London - Christmas

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#25London - Christmas
Posted: 12/18/19 at 5:01am

Boyfriend (is wonderful!) over Noises Off (how to do farce, badly)every time. 

Impossible2
#26London - Christmas
Posted: 12/18/19 at 6:58am

VernonGersch said: "getting a lot in and made some additions:

Fairview

Cyrano

Teenage Dick

Six

Tina

Ocean At The End Of The Lane - those reviews had me stop what I was ding to luckily have scored a ticket

& Julliet

and now - debating between The Boyfriend OR Noises Off! (which I have never seen)

"

I saw Ocean last night (I also 'fell' for the raves) and have never been so bored in my life. There are probably 3 or 4 moments (and they are BRIEF moments) that were good, the rest of it was a crushing bore. I didn't see anything I haven't seen a million times before and done much much better.

I think there was a metaphor for something in there somewhere, but even if it was the one I thought it was, it was so lost in a flurry of trying (and failing) to be visually compelling it was completely lost. I'm sure if you've read the book you'd find more to enjoy, but going in blind I found little to nothing to enjoy. 

I'd temper expectations if I were you...

Updated On: 12/18/19 at 06:58 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27London - Christmas
Posted: 12/18/19 at 8:04am

I saw “Noises Off” two weeks ago and enjoyed it but I do wish I could have seen “The Boyfriend” instead.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#28London - Christmas
Posted: 12/18/19 at 9:54am

super helpful folks - The Boyfriend it is.  Those reviews for The Ocean are so glowing but to hear that you were unimpressed and bored have me scratching my head on what to do...

Impossible2
#29London - Christmas
Posted: 12/18/19 at 10:38am

VernonGersch said: "super helpful folks - The Boyfriend it is. Those reviews for The Ocean are so glowing but to hear that you were unimpressed and bored have me scratching my head on what to do..."

Reviews on theatre board are split...

Saw it a couple of weeks ago and found it enjoyable and watchable, but nothing more. It doesn't do anything we haven't seen done before and better. Everyone but me (and the lady at my right, who slept soundly through the first act and didn't show up for the second) seemed to love it tho, so I'm clearly in the minority here.

I've read this but only once and have vague ideas of what happened rather than knowing it well so I don't know what might have been missed or amended. I think you're probably best going in knowing as little as possible as to what to expect so I won't say much. In parts it made me think of various other productions, curious incident, war horse, cursed child. Didn't really get drawn into second half of first half. Interval comes on a strong end to first half and the second flies. Visually, movement, light, sound it's really clever. Not really an experience like anything else for me. Would recommend.

I saw this Friday night and agree the artwork is stunning but the play isn’t.
Also agree with pegs it did get me thinking of curious incident.
My overwhelming thought is that the director concentrated too much on making every part a spectacular moment, but rather forgot to tell the actual story. So there is the bare bones a show that is poorly directed.
1 Star

This is honestly one of the most amazing beautiful productions I’ve ever seen at The National. The theatricality and the puppetry blew me away. The story is moving and funny and gripping. This is going to be the next big hit for the National. It’s Curious Incident but even better. Get one of the few remaining tickets NOW!

Frankly the last review sounds like it HAD to be written by someone in the production. Either that or they have never entered a theatre before...

BWAY Baby2
#30London - Christmas
Posted: 12/18/19 at 10:51am

London in March- I have tickets to Leopoldstatz- new drama about Vienna during the lead up to WW2 in the Jewish areas- Tom Stoppard is the playwright- that is one play I am really looking forward to seeing. 

London - Christmas

London - Christmas

Updated On: 12/18/19 at 10:51 AM

VernonGersch
Posted: 12/22/19 at 3:09pm

Updated On: 12/22/19 at 03:09 PM

SoCalDirector
#32London shows
Posted: 12/24/19 at 7:38pm

I went to London for the first time in a long time a few weeks ago.
I saw 8 shows.
The Comedy About The Bank Robbery
Mary Poppins
Ian McKellen
Everybody’s talking about Jamie
Soho Cinders
Six
The Boyfriend
Translations At the National

I liked seven of them fine. I thought Soho Cinders had one of the worst books of a musical I’ve ever seen. It was all about the bad guys and then no pay off. I’d like to them get theirs.

