pixeltracker

Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021

Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#2Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:08pm

I initially read it as THIS Oct. But still... sooner than I expected. Guessing Disney it also thinking it'll make for some compelling Disney+ content after the theatrical release. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:10pm

I can’t even imagine how much this sold for. I assume Netflix put up quite the fight for it. Excited to see how the captured it!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#4Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:11pm

Before BroadwayWorld corrects this I thought it was amusing the date of release.

Lin-Manuel Miranda announced on Twitter today that Disney will present the HAMILTON movie featuring the original Broadway cast (filmed live on stage) October 15, 20201.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lin-Manuel-Miranda-Announces-Screening-Date-For-HAMILTON-Movie-Featuring-Original-Broadway-Cast-20200203

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 2/3/20 at 12:11 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#5Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:13pm

I am just curious how this will play out in Disney's other 2021 releases, especially if their live-action LITTLE MERMAID, also with LMM working on it and possibly Daveed Diggs as Sebastian, is to be released that year.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:25pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "I can’t even imagine how much this sold for. I assume Netflix put up quite the fight for it. Excited to see how the captured it!"

WSJ estimated north of $50 mil. Maybe more if studios were bidding. Obviously Disney wanted to keep Lin in their stable, and perhaps the creative team wanted a guarantee of a wide theatrical release instead of just streaming. Springsteen sold to Netflix for $20mil, and that was just one guy at a guitar.

I do wonder how it will impact sales on Broadway and especially on tour going forward.

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#7Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:29pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "I am just curious how this will play out in Disney's other 2021 releases, especially if their live-action LITTLE MERMAID, also with LMM working on it and possibly Daveed Diggs as Sebastian, is to be released that year."

The other live action remakes were released in spring and summertime, so Mermaid will probably follow suit. “Aladdin” and “The Lion King” were both Disney musicals released only months apart last year and they both managed to earn 1B at the box office. So “Mermaid” and “Hamilton” should coexist just fine. Usually the autumn calendar is reserved for their Disney (not Pixar) animated films— but I don’t think they’ve even announced what comes after this year’s “Raya and the Last Dragon.” 

Andres_Zayas Profile Photo
Andres_Zayas
#8Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:30pm

Huss417 said: "Before BroadwayWorld corrects this I thought it was amusing the date of release.

Lin-Manuel Miranda announced on Twitter today that Disney will present the HAMILTON movie featuring the original Broadway cast (filmed live on stage) October 15, 20201.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lin-Manuel-Miranda-Announces-Screening-Date-For-HAMILTON-Movie-Featuring-Original-Broadway-Cast-20200203

"

Maybe they accidentally put the Wicked movie’s release date?

jacobsnchz14
#9Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:31pm

Was the Wicked film scheduled for October or December? Hope it's December at this point... for Universal's sake. haha.

Future release on DVD & Blu-Ray is also included in the deal signed with The Walt Disney Company.

The world-wide theatrical rights for “Hamilton” sold to Disney for more than $50 million, two of the people with knowledge of the deal talks said. 

The original Broadway cast appearing in the film include Tony Award® winners Lin-Manuel Miranda as Alexander Hamilton; Daveed Diggs as Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson; Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler; Leslie Odom, Jr. as Aaron Burr; Tony Award® nominees Christopher Jackson as George Washington; Jonathan Groff as King George; Phillipa Soo as Eliza Hamilton; and Jasmine Cephas Jones as Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds; Okieriete Onaodowan as Hercules Mulligan/James Madison; and Anthony Ramos as John Laurens/Philip Hamilton. The cast also includes Carleigh Bettiol, Ariana DeBose, Hope Easterbrook, Sydney James Harcourt, Sasha Hutchings, Thayne Jasperson, Elizabeth Judd, Jon Rua, Austin Smith, Seth Stewart, and Ephraim Sykes.

http://filmedonstage.com/news/67-disney-to-release-hamilton-film-with-original-broadway-cast-in-2021?fbclid=IwAR16oi77R69AhCIg0k_ae4eYdngYvWYmJd9GtefG6ab_cMId36rxr7UNAT0

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:33pm

I took it as being shown on just that date. It says present and not release. Just my thoughts.

Just give the world Love.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#11Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:36pm

This is awesome but will admit I thought it would be later (perhaps in 2025 for the 10th anniversary of the opening date on Broadway.)  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#12Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:36pm

This is awesome but will admit I thought it would be later (perhaps in 2025 for the 10th anniversary of the opening date on Broadway.)  

Andres_Zayas Profile Photo
Andres_Zayas
#13Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:37pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Was the Wicked film scheduled for October or December? Hope it's December at this point... for Universal's sake. haha.

