frozen, not the what) precisely because this was Cher and it was her story!

I’m just fascinated by that. More how artists from different industries and mediums interact with the very specific way theatre operates.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#13Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 10:46am

MollyJeanneMusic said: "quizking101 said: "^ This

"

Stephen Colbert has been pretty good with inviting Broadway actors to come and perform/be interviewed. He's had both leads from Great Comet, half the cast of Hamilton (including Philippa Soo promoting Amelie), Ben Platt (with a performance of For Forever), and a performance from the cast of American Psycho. He had Santino Fontana on recently, too, to talk about Tootsie.
"

This is true. How I could be remiss about that?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 12:55pm

I too will be curious if more is said later down the road. Cher was very vocal and I wonder if she had a say in pulling the plug. I also wonder if the show will be revised again before touring.

Personally, I think she took a dump on the better Chicago version. She wanted more theme park elements. She’s a child of Vegas and Variety shows. I saw it in Chicago the day some of her changes were starting to be implemented. (There were differences between the matinee and evening show.) An ensemble member when signing at the stage door was talking about how exhausted he was. “You heard Cher was just here, right? She wants it more “Mamma Mia.” He then rolled his eyes.

The Broadway version was a hot mess save for SJB’s masterful performance, the costumes and choreography. I felt bad that anytime SJB performed outside of the context of the actual show, her performance seemed flat and cheap considering there are more masterful Cher impersonators. She wasn’t impersonating, she was acting. I don’t think it read well on daytime TV.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#15Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 1:35pm

I’ve wondered the same things from what I’ve heard.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#16Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 1:42pm

Sad to see this show go (and wish nothing but the best for the cast).   I adored this so much in Chicago and was so disappointed when I saw what it had become by the time it hit Broadway.   I wish there was a recording of SJB's slow version of Believe (and admittedly, Michaela and Jarod's  "After All"Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

massofmen
#17Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 1:44pm

Anyone find it interesting that the tony award performance from CHER isn't up on youtube anymore or the link to it isn't available on broadwayworld? every other performance from the tony's is up. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-The-Cast-Of-THE-CHER-SHOW-Performs-Believe-at-the-TONY-AWARDS-20190610

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 3:39pm

massofmen said: "Anyone find it interesting that the tony award performance from CHER isn't up on youtube anymore or the link to it isn't available on broadwayworld? every other performance from the tony's is up.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-The-Cast-Of-THE-CHER-SHOW-Performs-Believe-at-the-TONY-AWARDS-20190610

Because it was awful and was a death knell for an already struggling show. It was so flat and SJB's energy was low. Her performance had a hard time translating outside of the theatre. 

rg7759
#19Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 3:43pm

no, but what is disappointing is many recent tony broadcasts are not officially on youtube. for instance, many acceptance speeches from this year are already taken down, and i would love to see ariel stachels speech again from last year, but it doesnt exist on the internet.

BrodyFosse123
#20Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 3:52pm

rg7759 said: "no, but what is disappointing is many recent tony broadcasts are not officially on youtube. for instance, many acceptance speeches from this year are already taken down, and i would love to see ariel stachels speech again from last year, but it doesnt exist on the internet."

Geez Louise!  The constant bitching and whining is exhaustive.  

Here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-tony-awards-2018/id1389927689

Updated On: 8/18/19 at 03:52 PM

rg7759
#21Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 4:04pm

do not call that bitching. do not send me somewhere i can purchase the tony awards. everyone has been paid who worked on the broadcast. do you work for apple?

BrodyFosse123
#22Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 4:13pm

rg7759 said: "do not call that bitching. do not send me somewhere i can purchase the tony awards. everyone has been paid who worked on the broadcast. do you work for apple?"

Don’t say they don’t exist on the internet.  You not wanting to pay, well that’s your dilema, bro.

carnzee
#23Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 4:18pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "rg7759 said: "no, but what is disappointing is many recent tony broadcasts are not officially on youtube. for instance, many acceptance speeches from this year are already taken down, and i would love to see ariel stachels speech again from last year, but it doesnt exist on the internet."

Geez Louise! The constant bitching and whining is exhaustive.

And yet,  you do more if it than anybody. 

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#24Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 4:37pm

Anyways... Bob Mackie is here.

bk
#25Anyone think Cher will be at the last Cher Show on Sunday?
Posted: 8/18/19 at 6:24pm

"and the nice run it had"

Is that some kind of code for having lost a ton of money?  296 performances is not a nice run, not for a big, lavish Broadway musical, jukebox or otherwise.