About the Tonys

melodyrose
#1About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 8:54am

I remember reading somewhere that an award show would be declaring all it's nominees to be the winners, due in part to the horrific state Broadway- and the world, is in now. I can't recall which show planned to do that, but I feel that the Tonys could maybe try doing this?

Make EVERYONE who was nominated a winner, because they- and we, will be the winners in the long run!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 10:58am

Was it maybe in your high school?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#3About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:08am

Oh good grief who cares about the fricking Tony’s at this point. I mean really. Come on.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:12am

You might be thinking of the Outer Critics Circle awards: this past year, instead of doing a traditional nominee/winner structure, they just decided to come up with a list of "honorees," where they recognized as many people/productions as they wanted - and everyone was on the same level. 

But there are 2 major differences between the OCC awards and the Tonys, in this scenario:

(1) The OCC awards decided to do this BEFORE they released their list. They didn't release a list of nominees and then later say "hey, good news, everyone won!" as you suggest. For the Tonys to do this, it would've required an entirely different voting process from the very beginning. So for them, that ship has sailed. It's not fair to either branch of the Tony committee (the nominators and the voters) to suddenly take away their ability to differentiate like this. When the nominators voted, they did so with the assumption that they were voting for nominations, not wins. And likewise, the people who do the final Tony votes shouldn't be denied the opportunity to cast their vote for a real winner. 

(2) The OCC also includes Off-Broadway in addition to Broadway. This means that the pool of contenders was much larger. Meaning that for them, it was actually possible to honor a group of people who all deserved the same level of recognition. The Tony pool (for musicals, at least) was much more slim pickings. They have already nominated a ton of people/productions who probably wouldn't have been nominated in a normal year. In my opinion, giving everyone the award would bastardize and de-legitimize the Tony Awards even more than they have been already.  

I'll say the same thing about this that I've been saying about the whole Tony situation this year: if making everybody happy and giving participation trophies has a tangible, positive effect on the industry, then fine. More power to them, and it's probably for the best. But I question whether it's really best in the long-run to dilute the meaning of a Tony award by giving them out like candy. And likewise, I doubt that any artist will derive any real, meaningful honor in being given an award under these circumstances. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:29am

Who benefits from the Tony awards being held now or even before the Fall, when there’s something to possibly advertise? Nobody. The fact that anyone still cares about these happening at all now is strange. Do you really want to see video clips of B-Roll cut together with Aaron Tveit sitting in his kitchen thanking his webcam for the Tony award that got messengered over or would you rather just wait (like we’re doing with EVERYTHING ELSE) until this is over and pick up the pieces where we left off and move on from there but by then do it from Radio City.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:34am

I don't think the OP was commenting either way about whether it should be done now or later. Just about whether or not this "everybody wins" idea might work. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 12:44pm

Make EVERYONE who was nominated a winner, because they- and we, will be the winners in the long run!"

Mel, you are the cutest person on BWW. Love the optimism, even though that's not really how it works with the Tonys. They should not have ever announced there would be a show in "Winter" because it seems that it won't happen. Huge disappointment to everyone who loves theater. 

Sigh. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 2:04pm

I don’t think there should be a single winner for the regional theatre award. They should try to celebrate all the regional theatres

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#9About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 2:24pm

re who benefits:

1. Producers

2. Nominees who win.

3. Some others.

ymmv

unclevictor
#10About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 6:34pm

there’s no benefits at this point. None! 

HogansHero said: "re who benefits:

1. Producers

2. Nominees who win.

3. Some others.

ymmv
"

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 6:48pm

Then don't watch it, nobody cares. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#12About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 7:39pm

unclevictor said: "there’s no benefits at this point. None!"

That's a joke, right?

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#13About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 8:02pm

An award shouldn’t be about benefits.

It should be about recognising excellence, then rewarding the best.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#14About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 9:47pm

Phantom of London said: "An award shouldn’t be about benefits.

It should be about recognising excellence, then rewarding the best.
"

That is true of some awards but not the Tonys. A benefit to producers is the sine qua non of the Tonys. What you are saying is tantamount to suggesting that the advertisements on a website should be restricted to the best in its category.

unclevictor
#15About the Tonys
Posted: 1/26/21 at 10:14pm

mmmm...no

HogansHero said: "unclevictor said: "there’s no benefits at this point. None!"

That's a joke, right?
"