#275Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/12/20 at 7:29pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1122978#5239548

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#276Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/12/20 at 7:31pm

Even the person who started the thread did not feel the need to link it. Jesus.

"I like sources"

LOL.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#277Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/12/20 at 7:43pm

Just increasing access! You can also search if you like. It's not like I'm going to stop anyone from going the long way.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#278Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/12/20 at 7:44pm

Sampatches said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Looks like Mean Girls could be next

https://twitter.com/stagedoorguru/status/1282131636117700609?s=21
"

The doors got vandalized about a month or so ago and some of the posters were torn off, maybe they just took them all down and repainted so the theatre doesn’t look decrepit?

https://twitter.com/StageDoorGuru/status/1277330212422811648"

That is exactly the protocol in that situation. The installers, etc. that theaters use were just allowed to resume working in Phase 3; all theaters had to make do with whatever damage happened to their exteriors until very recently. Removing and painting are way cheaper than reprinting, not to mention the agencies that do this for the shows are almost entirely on furlough to deal with it. Plus, if the cast is or will be out of date by the time performances resume, contractually they have to come down. Don't take that as a sign of closure at all. Front of houses will come down all at once after an announcement - marquee, doors, cases, etc. all go together (with very few exceptions).

Updated On: 7/12/20 at 07:44 PM

singer234
#279Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/13/20 at 9:20am

Yeah, this is clearly to cover up the damage. Mean Girls is a tricky one, because while it technically should have closed already/not return, the key ingredient is Lorne Michaels. A source from Jujamcyn (not like hot tea or anything firm, even gossip for them I’m sure) that Lorne is pretty hell bent on keeping this show open. So we’ll see. They’re also still advertising ticket give aways, though of course that could be for the tour.

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#280Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/13/20 at 9:46am

When I first saw Mean Girls being mentioned here I was confused as I thought they were doing well financially, but now it makes more sense.

Broadway61004
#281Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/13/20 at 3:51pm

singer234 said: "Yeah, this is clearly to cover up the damage. Mean Girls is a tricky one, because while it technically should have closed already/not return, the key ingredient is Lorne Michaels. A source from Jujamcyn (not like hot tea or anything firm, even gossip for them I’m sure) that Lorne is pretty hell bent on keeping this show open. So we’ll see. They’re also still advertising ticket give aways, though of course that could be for the tour."

Not to discredit your source or anything, but literally every producer of every show is saying they're hell bent on keeping their show open.  That's not to say Mean Girls will close, but I'm not sure I'd rank it in the throngs of Hamilton, Wicked, Phantom, Mormon, etc., which are pretty near guarantees to return.

singer234
#282Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/13/20 at 4:45pm

Yeah, you’re definitely right about that. Everyone wants to come back. I find this show interesting because while you include it with the likes of the hits mentioned below, it seems a large majority of posters on this board have been predicting Mean Girl’s demise every week the grosses came out since probably summer of 2019, regardless of covid.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#283Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 7/13/20 at 4:59pm

Broadway61004 said: "Not to discredit your source or anything, but literally every producer of every show is saying they're hell bent on keeping their show open. That's not to say Mean Girls will close, but I'm not sure I'd rank it in the throngs of Hamilton, Wicked, Phantom, Mormon,etc., which are pretty near guarantees to return."

I have long been fond of saying that there are no rules. If that were half true before, it is exponentially more true now. It costs a producer nothing to say they are hell bent on anything, but it costs a fortune to run a show when you don't have an audience for it. With one exception (who does not have a show in the reopening mix) Broadway producers are not going to stay open if it means hemorrhaging money with no end in sight. Will that be the situation when Broadway first reopens? Your guess is as good as mine. Personally, I think the big tourist shows you mention (probably excluding Hamilton) may be the last to come back (if they do). Again, it depends on the public appetite and the degree of available treatments as well as the economy.  We are not going to wake up some morning and this is all going to seem like a bad dream. Covid is not like a hurricane or tornado. I am optimistic, but I also try to be realistic.

ArtMan
#284Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 10:39pm

Luminaire2 said: "ElphabaGoodman said: "Luminaire2 said: "Took me forever to find this thread again.

Anastasia tour is done.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBqL5gbF-hG/?igshid=1e5mrpnyv59ca
"

Anastasia will be going back out as a non-union tour.
"

Sure, but I have doubts about that as scheduled also. It’s on my 20/21 season in January...

But originally the equity tour was being rescheduled, now it is axed. Sad for that cast and crew.
"

The Anastasia tour is back on....YEY.  It was cancelled from our 2020 season in Jacksonville.  Now we are getting it  March 2022.  Which is good for me, since I own their cast recording, but didn't get to see the show.  We have now lost Mean Girls, which was suppose to be May 2021.  This will be my second time not being able to see it.  I'm going to remain optimistic, I may get a third chance.

ArtMan
#284Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 10:39pm

double

Updated On: 1/15/21 at 10:39 PM

SouthernCakes
#285Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 1/15/21 at 11:33pm

Don’t support these tours. Gross.

ArtMan
#286Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 12:01am

Why Not?

Updated On: 1/16/21 at 12:01 AM

Theatrefanboy1
#287Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 1/16/21 at 9:35am

Well I predict that the end may be near for Harry Potter sadly. I think when shows come back they’ll be looking for no two part epics. It also wouldn’t surprise me that Girl from the North, Jagged Little Pill, American Buffalo, take me out, ain’t too proud, Diana, mj, two kill a mockingbird, Mrs Doubtfire, flying over sunset and Hadestown all either announce closing, canceled or much delayed openings (like well into 2022-23 season)

I predict that when new shows comeback or are announced they will be smaller casts, 90-120 minutes almost Vegas style. No intermission. I think long gone will be those days of 750+$ tickets or general rush. The base rate will sit somewhere around 75-100$, you’ll be temperature checked, with name corresponding to the ticket, no stage door, and now your “interactions” with cast will come via a digital portal with proceeds going to broadwaycares. As they’ll have to rebuild after this.
Possibly for the first six months in the prices will be lower to entice locals to come see shows which many say in recent years have been priced so high the local families could never afford to take in the theatre.