pixeltracker

James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM

James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#1James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/4/20 at 8:23am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/James-McAvoy-Led-CYRANO-DE-BERGERAC-Comes-To-BAM-This-Spring-20200303

Good new for New Yorkers! Slightly irritating for me only because I'm currently in London, and I used one of my show slots to see the final performance of this on Saturday. But oh well! That's part of the game. At least now I don't have to be concerned about how to get tickets at BAM. 

The production's concept is really brilliant and fresh. I found it to be far more well-written and well-conceived than the recent musical version, though there are certain things I thought the musical did better. 

jiaxing_26
#2James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/4/20 at 8:45am

Missed the NTLive but glad to see it at BAM!

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#3James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/4/20 at 10:32am

I know I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but I really did not like this production at all.  Full disclosure, I am not a big fan of the play (though loved the Klein revival years back).  I had hoped the rap element would assist the script...it didn't.

Yes, McAvoy is quite broody (and yes...quite sexy), but the production did nothing for me.  

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#4James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/4/20 at 10:34am

Maybe if this came in next year I'd be more interested but I don't like this play enough to see it again after seeing the musical version just a few months ago.

Piparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
#5James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/4/20 at 10:45am

Does anyone know if BAM will do a couple of weeks of audience previews for this show?  I'd like to see it but our trip to the city is already scheduled for the end of April.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/4/20 at 12:42pm

Piparoo said: "Does anyone know if BAM will do a couple of weeks of audience previews for this show? I'd like to see it but our trip to the city is already scheduled for the end of April."

No. There may be a short preview period, but they would be built into the dates already announced. They wouldn’t add dates before May 8th. 

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#7James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/5/20 at 1:39pm

This production is total garbage.

What is a beautiful yet tragic story about love. Is transformed into something so ugly & crude. Populated with tick box minorities (gender, race, sexuality etc all covered) The performance I attended, had some empty seats after the interval and polite applause at the end.

The last time I saw this play (RSC/ Derek Jacobie), it had me in floods of tears for the final forty five minutes, so powerful and moving. This Lloyd version, left me cold & looking at my watch!

SisterGeorge
#8James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/5/20 at 6:12pm

Betrayal, Lungs, Medea all in one season and now this. I really do need to stop wasting my money going to London.

Sister George

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#9James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/6/20 at 11:24am

lotiloti:

I completely agree with your comments.  To your credit: at least you stayed.  I couldn't stand another minute of that drivel and left at intermission.  I would have left earlier had I not been in the center of my aisle.   

nasty_khakis
#10James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/6/20 at 11:52am

I saw it via NTLive and I know it's a completely different experience on some shows having seen it both live and via a screening, but I thought it was...fine? It certainly tries too hard and is confusing, but compared to some other "I'm a director and smarter than the playwright and need to fix a piece that's worked for centuries!" productions it's fine. 

My main gripe was McAvoy being so good looking, buff, and charming and the Christian being just ok looking thew me. I guess they were trying to say something about beauty outside/inside and I don't need a Cyrano to have a cartoon beak nose prosthetic, but having an attractive man take his shirt off and then talk about how ugly is is? Why? The mics also confused me since they seemed to pick and choose and random when to use them, never having any sort of clear "I use a mic when speaking truth vs lying" kind of concept. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#11James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 3/6/20 at 10:22pm

The actor who played Chrisatain is Hot AF.

Brilliant play, excellent acting, totally entertaining and quite possibly one of the best things I've seen on stage

I was very daunted by seeing such a classic like this but it's modern, its innovative, funny and often quite moving. 

blueshadows
#12James McAvoy CYRANO DE BERGERAC to play BAM
Posted: 4/5/22 at 7:26am

I think the first show is tonight. Anyone going? Would love to hear what people think. Heard great things about this show. Got tickets for Friday so will share my thoughts when I see it.
I think James McAvoy is one of the best actors working today (on film at least..I haven’t seen him on stage yet) so really looking forward to this.

Updated On: 4/5/22 at 07:26 AM