One of my favorite moments had to do with Ian McKellen.
I was in the second row. At the intermission three women sitting next to me were standing in the aisle talking and having drinks. I look to the left of me and standing right there was Sir Ian. He looked at the women and said “if you’d like to sit down I’ll do part two”. I guess he is hands-on.

I only went to see Mary Poppins because I love Charlie Stemp. I rarely stage door but wandered around and found it with only a few people standing there. Charlie came out with his scooter (he posted recently that his bike was stolen the first day he had it). He walked right up to me (which surprised me, pleasantly.)

He was wonderfully nice and appreciative. I assumed that the car that was waiting was for Petula Clark.

Layton Williams played Jamie. I saw him in London 12 years ago as Billy Elliot.

Also at the exact time of the terrorist attack at the London Bridge I was one tube stop away.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Miles Robert Mills

Jordan Catalano
#33London shows
Posted: 12/25/19 at 10:42am

Did you see Petula Clark come out the stage door?

SisterGeorge
#34London shows
Posted: 12/25/19 at 11:08am

I wish I hadn't read this. I was so disappointed when I saw the original production of Mary Poppins in London, but adored Charlie Stemp in Dolly, so was already torn about seeing it again. But now to find out Petula Clark is also in it?! Plus there's a Sunday matinee. I think MP just moved into the "plus"  column. 

Sister George

SpookyFish13
#35London shows
Posted: 12/25/19 at 1:06pm

Personally, the very first show on my list would be The Life of Pi. I loved War Horse, and I know the puppets for Life of Pi were designed by the same artist, so that alone would get me to buy a ticket. I haven’t read any reviews, or heard much buzz about it, but nonetheless it looks intriguing!

Jordan Catalano
#36London shows
Posted: 12/25/19 at 2:55pm

SisterGeorge said: "I wish I hadn't read this. I was so disappointed when I saw the original production of Mary Poppins in London, but adored Charlie Stemp in Dolly, so was already torn about seeing it again. But now to find out Petula Clark is also in it?! Plusthere's a Sunday matinee. I think MP just moved into the "plus" column."

I hated every second of “Mary Poppins” on broadway. I thought it was one of the most boring things I’d ever witnessed. However this revival is perfection. I was completely enthralled the entire time and Stemp is perfection. 

Impossible2
#37London shows
Posted: 12/25/19 at 4:50pm

SpookyFish13 said: "Personally, the very first show on my list would be The Life of Pi. I loved War Horse, and I know the puppets for Life of Pi were designed by the same artist, so that alone would get me to buy a ticket. I haven’t read any reviews, or heard much buzz about it, but nonetheless it looks intriguing!"

It's not on while he is here x

SoCalDirector
#38London shows
Posted: 12/26/19 at 12:02am

No. After talking to Charlie I turned around and fell over the curb and some man caught me. I left after that faux pas. I would’ve loved to of seen Petula Clark for sure.

Miles Robert Mills

VernonGersch
#39London shows
Posted: 1/12/20 at 12:50am

Just got back from London and saw some truly innovative brilliant productions.  CYRANO is a must see.  NYT just gave it a rave review a few days ago.  Rap, spoken word, direct to audience led by an emotional tour de force that is James McAvoy. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/theater/cyrano-london-review.html

I also highly recommend 

Fairview

& Juliet - truly fun

Teenage Dick 

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane - National Theatre

Six 

Duchess Of Malfi - sleek modern visually arresting production with a star making turn from Lydia Wilson.  Time Out gave this 5 stars https://www.timeout.com/london/theatre/the-duchess-of-malfi-review

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/theater/cyrano-london-review.html

Updated On: 1/12/20 at 12:50 AM

Jordan Catalano
#40London shows
Posted: 1/12/20 at 10:53am

I’m glad you had a great trip!!!