Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/16/21 at 2:52pm

I find it interesting that this has not been discussed in any of their hot topics. Not surprised . But interesting. Whoopi is all over the Rudin circle and mentioned in the article . And they talk about everything else on the show .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/16/21 at 2:58pm

Absolutely nothing will be done unless a high profile, extremely wealthy person actually does something. 

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#3Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/16/21 at 3:02pm

"The Rudin Circle" is also a big Democratic Party base. Not saying that Mr. Rudin doesn't deserve his comeuppance but this controversy is entangled with politics.

Updated On: 4/16/21 at 03:02 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#4Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/16/21 at 7:50pm

sinister teashop said: ""The Rudin Circle" is also a big Democratic Party base. Not saying that Mr. Ruidn doesn't deserve his comeuppance but this controversy is entangled with politics."

That is a load of crazy baloney.

sinister teashop
#5Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/16/21 at 8:06pm

DAME said: "sinister teashop said: ""The Rudin Circle" is also a big Democratic Party base. Not saying that Mr. Rudin doesn't deserve his comeuppance but this controversy is entangled with politics."

That is a load of crazy baloney.
"

Penske Media

Updated On: 4/16/21 at 08:06 PM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#6Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 9:28am

That is not why people aren't saying anything.

It's more likely they feel uncomfortable turning on someone they perhaps feel is a friend. And in many other cases, that likely isn't going anywhere and they fear the repercussions to their career.

I'm not judging either, for their both instinctual human reactions. But it's not because he's a major donation bundler.

KKeller6
#7Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 9:45am

I just don't think Rudin is Penske material.

sinister teashop
#8Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 10:05am

KKeller6 said: "I just don't think Rudin is Penske material."

DOJ in antitrust probe of Penske Media’s deal to buy The Hollywood Reporter

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#9Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:06am

sinister teashop said: "KKeller6 said: "I just don't think Rudin is Penske material."

DOJ in antitrust probe of Penske Media’s deal to buy The Hollywood Reporter
"

So far you have mentioned Penske twice, and both links you provided are non-sequiturs. What's your point? How in heaven's name could an antitrust investigation initiated by the Trump justice department relate to Scott Rudin? What is your infatuation with Penske? And how does any of this relate to the subject of this thread? 

sinister teashop
#10Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:19am

HogansHero said: "...how does any of this relate to the subject of this thread?"

I think we'll have to see. But the story that Penske Media's Hollywood Reporter broke ten days ago directly impacted Rudin's stepping down. 

Updated On: 4/17/21 at 11:19 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#11Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:43am

post hoc ergo propter hoc. You have offered non-sequiturs, essentially throwing stuff at the wall to see if any of it sticks. I don't have a dog in this race but it would be nice if people would try to find a little causation before doing a Gene McCarthy imitation. Show me a nexus and I will be grateful to you.

sinister teashop
#12Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:45am

HogansHero said: "post hoc ergo propter hoc. You have offered non-sequiturs, essentially throwing stuff at the wall to see if any of itsticks. I don't have a dog in this race but it would be nice if people would try to find a little causation before doing a Gene McCarthy imitation. Show me a nexus and I will be grateful to you."

The nexus would be us. You're welcome.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#13Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 11:58am

sinister teashop said: "The nexus would be us. You're welcome."

Another non-sequitur. Buh-bye.

jo
#14Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 12:00pm

sinister teashop said: "HogansHero said: "post hoc ergo propter hoc. You have offered non-sequiturs, essentially throwing stuff at the wall to see if any of itsticks. I don't have a dog in this race but it would be nice if people would try to find a little causation before doing a Gene McCarthy imitation. Show me a nexus and I will be grateful to you."

The nexus would be us. You're welcome.
"

I connected the dots easily. I did read the first article from Hollywood Reporter in 2010, IIRC, which detailed his relationship with his subordinates as well as the Page Six coverage on the same issues a few years later. I looked him up when he announced the revival of The Music Man thru his usual outlet then ( David Rooney of Hollywood Reporter). I did wonder why THR was rehashing them recently.

Also, he did not give his exclusive statement about withdrawing from Broadway with any Penske outlet (Hollywood Reporter/Deadline/Variety). but through Jeff Bezos's Washington Post.

His withdrawal is the best thing to do under the circumstances ( mainly no hindrance to the return of Broadway and taking care of the people whom he recruited or are now recruiting to give Broadway some of its best shows). 

Jo

jo
#15Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 12:06pm

I never realized how many shows he has produced or worked on for Broadway.

https://www.playbill.com/personrolespage/person-role-page?person=00000150-ac7a-d16d-a550-ec7eb41a0002

Some plays I had seen but did not realize they were produced by him.

Is Lehman Trilogy supposed to go to Broadway?

I didn't know that he has worked with Hugh Jackman before -- as one of the producers ( led by SFriedman) for The River.

jo
#16Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 4:00pm

@  Sinister Teashop --

Picked this up from the Washington Post  feature on Scott Rudin :

"
Rudin also has been instrumental behind the scenes over the past several months with Thomas Schumacher, president of Disney Theatrical Group, in efforts to put Broadway on a safe timetable for its return. At the behest of New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, he and Jane Rosenthal, co-founder of the Tribeca Film Festival, launched a months-long initiative, the NY PopsUp festival, to herald the impending reinstatement of live performance.

