pixeltracker

Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF- Page 3

Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#50Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:16pm

I'm rewatching FIDDLER ON THE ROOF on Blu-ray now. I think, as far as traditional Broadway classics go, this is the best film adaptation we'll see of the property. 

Also, I believe CABARET is the best film adaptation of a Broadway musical ever done. It became a drama with music as opposed to a traditional film musical. It worked for the medium. Just my opinion.

I don't believe that every film musical considered a classic is untouchable. I think it would be interesting to see a new take on MY FAIR LADY...but still keeping the show set in the time it depicts...not a PC version that alters Shaw to fit some of today's audience comfort levels. That said, while enjoyable, the film comes across as a bit stilted today.

Then again, we're talking about musicals and film musicals. They're, for the most part, wonderful things of the past. Sure, there are interesting musicals produced today, but they're very different from the lion's share of past Broadway musicals that defined the genre.

Finally, I still believe that Jewison's film adaptation of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF is perfection.

P.S. Can we stop referring to Kail as the director of the HAMILTON film? He directed the Broadway production that was captured for eventual release. He did not adapt HAMILTON for a movie production. There's a big difference. Kail preserved his Broadway production, he did not adapt it for a motion picture version.

bear88
#51Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:23pm

Jarethan said: "DramaTeach said: "I agree that the choreography in the most recent revival was gorgeous. I also second whoever suggested Mandy Patinkin. Based on the quarantine home videos that he posts of himself and his Golde eating matzah, he's basically already prepping for the role.

I sincerely hope that this is not a modern or multicultural version of the story. The story is about one group of people, and the plot is universal enough that all can relate to it no matter their background. And it shouldn't be modern, Yes, there's still prejudice, but again, this is something we can connect on our own. It doesn't need to be spelled out for us. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of this.
"

Film has to be more realistic than stage productions. That is why, in the final analysis, Babs never made Gypsy and Glenn is never going to make Sunset. IMO Patinkin is 2 decades too old for the role; I will be shocked if he is chosen, despite being incredibly talented. Also, I think he is already committed to the revival of The Great Comet that is planned for 2022.
"

There’s going to be a revival of Great Comet with Mandy Patinkin in 2022? What'd I miss? Or is this just a crazy rumor?

Globefan
#52Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:24pm

MichelleCraig said: "I'm rewatching FIDDLER ON THE ROOF on Blu-ray now. I think, as far as traditional Broadway classics go, this is the best film adaptation we'll see of the property.

Also, I believe CABARET is the best film adaptation of a Broadway musical ever done. It became a drama withmusic as opposed to a traditional film musical. It worked for the medium. Just my opinion.

I don't believe that every film musical considered a classic is untouchable. I think it would be interesting to see a new take on MY FAIR LADY...but still keeping the show set in the time it depicts...not a PC version that alters Shaw to fit some of today's audience comfort levels. That said, while enjoyable, the film comes across as a bit stilted today.

Then again, we're talking about musicals and film musicals. They're, for the most part, wonderful things of the past. Sure, there are interesting musicals produced today, but they're very different from the lion's share of past Broadway musicals that defined the genre.

Finally, I still believe that Jewison's film adaptation of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF is perfection.

P.S. Can we stop referring to Kail as the director of the HAMILTON film? He directed the Broadway production that was captured for eventualrelease. He did not adapt HAMILTON for a movie production.There's a big difference. Kail preserved his Broadway production, he did not adapt it for a motion picture version.

"My Fair Lady could do with the Kail treatment 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#53Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:27pm

P.S. Can we stop referring to Kail as the director of the HAMILTON film? He directed the Broadway production that was captured for eventualrelease. He did not adapt HAMILTON for a movie production.There's a big difference. Kail preserved his Broadway production, he did not adapt it for a motion picture version.

But he has directed the filmed version of the Broadway production, which is not the same as directing the Broadway production.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#54Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:33pm

bear88 said: "There’s going to be a revival ofGreat Cometwith Mandy Patinkin in 2022? What'd I miss? Or is this just a crazy rumor?"

It's a joke - because Patinkin was cast in Great Comet but pulled about because of the Oak debacle. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#55Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:40pm

Great. You said his name. That’s like saying Beetlejuice. Now Erivo will tweet non stop until she and Oak are cast as Tevye and Golde.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#56Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:41pm

re "a better use of his talents," fair enough but in America we still let each person decide what is the best use of their talents, no?

re the PS and following up on Tag, first, what difference does it make and second, as stated, he did in fact direct the filmed version. There were probably in excess of a thousand individual directing choices made for the film. Like everything else we say these things about routinely here, these things don't just magically happen. He earned the credit.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#57Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:47pm

Tag wrote: But he has directed the filmed version of the Broadway production, which is not the same as directing the Broadway production.

Yes, but there's a big difference in directing a show on Broadway and directing a motion picture of the source material. We won't know for another six weeks how the Kail film of the Broadway production has turned out...but in many instances, a director specializing in television production (Like a Lonny Price) is brought in to capture the Broadway performance for ancillary markets; capturing the stage director's vision. HAMILTON wasn't reinvented for Kail to direct a production for film/tape preservation. July 3rd will tell...

