Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure

Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/19/20 at 1:44pm

I've seen other reports that the Donmar is in the same position. Both theatres would be a devastating loss to the London theatre scene, if they were to close. However, I have to admit I've been a bit less sympathetic toward the Globe and their mission ever since they fired Emma Rice. That isn't to say that I want to them to close, but if I had to pick one to donate to, I'd rather give to Donmar. 

Hope they both make it through though! 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/19/20 at 3:46pm

I refuse to believe this is a possibility.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#4Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/19/20 at 6:43pm

IF this is true, I can totally see Cameron Mackintosh or Andrew LW swooping in to purchase. They already own half of the theatres in the West End. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#5Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/19/20 at 7:43pm

BeNice said: "IF this is true, I can totally see Cameron Mackintosh or Andrew LW swooping in to purchase. They already own half of the theatres in the West End."

Having two of the biggest titans of commercial theatre in the UK buying the venues off the hands of non-profit companies and using the spaces for their own profit is entirely contrary to the spirit of both of these theatres. At that point, they might as well close, because it's essentially the same thing. 

Now, if Macintosh or ALW wanted to DONATE enough money to these theatre companies that they could continue running, that's a different matter, and I would entirely support that. 

Updated On: 5/19/20 at 07:43 PM

AllThatJazz2
#6Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/19/20 at 9:53pm

This hurts my heart. When I finally made it out to London, my family and I visited the Globe and absolutely loved it. I would hate to think of it not being there anymore. Hopefully they can get the assistance necessary to stay open.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/20/20 at 1:46am

JBroadway said: "I've seen other reports that the Donmar is in the same position. 

The Donmar closing would be devastating, I can't even believe something like that could happen. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#8Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/20/20 at 1:37pm

JBroadway said: "I've seen other reports that the Donmar is in the same position. Both theatres would be a devastating loss to the London theatre scene, if they were to close. However, I have to admit I've beena bitless sympathetic toward the Globe and their mission ever since they fired Emma Rice. That isn't to say that I want to them to close, but if I had to pick one to donate to, I'd rather give to Donmar.

Hope they both make it through though!
"

I don't know Emma Rice nor the firing but I just read this article from BBC that stated she may have been fired due to her trying to modernize the lighting/sound of the Globe? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37761530

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#9Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/20/20 at 1:57pm

Wick3 said: "JBroadway said: "I don't know Emma Rice nor the firing but I just read this article from BBC that stated she may have been fired due to her trying to modernize the lighting/sound of the Globe?"

Yes, it was quite the scandal at the time. This whole debacle coincidentally happened during the short time I was living in London, so I was following it very closely. It's all very complicated, and I sympathize with both sides of the argument, but I tend to fall on "team Emma" (hence, me being less sympathetic toward the Globe because of their decision to fire her). Here is a discussion on Tumblr that laid out both sides of the argument very eloquently: 

https://sonnetsandsoliloquies.tumblr.com/post/152408436002/emma-rices-departure-is-not-about-lighting

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#10Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/20/20 at 2:01pm

Much as I love Donmar, it's harder for me to imagine the world without the Globe. Obviously it's had quite a few tune-ups over the centuries, but it's quite literally survived plagues before...

I know you. I know you. I know you.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#11Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre Facing Closure
Posted: 5/20/20 at 2:31pm

GlindatheGood22 said: "Much as I love Donmar, it's harder for me to imagine the world without the Globe. Obviously it's had quite a few tune-ups over the centuries, but it's quite literally survived plagues before..."

Hate to break it to you (and my apologies if you're joking), but this structure is a recreation of the original Globe. It was built in 1997. The original Globe does not exist anymore. They've found the spot where they think the Globe once actually stood, and it's now a parking lot, covered partly by a building. 

Updated On: 5/20/20 at 02:31 PM

Videos