pixeltracker

Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?- Page 2

Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 9:56am

Every single post in this thread is much ado about nothing. They can post a schedule and sell tickets for whatever agenda they are implicitly peddling but the bottom line is that they cannot open until given permission by the state, and even then they will be subject to restrictions on social distancing that will make those performances economically untenable. And there is zero chance of having a treatment by then. I suggest everyone save their energy on this and expend it on something worthy of their time, like thinking about how they might contribute to our collective self awareness about ending systemic racism.

Phantom4ever
#26Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 11:12am

Got it.  No Broadway talk until systemic racism is solved.  

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#27Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 11:27am

Phantom4ever, perhaps you could get in contact with Telecharge, or the Shubert Organization's offices and ask them.  Let us know what you find out.  

Phantom4ever
#28Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 1:32pm

Hi NealB i think you mentioned that earlier in the thread and I forgot to respond. The Telecharge site says that their call center is closed, and they are taking emails about ticket questions. Those emails are supposed to take 3 to 5 business days to be answer because they have "very limited" staff. So I don't think I want to bug them with this. I was hoping that maybe some of the insiders on this board would know a secret or two. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#29Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 1:47pm

Phantom4ever said: "Got it. No Broadway talk until systemic racism is solved."

No, it seems you still don't get it. Robust discussion of the theatre (whether Broadway talk or beyond it) is a great thing, now as always, maybe even more now. But if the choice is between this "much ado about nothing" talk about a show's fake schedule as if it means anything (which is at the low end of the continuum of relevance, if it hasn't fallen off the continuum altogether) and discussing systemic racism (which is at the high end of the continuum), there's no contest. 

carnzee
#30Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 1:57pm

HogansHero said: "Phantom4ever said: "Got it. No Broadway talk until systemic racism is solved."

No, it seems you still don't get it. Robust discussion of the theatre (whether Broadway talk or beyond it) is a great thing, now as always, maybe even more now. But if the choice is between this "much ado about nothing" talk about a show's fake schedule as if it means anything (which is at the low end of the continuum of relevance, if it hasn't fallen off the continuum altogether) and discussing systemic racism (which is at the high end of the continuum), there's no contest.
"

If this topic is so unimportant, you are welcome to stop posting in this thread. It seems you are able to find the time to be condescending (as usual) and talk down to others, even though there are much more important things that you could spend your time and energy on. You are getting worked up over nothing. But by all means, if you have nothing better to do, continue posting on this allegedly frivolous thread. 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#31Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 2:57pm

Phantom4ever, yes Telecharge is closed, and you communicate to them via email.  Three to 5 days isn't really that long of a wait, and I'm sure they would get back to you sooner than that.  Ask them - doesn't hurt.  

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#32Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 3:57pm

carnzee said: "If this topic is so unimportant, you are welcome to stop posting in this thread. It seems you are able to find the time to be condescending (as usual) and talk down to others, even though there are much more important things that you could spend your time and energy on. You are getting worked up over nothing. But by all means, if you have nothing better to do, continue posting on this allegedly frivolous thread."

Your expansive permissions mean the world to me!

FWIW I do not find it condescending to correct misapprehensions that result in misleading and erroneous posts in a public forum, and from what I hear, many people appreciate it. You are of course free not to. Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge? 

BLM:WSEV

matt1982
#33Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 4:41pm

It is entirely possible that the producers of Phantom have a target date in their minds and a potential plan.  That plan could well be mid December.  However, the producers really have little to no control.  If the city says no, than they'll have to wait.  What I have learned over the last three months is that we really shouldn't have expectations for what will happen tomorrow, let alone 6 months from now. It's ever changing.  

I will say, it's becoming more and more obvious to me that trying to do things with social distancing is going to be tough.  I am a teacher, and we are working through plans about how school will reopen in September.  It's not going to be easy, but we will hopefully make it work.  Fingers crossed.  

All that to say, I don't find anything inherently wrong with hoping theatres will open sooner than later.  It's just important to know that "sooner" may be relative and be much "later" than we'd all like.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 5:43pm

I’ve been wondering if ALW will try to implement the same safety measures for POTO on Broadway, that he’s talking about for his UK theatres.

matt1982
#35Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 6:29pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’ve been wondering if ALW will try to implement the same safety measures for POTO on Broadway, that he’s talking about for his UK theatres."

If things go well in his UK theatres, I'm sure he'd pitch them to the Shuberts.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/5/20 at 11:41pm

matt1982 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I’ve been wondering if ALW will try to implement the same safety measures for POTO on Broadway, that he’s talking about for his UK theatres."

