pixeltracker

Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along- Page 6

Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#125Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/5/22 at 3:36pm

Progress report from Platt and Blake Jenner is still attached. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#126Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/5/22 at 3:50pm

The Grammys.com article from which it is sourced has no mention of Jenner. The BroadwayWorld article mentions Jenner, but there hasn't been any indication that he is or isn't involved anymore.

https://www.grammy.com/news/vicente-fernandez-a-mis-80s-wins-best-regional-mexican-music-album-including-tejano-2022-grammys

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#127Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/5/22 at 4:13pm

Fair, but still. If they had replaced him. I feel like they would have announced that by now.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#128Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/5/22 at 6:34pm

Got to say, I get what he’s doing, but I hate the long wait for this filming. With Boyhood, the entire project was designed around that. This is a known property that has functioned perfectly fine without this gimmick, you can easily just put the actors in makeup and as long as the talent’s strong, it’ll be just as good as it would be with them aging real time.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#131Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/6/22 at 8:43am

^

Me, too.

Odd thought, however...

By the time this movie actually comes out, there will be a different generation of audience who will not have had to wait. I imagine that their thoughts re: the wait will be completely different. Anything that's written *now* has the possibility of being completely irrelevant in the future.

As for me, personally, my thoughts in this moment will most definitely be irrelevant (at the very least, unable to be changed) as when this movie is completed and released, I will most certainly be dead.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#132Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/6/22 at 9:42am

Because this is such a lengthy process, I couldn't care less about it until it have a release date, and we are a year within that date. I don't need a press release or article written when they have completed a scene. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#133Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/6/22 at 2:43pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Because this is such a lengthy process, I couldn't care less about it until it have a release date, and we are a year within that date. I don't need a press release or article written when they have completed a scene."

Then maybe don't read the press releases/articles? I could not be more jazzed about this movie, am thrilled at the occasional updates and don't know what the naysayers can possibly be thinking. Of course this show -- which is literally about the aging/maturation of its characters -- will benefit from Linklater's treatment, just as "Boyhood" did. Weighing a 45-year-old Platt against the 30-year-old version will, without a word of dialogue, say so much more than painting on some crows' feet would about the dreams and disillusionment of "Merrily We Roll Along." If this works, it will be cinematic magic. Except it will be real.

jimmycurry01
#134Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/7/22 at 12:02pm

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "Got to say, I get what he’s doing, but I hate the long wait for this filming. With Boyhood, the entire project was designed around that. This is a known property that has functioned perfectly fine without this gimmick, you can easily just put the actors in makeup and as long as the talent’s strong, it’ll be just as good as it would be with them aging real time."

When you say that this is a "known property that has functioned perfectly fine without this gimmick," would you mind discussing in what way this show has ever functioned perfectly fine? It seems this particular property has a rather turbulent past. It was initially a huge flop for Prince and Sondheim. As a result, this show is rarely performed the same way twice. It has been rewritten with each major production, and yet it has never seemed to function "perfectly fine." Not with the original cast of very young performers, not with a cast of middle aged performers, and not with any of the rewrites.

It's a hard show for audiences and critics. Perhaps actually seeing the cast change as they age in reverse will work better than anything tried thus far, and perhaps it won't, but to say that this is a property that already functions perfectly fine seems to ignore the entire production history of this property.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#135Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/7/22 at 12:04pm

jimmycurry01 said: "ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "Got to say, I get what he’s doing, but I hate the long wait for this filming. With Boyhood, the entire project was designed around that. This is a known property that has functioned perfectly fine without this gimmick, you can easily just put the actors in makeup and as long as the talent’s strong, it’ll be just as good as it would be with them aging real time."

When you say that this is a "known property that has functioned perfectly fine without this gimmick," would you mind discussing in what way this show has ever functioned perfectly fine? It seems this particular property has a rather turbulent past. It was initially a huge flop for Prince and Sondheim. As a result, this show is rarely performed the same way twice. It has been rewritten with each major production, and yet it has never seemed to function "perfectly fine." Not with the original cast of very young performers, not with a cast of middle aged performers, and not with any of the rewrites.

It's a hard show for audiences and critics. Perhaps actually seeing the cast change as they age in reverse will work better than anything tried thus far, and perhaps it won't, but to say that this is a property that already functions perfectly fine seems to ignore the entire production history of this property.

"

Or maybe it's a needless complication to an already tricky project that will only wind up a bigger fiasco that previous incarnations. 

Personally, it seems like a needless gimmick to me. 

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#136Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/7/22 at 12:40pm

jimmycurry01 said: "ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "Got to say, I get what he’s doing, but I hate the long wait for this filming. With Boyhood, the entire project was designed around that. This is a known property that has functioned perfectly fine without this gimmick, you can easily just put the actors in makeup and as long as the talent’s strong, it’ll be just as good as it would be with them aging real time."

"

This is completely ignoring that the show has had several critically acclaimed, award winning productions since its infamous first one. It’s also ignoring that since the 1994 Off Broadway run the show has retained the structure of that production, it’s not like Chess where they’re still altering the plot and songs.

Updated On: 4/7/22 at 12:40 PM

pmensky
#137Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/7/22 at 12:47pm

Some of these posts are cringeworthy. Richard Linklater is a brilliant director known for telling coming of age stories, most notably the Oscar-nominated, “Boyhood” which also won the Golden Globe and British Academy awards for best picture. He filmed “Boyhood” over a period of 11 years to capture the leading character’s real time experience of growing up. Calling this director’s method of filmmaking a gimmick or stupid is reductive and narrow-minded. 

jimmycurry01
#138Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/7/22 at 1:01pm

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "jimmycurry01 said: "ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure said: "Got to say, I get what he’s doing, but I hate the long wait for this filming. With Boyhood, the entire project was designed around that. This is a known property that has functioned perfectly fine without this gimmick, you can easily just put the actors in makeup and as long as the talent’s strong, it’ll be just as good as it would be with them aging real time."

"

This is completely ignoring that the show has had several critically acclaimed, award winning productions since its infamous first one.
"

Well, that's still not 100% true, though, is it. The Leicester production was seen as an improvement, but was still seen as faulty. Much has been discussed about that through the years. Maria Friedman's production is the best so far, yet the reviews still ran rather mixed. Brantley didn't care much for the City Center production, highlighting it's flaws in his review. Critics were also not particularly kind d to Fiasco Theatre's off-Broadway production. The property may have picked up some awards, but that does not stop it from being a historically troubled property that is rarely done the same way twice, which illustrates that it does not have a history of functioning perfectly fine. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#139Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/7/22 at 1:17pm

Some of you need to watch The Before Trilogy or Boyhood before calling this a gimmick. Film is different than theatre. I don’t want to see people in “older age” prosthetics singing show tunes. THAT sounds like a gimmick to me. This will be fascinating and thrilling when it finally comes together, unfortunately we just have to get through twenty years of whining first.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#140Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 4/7/22 at 3:16pm

I'll probably be dead and never see it, but I think the idea is inspired. As for those who have stated that they would rather see it filmed all at once with the actors wearing make-up to have them appear older, I suspect you were some of the same people who were opposed to the casting of Ben Platt in the DEH movie because he was older than the character and was wearing make-up to have him appear younger. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.