Allies of Rudin’s reached Saturday, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the allegations against him, said it was Rudin who put Broadway in touch with New York State officials, secured high-level Washington lobbyists and helped enlist Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., in the campaign to obtain federal relief for arts venues. That resulted in the $16.1 billion in aid provided by the Shuttered Venues Operators Grant program, which has yet to begin dispensing money."

Hmm...

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#17Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 4:16pm

sinister teashop said: ""The Rudin Circle" is also a big Democratic Party base. Not saying that Mr. Rudin doesn't deserve his comeuppance but this controversy is entangled with politics."

So is the Cuomo Circle, the Spitzer Circle, the Weiner circle, the Clinton Circle and the Franken Circle.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#18Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 4:25pm

henrikegerman said: "sinister teashop said: ""The Rudin Circle" is also a big Democratic Party base. Not saying that Mr. Rudin doesn't deserve his comeuppance but this controversy is entangled with politics."

So is the Cuomo Circle, the Spitzer Circle, the Weiner circle, the Clinton Circle and the Franken Circle.
"

Curious that you chose to forget the mother of all "Circles." Hmmm...

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#19Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 5:06pm

Ok let's not get this thread get derailed into Qanon conspiracy theories ...

sinister teashop
#20Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 5:56pm

jo said: "@ Sinister Teashop --

Picked this up from the Washington Post feature on Scott Rudin :

"
Rudin also has been instrumental behind the scenes over the past several months with Thomas Schumacher, president of Disney Theatrical Group, in efforts to put Broadway on a safe timetable for its return. At the behest of New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, he and Jane Rosenthal, co-founder of the Tribeca Film Festival, launched a months-long initiative, the NY PopsUp festival, to herald the impending reinstatement of live performance.

Allies of Rudin’s reached Saturday, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the allegations against him, said it was Rudin who put Broadway in touch with New York State officials, secured high-level Washington lobbyists and helped enlist Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., in the campaign to obtain federal relief for arts venues.That resulted in the $16.1 billion in aid provided by the Shuttered Venues Operators Grant program, which has yet to begin dispensing money."

Hmm...

"

Rudin is responsible for his own undoing. But yes, that doesn't mean that powerful interests can't profit off of it at the same time. 

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#21Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 5:58pm

He is an odious man and stepping aside is best. But he also produced  the best shows on Broadway - certainly everything I've wanted to see. And not a cartoon or crap jukebox musical in the lot. I hope somebody else picks up the slack, there are enough producers churning out garbage.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#22Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/17/21 at 9:50pm

DAME said: "I find it interesting that this has not been discussed in any of their hot topics. Not surprised . But interesting. Whoopi is all over the Rudin circle and mentioned in the article . And they talk about everything else on the show ."

Probably because they’ve been covering the Chauvin trial since it started weeks ago, and from that they cover the police and black men relations over the past few weeks, and then go into mass shootings over the past week or so. HT have not been enjoyable the past month. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#23Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/18/21 at 12:15pm

David10086 said: "DAME said: "I find it interesting that this has not been discussed in any of their hot topics. Not surprised . But interesting. Whoopi is all over the Rudin circle and mentioned in the article . And they talk about everything else on the show ."

Probably because they’ve been covering the Chauvin trial since it started weeks ago, and from that they cover the police and black men relations over the past few weeks, and then go into mass shootings over the past week or so. HT have not been enjoyable the past month.
"

Thank you so much for circling back on topic. The View also talked a lot about the Bachelor and mommy issues this week. They had time. The original article refers back to Whoopi. And she is definitely a informed theater community participant. No way she is not aware of the Hollywood Reporter article. These big names are being called on to speak out. She has the platform.

SouthernCakes
#24Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/18/21 at 1:16pm

Maybe she doesn’t know what to say? I mean, I’m with everyone on here that is like “damn” because he produces all the shows I want to do! Laurie Metcalf, my fav stage actress, has certainly benefited from him, but I don’t expect everyone ever to say something? Maybe they weren’t aware or he was always kind to them so they feel conflicted in what to possibly say?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#25Whoopi- Scott Rudin- The View
Posted: 4/18/21 at 2:04pm

SouthernCakes said: "Maybe she doesn’t know what to say? I mean, I’m with everyone on here that is like “damn” because he produces all the shows I want to do! Laurie Metcalf, my fav stage actress, has certainly benefited from him, but I don’t expect everyone ever to say something? Maybe they weren’t aware or he was always kind to them so they feel conflicted in what to possibly say?"

Oh I am sure.  Not a easy thing to talk about.  Still.. they talk about this kind of stuff all the time.  So I would hope she would rise to the occasion.  Megan Went to town on Chris Cuomo a few weeks ago because he won’t cover his brothers drama on his show.  I am just saying that in the style of the show it could be hypocritical if she doesn’t address it.