If things go well in his UK theatres, I'm sure he'd pitch them to the Shuberts.
"

He can try; it won't fly. And it is not the Shuberts he'd have to pitch to. I know everyone wants to look forward to an end to this but it cannot happen, especially not with Phantom, under the circumstances he is talking about. As I keep saying, there will be no Broadway with safety measures. 

KKeller6
#37Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/6/20 at 11:41am

I have to imagine if the Met is trying to plan on having shows December 31st, other theaters and producers have to ask, "If them, why not us"? Especially Radio City Christmas Show. Maybe they can begin performances after Thanksgiving. Who knows what these people are thinking, or what maneuvers are being discussed.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#38Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/7/20 at 12:18pm

For anyone still having trouble wrapping their head around where things are right now and for the near future, this extensive article today in the Beast by Tim Teeman might help: a dose of reality

Phantom4ever
#39Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/7/20 at 1:12pm

Fascinating article, but you keep trying to move this thread away from the original post. This thread is about Phantom’s odd future schedule on telecharge and what people might think it means. You already told us what you think it means. Then you got condescending and obnoxious and off topic. You already told me how clueless and terrible I am for asking a question about something other than BLM. You attempt to shut down every thread about the shutdown by saying no shows til there is a vaccine over and over again. But that’s not what this thread is about. Your anger and rage is misplaced, unnecessary, and inappropriate. If you can’t stay on topic, would you mind posting somewhere else? Thanks!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#40Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/7/20 at 1:47pm

Phantom4ever said: "Fascinating article, but you keep trying to move this thread away from the original post. This thread is about Phantom’s odd future schedule on telecharge and what people might think it means. You already told us what you think it means. Then you got condescending and obnoxious and off topic. You already told me how clueless and terrible I am for asking a question about something other than BLM. You attempt to shut down every thread about the shutdown by saying no shows til there is a vaccine over and over again. But that’s not what this thread is about. Your anger and rage is misplaced, unnecessary, and inappropriate. If you can’t stay on topic, would you mind posting somewhere else? Thanks!"

Your OP is, in the first instance, about Christmas 2020, not "odd future schedules." So it is certainly not off-topic to suggest that such a subject requires an excursion to fantasy land. I am sorry you find that attempt to tether the thread to reality to be condescending or obnoxious. 

As I explained very clearly on 6/5/20 at 01:47pm, I have not nor would I ever suggest restricting discussion here to BLM or anything else. But that does not mean that I should not point out a blatant misunderstanding of reality that is implicit in a post. 

PS I am not angry or enraged; nor am I the one who is having trouble staying on topic. If a Christmas schedule is not something you intended to discuss, then perhaps you should amend your OP. It's inaccurate, and the linked article was offered as edification to those who require it.

Jarethan
#41Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/7/20 at 5:39pm

HogansHero said: "For anyone still having trouble wrapping their head around where things are right now and for the near future, this extensive article today in the Beast by Tim Teeman might help:a dose of reality"

A powerful, depressing read.  But it is realistic, as I have felt all of your personal posts have been on this awful subject.  

I keep on remembering a performance of Three Tall Women, 7th or 8th row in the orchestra on the left side, sitting in a cramped seat in a cramped row, next to a person who coughed periodically throughout the runtime of the play, and in front of another person who was also coughing, though not as much (admittedly, probably the worst experience of its kind that I can recall). 

I think about that specific incident, and just can't imagine myself going into any theatre until. there is a vaccine or a timely, very effective treatment.  (Note: I usually attend the theatre 40+ times a year, about half of them on Broadway).  Would I worry -- every time anyone sitting near me coughed -- whether I have been impacted by that cough, especially if that person was not wearing a mask?  On the other hand, would I be willing to sit in a cramped theatre to watch a full-length play or musical with a mask on, knowing that every second in which I am currently wearing a mask (generally for brief periods of time), I can't wait to rip it off (because I can't get used to wearing it and feeling like every breath I take is extra work).

Since I love the theatre, I do not treat this lightly; but is it worth the risk, especially given the fact that a decent percentage of shows have historically proved not to be worth the bother, even before the pandemic?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#42Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/7/20 at 10:22pm

and more explanation for why it's not going to happen...

new in the Times

Sorry if this seems condescending and obnoxious too. The saying used to be "the truth hurts." now I guess it is 4 syllables.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
nfrjikgovf
#44Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/8/20 at 9:00pm

HogansHero. If you are so interested in shutting down threads you dislike, apply to be a mod. Otherwise, unless it is especially egregious, just let the thread die and stop backseat moderating. 

