pixeltracker

Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight - Page 2

Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#25Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/28/20 at 7:11pm

ljay889 said: "Buckley did it at Papermill and Laurents tore her apart backstage telling her she won’t be playing the role again.
I believe the story is that Sondheim also didn’t enjoy her Rose but didn’t berate her like Laurents, and was unhappy how Laurents treated her.
"

Betty tells the story that Sondheim told her that he did not like her arrangements of his songs on her CDs

binau Profile Photo
binau
#26Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 3:45am

blaxx said: "Wonder why they always ask her about Peters, like they want her to confess something.

I don't remember anyone asking Peters about la LuPone.
"

Yes I think because Peters does not have much of a real authentic public personality whereas Patti is notorious for speaking her mind in hilarious and entertaining ways. Even her thoughts on Cats was hilarious. 

The other element I guess is that for some reason Patti has been the more publicly unlucky one when it comes to Bernadette and Sondheim. I believe Patti was involved in Into the Woods at one point but it fell through. She tried to replace Bernadette in Sunday but was rejected. She was going to do Passion but went to sunset instead. She wanted to be in the Mendes Gypsy but it didn’t happen. She called Trevor Nunn to replace CZJ in Night Music but ‘never head back’. She doesn’t think Sondheim likes her. Meanwhile Bernadette gets all these roles, glory and association with Sondheim. That said, in some ways Patti is having the last laugh - as Bernadette’s voice has sadly been declining over the last 20 years (although I think it’s still really nice and I love it, quirks and all), Patti’s voice sounds almost perfect - which has helped her greatly smash out a performance in Gypsy, War Paint and Company.  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 3:46am

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

theatreguy12
#28Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 3:48am

sng said: "the show is of course wild. Patti said Streisand is too old and not hungry for Gypsy, said she deserved the Tony over JoannaGleason, wasn't happy Berdanette got Gypsy. and she had crabs 2 TIMES."

So Streisand is too old for Gypsy, but PL is not too old to be doing an explicit sex scene in an upcoming TV show with a guy young enough to be her grandson? 
Somehow though I think BS would be above doing something like that. 
Even in the golden days of Hollywood when the older actors were cast opposite younger women you never saw that age difference. And they weren’t doing explicit scenes. 
Total bizarro factor on this one. 

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#29Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 4:53am

CATSNYrevival said: "It’s the same with Glenn Close as far as I understand. When Glenn accepted Norma she likely didn’t know Patti was contracted for Broadway and then fired. Yet Patti still doesn’t seem to care for Glenn Close."

EVERYONE knew Patti was contracted to do Sunset Blvd on Broadway. It was all announced at once. Patti opens in London, Glenn opens in LA, Patti transfers to NYC. One of the reasons it upset Patti so much was it was such a high profile humiliation. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#30Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 5:44am

theatreguy12 said: "sng said: "the show is of course wild. Patti said Streisand is too old and not hungry for Gypsy, said she deserved the Tony over JoannaGleason, wasn't happy Berdanette got Gypsy. and she had crabs 2 TIMES."

So Streisand is too old for Gypsy, but PL isnot too old to be doing an explicit sex scene in an upcoming TV show with a guy young enough to be her grandson?
Somehow though I think BS would be above doing something likethat.
Even in the golden days of Hollywood when the older actors were cast opposite younger women younever saw that age difference. And they weren’t doing explicit scenes.
Total bizarro factor on this one.
"

Streisand is pushing 80 years of age.  80.  She’s not 60.  Physically she has limitations.  Vocally as well.  It’s now ridiculous at her age to play a role half her age.  LuPone is playing a character in HOLLYWOOD that is her age.  The sex scenes are applicable in the context of the story.  She isn’t playing a 25 year old dating a young Hollywood wannabe.  Had she been, then the Streisand comparison would fully apply here.  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#31Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 10:02am

Sad to hear that both Andy and Patti have been hearing Broadway is likely to return next year (January). 

I'm still hoping a few shows will come back in the fall. It will be interesting to experience the holidays in New York City without any tourists.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#32Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 10:29am

Wick3 said: "Sad to hear that both Andy and Patti have been hearing Broadway is likely to return next year (January).

