pixeltracker

More minor changes in other shows?

More minor changes in other shows?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/13/21 at 11:43pm

Inspired by the Book of Mormon thread that was just recently started. I have been giving this some thought for a while, but I really hope the creative teams of some of the other musicals on hiatus have been using this shutdown to make some minor changes for a potential reopening (I think they would better their respective projects a bit).

Of course, the shows already in previews/about to begin previews last March are still in the adding/editing process, but let's discuss the states of the longer-runners.

I'll start first. I think Moulin Rouge! should definitely revert back to the originally published keys of both "Chandelier" (if it's in Danny's vocal range) and ESPECIALLY the reprise of "Your Song." Emotions are running high towards the end, and if people were to hear the latter in Eb major (which was the case in Boston), I'm sure audiences will let out even more sniffles.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

You may also remember during this same number in Boston, Satine barely mutters/sings "I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words..." right before she dies (and after she tells Christian to "tell our story"More minor changes in other shows?. Christian takes a moment as he looks over her dead body and tries to come to terms with what he is seeing. He tries finishing her phrase ("How wonderful life is, while you're..."More minor changes in other shows? but it is just too much for him to bear, and he starts to cry. I just wish they would bring that part back.

Also, the old, tempting, suspenseful intro to "Roxanne" must come back- the B'way orchestration is NOTHING like Boston's. I thought it gave me some "Be Prepared" vibes and it served as a perfect setup. Finally, no disrespect to "Crazy/Rolling," but if Justin Levine can acquire the licensing rights, "The Show Must Go On" should be inserted into the stage version. It would take on new meaning after the pandemic, and beef up Danny's role a bit more.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 3/14/21 at 11:43 PM

Theatrefanboy1
#2More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/14/21 at 12:32am

I completely agree with adding show must go on to moulin rouge. It was honestly my biggest disappointment with the show.

I would like for lion king to add back the full show instead of the fifteen minutes they cut.

Wicked to add back the witches hat at the beginning

Phantom to return to it’s original

An extra song to SIX

MollyJeanneMusic
#3More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/14/21 at 12:31pm

During a recent livestream on Twitch, Matt Doyle said that Stephen Sondheim is working on ways to change the reference to "hepatitis" in Getting Married Today to a coronavirus joke, at least for the first few performances back - which I think would be hilarious.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/14/21 at 1:04pm

The tour & Toronto versions of Come From Away has some slight tweeks to it compared to the Broadway version. Maybe they put these minor changes into the Broadway production when they start rehearsal?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/14/21 at 4:58pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "During a recent livestream on Twitch, Matt Doyle said that Stephen Sondheim is working on ways to change the reference to "hepatitis" in Getting Married Today to a coronavirus joke, at least for the first few performances back - which I think would be hilarious."

My suggestion would be, "Look, I'd hate to tell you, but I may be coming down with a severe coronavirus and I think I'm gonna faint, so if you want to see me faint...".

Oh look, a bibu!

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#6More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/14/21 at 11:34pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "During a recent livestream on Twitch, Matt Doyle said that Stephen Sondheim is working on ways to change the reference to "hepatitis" in Getting Married Today to a coronavirus joke, at least for the first few performances back - which I think would be hilarious."

I think it’s a little soon for Coronavirus jokes, to be honest.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/15/21 at 10:19am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "MollyJeanneMusic said: "During a recent livestream on Twitch, Matt Doyle said that Stephen Sondheim is working on ways to change the reference to "hepatitis" in Getting Married Today to a coronavirus joke, at least for the first few performances back - which I think would be hilarious."

I think it’s a little soon for Coronavirus jokes, to be honest.
"

Agreed. Way too soon.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#8More minor changes in other shows?
Posted: 3/15/21 at 7:43pm

I’m guessing the next major production of Anything Goes will make some changes where the Chinese characters are concerned. Don’t think they should be removed, as that’s more erasing the problem than fixing it, and that also would take away an acting opportunity for performers of color. Just fix around the dialogue about so they don’t sound so stereotypical, and rework the final scene a bit so the good guys don’t win by doing racist impressions.

Speaking of Chinese character related issues in Tony winning Sutton Foster led shows, I wonder if that City Center production of Thoroughly Modern Millie will still happen at a later time. I know if that they were planning to fix the racism issues. While that would require a bigger rewrite, I think it can be done well.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard