"Beauty and the Beast" Overture

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#1"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/16/20 at 10:07pm

Does anyone know if any official cast recordings of "Beauty and the Beast" contain the overture? It's not long, but I love it and can't find an official recording, since they probably added it after they recorded for the Broadway production. (It's also not on the OLC.)

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/16/20 at 10:15pm

Yes, from the 2017 film. Probably not what you were looking for, but there doesn't seem to be any other official recording, I looked awhile ago too. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/16/20 at 10:22pm

As far as I know the stage version of the Overture is not included on any available commercial cast recording English or otherwise. There is a Russian language cast album produced by Stage Entertainment from 2009 and the first track translates to "Overture" but I have not heard this album and I am not certain the Overture is actually included. It could just be the Prologue or perhaps the Overture and Prologue are one track.

musicals1989
#4"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/16/20 at 11:58pm

The overture for the movie is not the same as the stage version. 

I don't think it was ever recorded on any of the cast recordings. 

Here is a pretty good live recording, though--LINK

lachri5
#5"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/17/20 at 12:14am

CATSNYrevival said: "As far as I know the stage version of the Overture isnot included on any available commercial cast recordingEnglish or otherwise. There is a Russian languagecast album produced by Stage Entertainment from 2009 and the first track translates to "Overture" but I have not heard this album and I am not certain the Overture is actually included. It could just be the Prologue or perhaps the Overture and Prologue are one track."

I have the Russian albums (there are 2, with different cast). It doesn't include the real overture. It's the prologue "once upon a time...".

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#6"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/17/20 at 12:28am

musicals1989 said: "The overture for the movie is not the same as the stage version.

Yeah, I'm aware of that which is why I stated "Probably not what you were looking for". 

Loopin’theloop
#7"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/18/20 at 8:13am

Sutton Ross said: "musicals1989 said: "The overture for the movie is not the same as the stage version.

Yeah, I'm aware of that which is why I stated "Probably not what you were looking for".
"

I do that in stores. I heard a woman ask for an Apple once so I have a can of coke. I said very clearly that it ‘probably wasn’t what she was looking for’ so I was surprised that she pointed out to me that what I gave her was a can of coke and not an apple. How snarky was she?! I literally said ‘probably not what you are looking for’ when I gave her something completely different than she was asking after. So now I’m snarky and I’m upping my meds.

JennH
#8"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/18/20 at 9:52am

I saw this on Broadway back when...I've also BEEN in the show. I don't remember this overture AT ALL! And now that I watched that link below, I'm continuing to wonder why it needs to exist when the prologue already exists and is brilliant. The tone differences back to back doesn't help it's case.

JohnyBroadway
#9"Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 9/18/20 at 2:36pm

I think it was a way to get the audience in their seats. I've seen the show performed with and without the Overture and it definitely has always put me into focus with it.

CATSNYrevival
Posted: 9/18/20 at 4:57pm

JennH said: "I saw this on Broadway back when...I've also BEEN in the show. I don't remember this overture AT ALL! And now that I watched that link below, I'm continuing to wonder why it needs to existwhen the prologue already exists and is brilliant. The tone differences back to back doesn't help it's case."

Depending on when you saw the show on Broadway, you may very well have seen it without the Overture. It wasn't added until later in the run. Personally, I like it and I like the way it leads into the Prologue. I don't find the change in tone to be an issue. In the Networks tour they cut the first bar or so of the Prologue, probably in an effort to ease that transition, but I don't know if that would have helped matters for you.

Updated On: 9/18/20 at 04:57 PM

madeofmusicals
Posted: 11/26/20 at 6:57am

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "Does anyone know if any official cast recordings of "Beauty and the Beast" contain the overture? It's not long, but I love it and can't find an official recording, since they probably added it after they recorded for the Broadway production. (It's also not on the OLC.)"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cyR1KR0DooE

Here it is! Found it on YT the other day! Hope this serves you!

CATSNYrevival
#12Re: "Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 11/26/20 at 11:05am

That's certainly the best one I've seen on Youtube.

fosterfan2
#13Re: "Beauty and the Beast" Overture
Posted: 11/26/20 at 11:44am

Beautiful overture. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney film score,too.