Future release on DVD & Blu-Ray is also included in the deal signed with The Walt Disney Company.

The world-wide theatrical rights for “Hamilton” sold to Disney for more than $50 million, two of the people with knowledge of the deal talks said.

The original Broadway cast appearing in the film include Tony Award® winners Lin-Manuel Miranda as Alexander Hamilton; Daveed Diggs as Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson; Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler; Leslie Odom, Jr. as Aaron Burr; Tony Award® nominees Christopher Jackson as George Washington; Jonathan Groff as King George; Phillipa Soo as Eliza Hamilton; and Jasmine Cephas Jones as Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds; Okieriete Onaodowan as Hercules Mulligan/James Madison; and Anthony Ramos as John Laurens/Philip Hamilton. The cast also includes Carleigh Bettiol, Ariana DeBose, Hope Easterbrook, Sydney James Harcourt, Sasha Hutchings, Thayne Jasperson, Elizabeth Judd, Jon Rua, Austin Smith, Seth Stewart, and Ephraim Sykes.

http://filmedonstage.com/news/67-disney-to-release-hamilton-film-with-original-broadway-cast-in-2021?fbclid=IwAR16oi77R69AhCIg0k_ae4eYdngYvWYmJd9GtefG6ab_cMId36rxr7UNAT0
"

The release date is December 2021, but I joked that after all it’s delays it would probably not be released until the year 20,201

jacobsnchz14
#14Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:37pm

Wick3 said: "This is awesome but will admit I thought it would be later (perhaps in 2025 for the 10th anniversary of the opening date on Broadway.)"

Don't age us like that. hahaha!

copathetiic
#15Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:41pm

Interesting that it was filmed after some of the original ensemble members left.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:42pm

I think the value of a big theatrical distribution would be significantly less 10 years after opening on Bway. This isn't the Les Mis concert filmed for PBS. Plus, the actors would look older which could be jarring.

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#17Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:42pm

uncageg said: "I took it as being shown on just that date. It says present and not release. Just my thoughts."

Disney would be crazy to go with the Fathom Events model on this.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#18Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:43pm

This says the deal includes DVD&Blu-Ray distribution!

http://filmedonstage.com/news/68-hamilton-film-with-original-broadway-cast-sets-release-date-for-october-2021

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

jacobsnchz14
#19Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:47pm

copathetiic said: "Interesting that it was filmed after some of the original ensemble members left."

The first one that came to mind who was not listed to be in the film was Betsy Struxness. Was she doing Shakespeare In Love at the time? I only know because I'm looking at her website.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#20Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:49pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "copathetiic said: "Interesting that it was filmed after some of the original ensemble members left."

The first one that came to mind who was not listed to be in the film was Betsy Struxness. Was she doing Shakespeare In Love at the time? I only know because I'm looking at her website.
"

If I recall, Jonathan Geoff was almost not in it. He came back for just a weekend specifically for the filming.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

copathetiic
#21Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:49pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "copathetiic said: "Interesting that it was filmed after some of the original ensemble members left."

"

Not sure but it’s only her and Emmy Raver-Lampman who are not in this. 

orph3us Profile Photo
orph3us
#22Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:58pm

I'm not saying this announcement made me cry but I'm not not saying that

schubox
#23Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 12:58pm

Hope we get some alternative angles on home release, I would love to have a static shot of the whole stage

rattleNwoolypenguin
#24Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 1:01pm

I think this is beautifully generous.

Hamilton is not even in the top longest running shows yet even though it will be, and they are taking a risk of pulling ticket buyers away to distribute it as a movie.

The biggest shows that hit Broadway never do this unless they NEED a publicity lift after 10 years at least.

Lin Manuel clearly just wants to give this to people and I just think that’s awesome

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#25Disney to distribute and release HAMILTON film with OBC in Oct. 2021
Posted: 2/3/20 at 1:16pm

I am just amazed that this will be a traditional wide release and not a Fathom Event premium ticket. This will truly be a new test for the filmed stage production business model. If this even comes close to grossing more than $30 million in sales, I see the model becoming significantly more common. Yes, Disney paid $50 Million for the rights, which I will find it difficult for them to recoup from a theatrical run. To do this Hamilton's theatrical run will have to gross a minimum of $100 Million domestic or $150 Million in international grosses just to break even, and that's before a likely additional $20 Million+ marketing campaign. I think the key thing in the agreement is that Disney will also be collecting the revenue from all ancillary markets. It is kind of crazy to think that Disney paid about same amount for the rights to distribute Hamiltion's filmed performance, as most film studio's spend on a modern movie musical.