pixeltracker

Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column- Page 3

Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#50Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 7:38am

I can't believe we've just gone through the year we've gone through and some people are defending a blatantly pro-status quo column.

Yes, it is all sleight of hand culture war from the NY Post, meant to stir the pot and kick up grievances for those who felt uncomfortable hearing speeches about justice, or awards for activists. It's a "non all white people" column.

There is still white supremacy all over our industry. Period.

PS Slave Play not winning is more the reality of how different the nominating and voter pools are for the Tonys and they've been that way for awhile. And many didn't like Slave Play. Many didn't like Inheritance either, but now we're back to the fact that it was half a season.

BWAY Baby2
#51Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:38am

BWAY Baby2 said: "It was a great musical- PERIOD!"

I don’t understand why the concept of representation seems to be a personal affront to you. 

I very much support the concept of representation, But, awards shows are supposed to award quality. No other concept should get in the way, IMO. When it becomes more important what color someone was who wrote a play or libretto- or what their sexual orientation is- then something is out of balance. There is sufficient awareness of the need for diversity in this era- but that does not mean that every production and awards show has to be seen primarily though the lens of racial and sexual parity. And that is what is happening so often. And I do to support that. When lots of white actors won the Emmy Awards- there was a lot of comment about Emmys So White. However, Emmys So Black or Emmys So Diverse would be just as detestable to me. Seems like every award, every  production is seen as a political statement rather than an artistic one.

BWAY Baby2
#52Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:43am

And yes- I am liberal- very much so- but not obsessed with every production reflecting diversity- some productions do not have to- and there is room for many with diverse casts and stories. And not every production needs to be commented upon by the diversity police to ensure that a political agenda is being adhered to.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#53Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 11:42am

BWAY Baby2 said: "And yes- I am liberal- very much so- but not obsessed with every production reflecting diversity- some productions do not have to- and there is room for many with diverse casts and stories. And not every production needs to be commented upon by the diversity police to ensure that a political agenda is being adhered to."

I said this earlier but it is worth repeating... 

This thread seems to take its eye off the ball and head off in non-sequiturs. Let's start at the beginning: what Riedel wrote (in essence that there was an reactionary agenda based on producers being "annoyed" and that's why Slave Play lost) is BS. It fits, of course, in his own right wing mindset that is, of course, the bidding he is called upon to do by his gross employer. We need to be mindful of diversity in everything we do, starting with the shows we produce and the people who create them. We aspire to a day when it will be second nature but make no mistake it is a red flag to focus on "diversity police" as a pejorative. I suggest it is unfortunate you chose that expression. Of course not all productions need diverse casts any more than all productions need white casts but we do not divest ourselves of centuries of systemic racism by flipping a switch; getting there requires learning and learning requires guidance and no, that guidance is not always going to be gentle. But none of this has anything to do with calling out Riedel for the bizarre (was he drunk?) nonsense he published i that article.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#54Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 12:30pm

Re FUN HOME’s “diversity”— 

Just to clarify and remind: It was a musical written by two women (both won Tonys for their work), the librettist and lyric writer is a gay woman, it’s about a gay woman coming to terms with the life of her closeted, self-hating gay father and his apparent suicide, and coming of age as a proud lesbian herself. If that’s not a landmark LGBTQ musical,  and a landmark for female authors in the theatre, I don’t know what is. 

And Hogan, was Riedel drunk is like asking if the Pope’s Catholic. 😉

tomwsjr
#55Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:01pm

Why are we still talking about Michael Riedel? Broadway is done with him, let him stick to promoting Trumponian politics on the radio!!!!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#56Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:18pm

tomwsjr said: "Why are we still talking about Michael Riedel? Broadway is done with him, let him stick to promoting Trumponian politics on the radio!!!!"

he wrote a morning after column that's the subject of this thread. There is no rest so long as misinformation is rampant. 

And to all those questioning my question about Riedel's sobriety, it was a rhetorical question... Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#57Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:22pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "It was a great musical- PERIOD!"

I don’t understandwhy the concept of representation seems to be a personal affront to you.

I very much support the concept of representation, But, awards shows are supposed to award quality. No other concept should get in the way, IMO. When it becomes more important what color someone was who wrote a play or libretto- or what their sexual orientation is- then something is out of balance. There is sufficient awareness of the need for diversity in this era- but that does not mean that every production and awards show has to be seen primarily though the lens of racial and sexual parity. And that is what is happening so often. And I do to support that. When lots of white actors won the Emmy Awards- there was a lot of comment about Emmys So White. However,Emmys So Black or Emmys So Diverse would be just as detestable to me. Seems like every award, every production is seen as a political statement rather than an artistic one.
"

Amen.  

It's all about skin color and not about the content of character.

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

SouthernCakes
#58Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:37pm

I agree with that. Let’s award quality. And let’s let actors act.

chanel
#59Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:58pm

Didn't Riedel predict a huge night for Jagged Little Pill? His predictions are notoriously bad, so I don't think he's as plugged into the votership as some might think. I think The Inheritance won because it's a better play and, with Lopez pointing out in his speech that he's the first Latinx playwright to win (not to mention that it's a play about gays, including a potent black character), it's also diversity! As for Slave Play having gotten the most nominations ever for a drama, that's primarily because it was basically half a season. In a full season, it--and The Inheritance--would have gotten significantly fewer noms. All that being said, there IS racism on Broadway, of course. They've proven it by coming up with way more black shows this season than usual, under pressure to be "woke"--just like Vogue magazine suddenly realized they should feature a lot of black people. 

SouthernCakes
#60Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/28/21 at 11:03pm

Solid point. And maybe that’s my stand-off-ish-ness with all the shows opening. Happy for them. But it does all feel forced and presentational.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#61Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/29/21 at 12:34am

Riedel trains with someone at my gym. The transformation has been incredible. It is like Clark Kent and Superman.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#62Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/29/21 at 10:04am

tomwsjr said: "Why are we still talking about Michael Riedel? Broadway is done with him, let him stick to promoting Trumponian politics on the radio!!!!"

yes

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#63Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/29/21 at 10:09am

jv92 said: "Riedel...has no regard for Broadway or theatre beyond $$$ and “scandal."

Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#64Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/29/21 at 10:11am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Slave Play is a much inferior play to The Inheritance, which imho is dragged out and overly melodramatic when we had plays like The Sound Inside, where the playwright actually knows what they are doing. Slave Play is simply dramaturgically unpolished, provocative in an interesting way but inherently superficial. It would be an insult if it actually won, which I am glad it did not."

Having seen all three of the nominees, I thought The Sound Inside to be a complete bore. I thoroughly enjoyed both Slave Play and The Inheritance and would've been quite happy to see either win.

SFFrontRow
#65Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/29/21 at 4:27pm

So, is the general thinking that Slave Play somehow lost Best Play because of racism? I guess that view would hold more weight if the Best Play winner Inheritance wasn't written by a gay Latino.

And although I don't like Riedel, I thought this article was pretty truthful. IMHO, Broadway has always been more inclusive than some of the other arts (film and TV mostly as the music industry is even more diverse). And as for the Tony Awards, much more diverse than the Oscars or Emmys (and again all hold a backseat to the Grammys).

More recently, theater seems to have embraced "color blind" casting in many productions to the benefit of us all.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#66Michael Riedel's unhinged post-Tonys column
Posted: 9/29/21 at 5:09pm

Considering he's written two well-regarded books on the theater, I doubt Broadway is "done" with him. Believe it or not, politics doesn't entirely determine worth. Someone can be mind-bogglingly wrong about politics and insightful, or simply correct, on other issues.