Jarethan
#45Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/8/20 at 9:11pm

nfrjikgovf said: "HogansHero. If you are so interested in shutting down threads you dislike, apply to be a mod. Otherwise, unless it is especially egregious, just let the thread die and stop backseat moderating."

I think he is just trying to insure that the threads that are pandemic-related have at least one foot in reality.  There are a number of people on this board who seem to think that his posts are mean-spirited, i.e., 'bursting balloons'.  I think he is trying to get those people to have more realistic expectations re timing of re-opening.  To me, there are quite a few who don't seem to be living in reality.  Between timing of having and distributing a significant mass of vaccine (if there is one), the age of a significant portion of non-tourist audiences,  the crowded state of most (all?) Broadway theatres, impact of lack of tourists for some time, economic viability in a social distancing environment, and all the other things previously mentioned, the Broadway theatre is a long way from opening.

As a person who is 70, it suspect that this closure may disappoint me more than it does younger attendees, because in all probability, I have fewer theatergoing years than many;  but, I am trying to be realistic, so I am not repeatedly disappointed.

nfrjikgovf
#46Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/8/20 at 9:20pm

Jarethan. I don't even disagree with you or HogansHero. Realistically, he's right. It's the tone and the fact that I can't even lurk on threads without it devolving into 

HogansHero: Well you're all stupid. Thread over.

=

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#47Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/8/20 at 10:30pm

nfrjikgovf said: "HogansHero. If you are so interested in shutting down threads you dislike, apply to be a mod. Otherwise, unless it is especially egregious, just let the thread die and stop backseat moderating."

I have no interest in shutting down this or any thread. What I have an interest in is calling out false and misleading information, and supplying accurate information in its stead. (Hence my last several posts providing specific information on what Jarethan referred to as "reality."Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge? I have also never called anyone stupid (much less "all"Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?. I have called posts "delusional" and "wishful thinking" because there is no other apt label. Had the OP posted the information from Telecharge and said "let's fantasize about a world in which there was going to be a show during the holiday season," I would not have said anything. But as I am sure you know if you have read this thread, there are multiple posts that treat such an idea as a thing that is going to happen. And there are also people who read this board and, believe it or not, rely on what's written her. To mislead those people is, I would say, egregious enough to warrant correction.  

Phantom4ever
#48Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/8/20 at 11:36pm

I often enjoyed reading Hogan's posts because they usually were so informative and clear. However, since this pandemic hit, it seems that almost every thread I read has him saying one of two things: 1. Why did you create another thread about the pandemic? or 2. Broadway will not open until there is a vaccine which will not be for a long long time, so please stop discussing it. 
So I blocked Hogan and I haven't been seeing his comments but I have been seeing the replies to his comments so I guess he is still going strong. 
I thought my OP was clear. I was asking, in what was supposed to be a lighthearted way, what people thought about all of the oddities of Phantom's future schedule. A seven-month extension when normally it's just 2 or 3 month extension? Sunday evening performances?  No matinees?  I just thought i'd share the strangeness of it just in case anyone else thought it was crazy too. And perhaps on the off chance somebody would say "hey I'm an insider with such-and-such union/theater owner/Broadway League and this is really what they're all planning and Phantom just spilled the beans by publishing their new schedule"

But instead I got Hogan more or less shutting down everyone who posted. He first told me that when there are BLM protests going on, I shouldn't be thinking of anything else, and then he kept turning this thread into yet another WILL BROADWAY OPEN OR NOT thread which is clearly not the intent of my OP. Then his posts about that ultimately led to others posting their general feelings about if and when Broadway could/would/should reopen which, once again, is NOT the point of the OP. This was supposed to be about the weirdness, strangeness, conspiracy theory-ness of Phantom's future schedule. I guess Hogan was trying to say that Phantom could add a 20 performance a week schedule and it wouldn't matter because Broadway won't be open by August 2021 anyway. And I get that but once again, I wish he would work on his tone. I can deal with the snark on here---I mean what would BWW be without snark. But what he was doing in this thread and all the pandemic threads was unnecessary and obnoxious. Anyway.  I still hope somebody out there has some funny/interesting responses to Phantom's truly bizarre weekly schedule. 

Updated On: 6/8/20 at 11:36 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#49Phantom's future schedule on Telecharge?
Posted: 6/9/20 at 1:08am

lol more delusion. whatevs