pixeltracker

What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?- Page 2

What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?

A Director
#25What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 5:21am

Bettyboy72 said: "I’d dig Pink or Kelly Clarkson in Next To Normal."

Is it too much to ask they have the acting chops to play the role?

jo
#26What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 7:49am

sirpaieg said: "However, little do most of his fans know, Jackman's earliest breakout roles in acting did not come from clawing up bad guys in the X-Men movies. It came from working on Broadway."

I happened to be in London on a business trip and decided to look up some shows in 1999. Since I liked Rodgers&Hammerstein, I picked up dress circle seats to see the show (but couldn't see the performers' faces too well), which at that time, I thought was the least appealing of their shows to me, Oklahoma!.  Didn't know the lead but he had a commanding stage presence and a powerful voice. I found out much later that he was nominatedf for an Olivier for his role as Curly... I waited for him to come back to another West End show ...but it seems that while in Oklahoma!, he was seen in the show by the XMen producer, LaurenSDonner ( who will eventually produce all his XMen films for FOX)...and that meeting eventually led to Wolverine.  Before that, he was Gaston in Beauty&The Beast and Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard in his native Australia. But he had already done a dramatic movie  (Erskineville Kings) in Australia which was a forerunner of other dramatic movies he would eventually make ( TheFountain, The Prestige, Prisoners, Logan which has more dramatic gravitas than any other comicbook movie).  He did win a TONY for his first role on Broadway (TheBoy from Oz in 2003/04) which came after he had made a name in Hollywood. 

More recently, he did a complete turnabout - a very layered performance in Bad Education which was critically-raved about. I did get to see him in his 2 Broadway plays. Too bad that the initial interest to adapt A Steady Rain to film never happened after some initial interest from Spielberg.  Both he and Daniel Craig were excellent in that play about rogue cops from Chicago.

He is theatre-trained ( dramatic theatre, not musical theatre) so it was no surprise that he would come back to Broadway a number of times.

Updated On: 2/10/21 at 07:49 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#27What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 10:56am

A Director said: "Bettyboy72 said: "I’d dig Pink or Kelly Clarkson in Next To Normal."

Is it too much to ask they have the acting chops to play the role?

I think they could deliver with a solid director and supporting cast especially Pink. Both are exceptional vocalists who deliver emotionally in their songs. They easily channel emotion to tell a story in song. 

I mean after she won the Tony Alice was giving different performances nightly some that veered into Kabuki territory. I think Pink or Kelly would be fine. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#28What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 11:03am

Pink, maybe. Kelly Clarkson has been very forward about how she doesn't like acting and isn't good at it. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#29What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 11:30am

darquegk said: "Pink, maybe. Kelly Clarkson has been very forward about how she doesn't like acting and isn't good at it."

I suppose but has she really tried since From Justin to Kelly. She’s almost 40 and has lived a lot. I’ve seen her perform. She acts during songs. You feel every word. I’d be curious to see how she does in a musical. I also feel like she would fare better in a melancholy show rather than some toe tapper. I think she’d be out of her element there even though she has a perky persona. I think she brings more to darker material. 

Maybe Justin could be her Dan? Lol

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#30What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 12:20pm

I’d love for Nicole Kidman to come back to Broadway, as I have never seen her onstage. I think she’d probably be an amazing Blanche DuBois, but we’ve seen that show an awful lot. Maybe she could do some great new play.

I’d also love to see Cate Blanchett return in a play worthy of her talents. I saw her in the Present. She was an electric presence, the play was a piece of s*it.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#31What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 12:27pm

Both Nicole and Cate are such stunning, brilliant actresses. I would love for them to come back.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#32What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 1:08pm

Can you imagine if they did a show together?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#33What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 1:15pm

Now you've got me thinking about that! What an absolutely mind-blowing experience that would be. 

MysteriousLady
#34What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 1:48pm

NOWaWarning said: "I’d love for Nicole Kidman to come back to Broadway, as I have never seen her onstage. I think she’d probably be an amazing Blanche DuBois, but we’ve seen that show an awful lot. Maybe she could do some great new play.

Nicole as Blanche I can totally get on board with. 

MysteriousLady
#35What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 1:50pm

If they ever revived The Man Who Came to Dinner, I've always thought Alec Baldwin would be good in it; or Kelsey Grammer.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#36What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 1:58pm

Kelsey Grammer might be at “stop the steal” rallies for the next 15 years so he’s probably busy for the foreseeable future

Dollypop
#37What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 3:19pm

The obvious: Loretta Swit as Sugar Kane in SOME LIKE IT HOT.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#38What roles should some celebrities do on Broadway?
Posted: 2/10/21 at 4:57pm

Alfre Woodard as Caroline.

Just give the world Love.