pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opened Feb 20 2020- Page 2

WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opened Feb 20 2020

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#25WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:22pm

Variety is meh
https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2020/legit/reviews/west-side-story-review-broadway-ivo-van-hove-1203507979/amp/

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#26WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:22pm

Luminaire2 said: "Brantley is up:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/theater/west-side-story-review-sharks-vs-jets-vs-video.html?smid=tw-nyttheater&smtyp=cur

is this what one calls a pan? Not a critic pick, mostly does not like the video or the choreography from what I gather. Barely discusses the performances.
"

Wow. Real persona talking: I’m shocked. Brantley usually has good things to say about Ivo van Hove productions like Crucible and Network.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#27WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:25pm

The Stage - Mixed to Positive
https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2020/west-side-story-ivo-van-hove-review-at-broadway-theatre-new-york/

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#30WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:31pm

So the reviews are as polarized as everyone else.

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#31WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:31pm

ljay889 said: "Luminaire2 said: "Brantley is up:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/theater/west-side-story-review-sharks-vs-jets-vs-video.html?smid=tw-nyttheater&smtyp=cur

is this what one calls a pan? Not a critic pick, mostly does not like the video or the choreography from what I gather. Barely discusses the performances.
"

Not as cruel as he’s been in the past, but it’s certainly an “ouch.” Not what the production would be hoping for. He did like a few elements.
"

Yesenia Ayala is probably okay with the review. It’s one of the only times I’ve heard anyone talk about her performance, and I think it’s the first time it was complimentary. It’s crazy how little Anita’s actress is being discussed. She’s usually a huge favorite.

Anyway, looks like this production’s reviews are gonna be mixed, as I thought they’d be. Given audiences’ divided reaction and all the controversy surrounding the show, they really could’ve used positive reviews. Still, it’s West Side Story, so they’ll probably recoup.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:37pm

I think there’s enough positive reviews to satisfy the producers, but there certainly isn’t across the board raves, and the negative Brantley review has got to disappoint all involved.

Based on these overall reviews, I think Company and Caroline could likely fare better come Tony time, but we will see.

Updated On: 2/20/20 at 08:37 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
FranklinDickson2018
#34WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:40pm

Hey Rolling Stone folks.  No mention of the music?  The singing?  Individual performances?   Did I miss something here?  Yikes!  I don't call that a review.  I don't know what to call it. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#35WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:44pm

^ Right? That is the weirdest review ever. 

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#36WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:44pm

ljay889 said: "I think there’s enough positive reviews to satisfy the producers, but there certainly isn’t across the board raves, and the negative Brantley review has got to disappoint all involved.

Based on these overall reviews, I think Company and Caroline will likely fare better come Tony time, but we will see.
"

I always figured those two will do better at the Tonys. This revival of West Side Story has been divisive since the beginning, meanwhile those are imports of well received London productions. My guess is Company takes revival, but Caroline or Change will win actress. I think Company’s gonna be helped by the fact that it’s a timely reimagining if the show, especially since it’s reimagining will competitively look better than West Side Story’s.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:47pm

Hot Pants said: "ljay889 said: "I think there’s enough positive reviews to satisfy the producers, but there certainly isn’t across the board raves, and the negative Brantley review has got to disappoint all involved.

Based on these overall reviews, I think Company and Caroline will likely fare better come Tony time, but we will see.
"

I always figured those two will do better at the Tonys. This revival of West Side Story has been divisive since the beginning, meanwhile those are imports of well received London productions. My guess is Company takes revival, but Caroline or Change will win actress. I think Company’s gonna be helped by the fact that it’s a timely reimagining if the show, especially since it’s reimagining will competitively look better than West Side Story’s.
"

I completely agree with this. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#38WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 8:54pm

FranklinDickson2018 said: "Hey Rolling Stone folks. No mention of the music? The singing? Individual performances? Did I miss something here? Yikes! I don't call that a review. I don't know what to call it."

I feel like a theme that is emerging in the reviews (even the positive ones) is that the experience trumps the performances. This is what I feared-the actors getting lost in the sauce. It begs the question is it still theatre if the performances are creating a tableau rather than creating a character.  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Trish2
#39WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:02pm

Ya gotta love the sting of Brantley;

"Here, Tony, the peace-loving former Jet is played by Isaac Powell, while Maria, the innocent young Shark girl he falls for, is portrayed by Shereen Pimentel. Both performers sing pleasantly."

"As such, those fatally rivalrous street gangs, the Jets and the Sharks, have probably never loomed larger. Yet these disembodied Goliaths wind up upstaging their flesh-and-blood selves."

"And as the camera caresses each photogenic face, the men’s tattoos start to look less like don’t-mess-with-me emblems of tribal membership and more like fashion choices. We might have stumbled into a casting call for a Calvin Klein fragrance ad."

"Yet in this version, both gangs appear to be multiracial melting pots. Could this be van Hove’s point, that prejudice exists only in the mind’s eye? Maybe, but once these boys and girls start to rumble, you’ll wish they were wearing team uniforms."

"Their choreography has aggressive accents of taekwondo and boxing, along with an air-slicing assortment of somersaults. Yet generally, these dancers seem less like kamikaze street warriors than scampering puppies, who like nothing more than to run around in circles and wriggle on their backs."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#40WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:19pm

“ But Ramasar, once cast, actually needed a very different form of directorial support. West Side Story requires enormous things of its performers, and Ramasar’s singing voice is unsteady, his acting, rendered ludicrous by his stage–Puerto Rican accent, hammy.”

https://www.vulture.com/2020/02/theater-review-a-new-west-side-story-onscreen-all-the-way.html

Updated On: 2/20/20 at 09:19 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:33pm

“ When the Sharks and Jets go at it, they do so as physical ballet, at one point stripped off, water showering down, soaked to their skins, tumbling over one another angrily. It looks less like gang warfare, and more as if a group of muscle boys have suddenly stopped feeling horny, and started arguing about the merits of Pete Buttigieg as an out-gay candidate.”

LOL from The Daily Beast review.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#43WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:42pm

ljay889 said: "“ When the Sharks and Jets go at it, they do so as physical ballet, at one point stripped off, water showering down, soaked to their skins, tumbling over one another angrily. It looks less like gang warfare, and more as if a group of muscle boys have suddenly stopped feeling horny, and started arguing about the merits of Pete Buttigieg as an out-gay candidate.”

LOL from The Daily Beast review.
"

WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SouthernCakes
#44WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:44pm

These reviews are really entertaining. They almost make me want to see this show but if they can’t sing or act what’s the point?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#45WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:49pm

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#46WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:50pm

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#47WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:51pm

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#48WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:52pm

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#49WEST SIDE STORY reviews: opens Feb 20 2020
Posted: 2/20/20 at 9:53pm