I'm still hoping a few shows will come back in the fall. It will be interesting to experience the holidays in New York City without any tourists.
"

Even January is only a date that was tossed around, according to Patti.

Darreyl with an L!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#33Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 11:35am

Firstly, Andy Cohen is the biggest pot stirrer since the pot was invented. Patti and Bernadette aren't going to meet at the Tony's lunch and Bernadette flip a table after Patti tells her about Gypsy with Audra McDonald and Donna Murphy watching from the sidelines.

Secondly, I think that everyone knows that Patti LuPone has an opinion and will speak it, if given her chance...which obviously she did. It's funny if she does believe Sondheim doesn't like her, because she has played many of his leading ladies in major productions either on Broadway, regionally, or in large concert. I think that Patti (and I would agree) obviously considers herself an actress. Sondheim's pieces are always talked about for their acting ability and how strong the character is. I think that in the medium of musical theatre, if she can't achieve in these incredible acting roles created by the "master", is she an actress. Also, to have Rose be labelled the "King Lear" of female roles, she would relish knowing she won high acclaim and  the Tony, especially while Bernadette is the only actress (Edit: besides Ethel Merman) to not win the Tony for Rose on Broadway.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone
Updated On: 4/29/20 at 11:35 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#34Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 11:35am

qolbinau said: "blaxx said: "Wonder why they always ask her about Peters, like they want her to confess something.."

Patti has certainly been the more vocal of the two about her career disappointments, and simply by proxy of being a contemporary of Bernadette Peters, naturally, some of those disappointments are going to be projects that Peters was involved in. In addition to the examples you mention, I believe LuPone also really hoped to headline the ANNIE GET YOUR GUN revival that went to Peters. There is thus no question that LuPone and Peters have to a certain degree been career rivals, but I doubt there is any real personal bad blood between them. If anything it sounds like they've kept their distance from each other.  Maybe because of that, I'm sure I'm not alone in loving the idea of seeing some kind of Peters/ LuPone collaboration - even if just a one night concert like the famous one career rivals Mary Martin and Ethel Merman did together. It would probably be pretty magical (and cathartic). 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#35Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/29/20 at 12:50pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Firstly, Andy Cohen is the biggest pot stirrer since the pot was invented. Patti and Bernadette aren't going to meet at the Tony's lunch and Bernadette flip a table after Patti tells her about Gypsy with Audra McDonald and Donna Murphy watching from the sidelines.

Secondly, I think that everyone knows that Patti LuPone has an opinion and will speak it, if given her chance...which obviously she did. It's funny if she does believe Sondheim doesn't like her, because she has played many of his leading ladies in major productions either on Broadway, regionally, or in large concert. I think that Patti (and I would agree) obviously considers herself an actress. Sondheim's pieces are always talked about for their acting ability and how strong the character is. I think that in the medium of musical theatre, if she can't achieve in these incredible acting roles created by the "master", is she an actress. Also, to have Rose be labelled the "King Lear" of female roles, she would relish knowing she won high acclaim and the Tony, especially while Bernadette is the only actress to not win the Tony for Rose on Broadway.
"

Ethel Merman didn't win either... Mary Martin won and Ethel said something to the effect that of course a nun was going to win lol

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#36Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/30/20 at 1:21am

CATSNYrevival said: "It’s the same with Glenn Close as far as I understand. When Glenn accepted Norma she likely didn’t know Patti was contracted for Broadway and then fired. Yet Patti still doesn’t seem to care for Glenn Close."

I thought they had buried the hatchet? I recall seeing the docu thing that LuPone's son made a few years ago where she catches up with Glenn C at a dinner function.... 'so much to say... and yet so little to say' or something like that? 

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#37Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/30/20 at 1:47am

Patti frequently exhumes her hatchets.

I love this messy Queen.

zainmax
#38Patti LuPone will be on WWHL At Home tonight
Posted: 4/30/20 at 2:08am

BenElliott said: "Patti frequently exhumes her hatchets.

I love this messy Queen.
"

Patti does as Patti wants. Nothing is unexpected!!

Videos