Updated On: 5/29/20 at 11:47 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#58Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/28/20 at 11:54pm

Then Disney should of just paid the 75 million for the Lincoln Center archival right? /eyeroll

Impossible2
#59Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:11am

Andy Nyman was fantastic in the London production they should use him x

Jordan Catalano
#60Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:13am

^Wasn't he amazing?? He was the best actor I’ve ever seen live, playing that role.

Updated On: 5/29/20 at 12:13 AM

Impossible2
#61Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:21am

Jordan Catalano said: "^Wasn't he amazing?? He was the best actor I’ve ever seen live, playing that role."

Yup he was brilliant. I only went to see it because he was in it and he didn’t let me down. The whole production was amazing! Glad I saw it at MCF though as I think it would’ve lost some of its magic in a larger setting.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#62Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:24am

Yes, it was absolutely gorgeous at the Menier, and Andy and Judy Kuhn were such a heavenly combination. But Andy in particular was brilliant, he redefined the role for me.

Jordan Catalano
#63Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:24am

I saw it twice at the Playhouse and was never disappointed with the theatre. Once with Kuhn and then I had to fly back over to see Maria Friedman, who was so damn good.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#64Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:29am

I also saw it at the Playhouse and absolutely loved it. Though I do think I would've rather seen it at the Menier if I had been given the choice. 

Impossible2
#65Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:29am

Jordan Catalano said: "I saw it twice at the Playhouse and was never disappointed with the theatre. Once with Kuhn and then I had to fly back over to see Maria Friedman, who was so damn good. "

I really wanted to see it at thePlayhouse just to see how they did it there with the walkway etc as I’m sure it was just as good but I never got around to it unfortunately. It was my fave production of the year and I’m gutted I didn’t get to see it again. 

Jordan Catalano
#66Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:34am

Yeah the walkway was the only thing that kind of pissed me off. I had really good seats in the Dress Circle both times and it wasn’t until after the second time I saw it that I even realized that was there and that was only because I had to go into the Stalls to talk to an employee.

Globefan
#67Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 10:03am

I hope Yente in this new version is the Yente from the stage production, not the 1971 film version of Yente, where she was so timid. 

Jarethan
#68Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 10:43am

bear88 said: "Jarethan said: "DramaTeach said: "I agree that the choreography in the most recent revival was gorgeous. I also second whoever suggested Mandy Patinkin. Based on the quarantine home videos that he posts of himself and his Golde eating matzah, he's basically already prepping for the role.

I sincerely hope that this is not a modern or multicultural version of the story. The story is about one group of people, and the plot is universal enough that all can relate to it no matter their background. And it shouldn't be modern, Yes, there's still prejudice, but again, this is something we can connect on our own. It doesn't need to be spelled out for us. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of this.
"

Film has to be more realistic than stage productions. That is why, in the final analysis, Babs never made Gypsy and Glenn is never going to make Sunset. IMO Patinkin is 2 decades too old for the role; I will be shocked if he is chosen, despite being incredibly talented. Also, I think he is already committed to the revival of The Great Comet that is planned for 2022.
"

There’s going to be a revival ofGreat Cometwith Mandy Patinkin in 2022? What'd I miss? Or is this just a crazy rumor?
"

I guess my rare jokes are still subtle.  Why would they revive The Great Comet any time soon?  It has been a financial failure 3 separate times.  (This is about reality, not quality).  In stating that he is much too old for the role, I wanted to make it a moot point by saying 'and he's not available any way'.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#69Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 11:22am

If they make it shorter than the 70’s movie I’m in.

I’m glad people love the movie.

I think it is such a slog to sit through while stage show is a joy

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#70Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 11:50am

Serious question: should they only cast Jewish actors?

Jordan Catalano
#71Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 11:59am

No. I can't think of one single other Jew I know who would care about that.

But then again, I don't really know the people who live their lives to be outraged over anything, so I'm sure they're out there. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#72Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:19pm

Well the 2004 revival took a lot of flack for being the most non-Jewish Fiddler.

Jordan Catalano
#73Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:21pm

Well, I mean Rosie O'Donnell singing combined with the daughters getting a sponge bath on stage didn't really help.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#74Thomas Kail, For Some Reason, Is Remaking FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Posted: 5/29/20 at 12:33pm

There are definitely people out there who take issue with Goyim playing Jews - I remember there being some backlash with the recent London production of Falsettos. 

Personally, speaking as a Jew myself, I don't think it's an issue. If the actors are doing justice to the role, and it feels like they understand the culture being represented onstage, then I say go for it. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case - I've definitely seen some non-Jewish actors who clearly didn't understand Jewish culture, and didn't come off as Jewish to me at all. In general, I think jews just tend to be better at playing other Jews, understandably. But I don't think it's essential, in the way that it's essential to cast black people in black roles, etc.