Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/8/20 at 9:34am

Did anyone else watch last night? I wasn't overwhelmed by the premiere episode, but thought that the concept was clever and that it could lend itself to getting more interesting as the season goes on. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/8/20 at 9:58am

I forgot it started.  My fear is that it would get mundane after a few episodes.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#3Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:06pm

I thought it accomplished the amazing feat of being simultaneously predictable and improbable, but I must admit the hour put a smile on my face. (But they should call it FLASH MOB, in my opinion.)

Mandy Moore (I assume the choreographer, not the actress) is credited as "Executive Producer"; still this concept is basically GLEE without the school and ELI STONE without the law firm. I know GLEE was a big deal for a season or two, but neither show was long-lived.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:44pm

Glee lasted six season. That is a decent run.

Just give the world Love.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:52pm

Mandy Moore (I assume the choreographer, not the actress) is credited as "Executive Producer"

Yes, that is Emmy Award winning choreographer Mandy Moore as Executive Producer.  She is also the serie’s choreographer.  

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#6Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 9:40am

I'll be sure to check it out. It seems like a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend wanna-be. I caught a moment of Peter Gallagher singing in what I think was supposed to be a heartbreaking moment. However, his singing was so bad it pulled me out of it. I just kept thinking how bad he sounded. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#7Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 12:01pm

Bettyboy, I wonder why? I saw him in On the 20th Century and thought his singing was pretty good there.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Joviedamian
#8Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 12:22pm

Love Peter's singing voice...though it has been some time, he's voice is beautiful here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4-7iHtuZ-o

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 1:35pm

I watched the whole episode. I take back my comment about Gallagher. He sounds lovely. I was only half listening when I passed the TV before. 

Overall, it's cute. The talent is great. That being said it feels really calculated and that takes some of the joy out of it for me. I can hear the pitch meeting, "It's like Glee meets La La Land and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. We cast an Emma Stone type, but younger, fresher." 

It feels very contrived at times. Also, I'm not a huge fan of current writing (ie This Is Us) that doesn't earn emotion from viewers but wrings it out of them. When you delve into suicide, depression, and mute, chronically ill parents who were formerly incredible in your first episode it's clearly going for the emotional jugular. Like This Is Us, they try to set a bar of running a gamut of emotions every episode. That type of writing exhausts me and feels really inorganic. 

I'll give it a chance, but whereas Crazy Ex-Girlfriend felt unhinged, odd and off-kilter in the great way Rachel is, this feels put together by a committee looking for a hit. 

Also, again with these apartments. What do Jane Levy and Alex Newell do as 20 somethings that give them these lavish places to live in San Francisco? Always a sitcom gripe. :) Can't people's apartment looks like the girls on Broad City. That's realistic. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#10Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 1:44pm

God I hope that's not what their pitch was. A "younger Emma Stone type?" Good grief, Emma is FAR FROM OLD! What is happening to ageism in Hollywood?!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

InTheBathroom1
#11Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 1:47pm

Jane Levy’s character is a coder which they’d say many times on the episode. Coders are making bank

MBFan
#12Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 4:49pm

It was fun to see Lauren Graham back on TV. I loved Gilmore Girls and saw her in Guys and Dolls.

ccbway
#13Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
Posted: 1/9/20 at 5:01pm

Personally, I agree about the singing being subpar.  For a show centered around musical numbers, I found most of them to be pretty disappointing, maybe Skylar Astin was the only one with a passable performance.  I thought Peter Gallagher's singing was...not great.  There is potential for this to be an entertaining show - but I hope they do something to improve the musical numbers.  It almost sounded to me like they were opting for "realism" when it comes to the singing - but these are essentially dream sequences in the girls head, so it seems to me like they should be opting for highly produced, extravagant, track recorded musical numbers more like La La Land, instead of trying to make it seem like the actor just decided to sing instead of speak their lines.

Updated On: 1/9/20 at 05:01 PM