Line from Joanne’s Monologue

MusicalJunkie3
#1Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/7/22 at 5:34am

I have been trying to remember a certain line from Joanne’s monologue in the club scene. I’m paraphrasing, but she essentially says that “the world is made for the young and for the rich, and if you aren’t one you damn well better have plenty of the other.” I’ve looked at the original scripts and cannot find it; they seem to have added the line to this version.

Does anyone have the exact line? I would be very appreciative of any information or even better, the correct quote itself. Thanks!

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#2Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/7/22 at 5:50am

"This whole country is about young. And it's about money. And if you ain't got one you sure better have the other"

Updated On: 1/7/22 at 05:50 AM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/7/22 at 9:12am

imeldasturn said: ""This whole country is about young. And it's about money. And if you ain't got one you sure better have the other""

STOP STARING

Oh look, a bibu!

MusicalJunkie3
#4Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/7/22 at 5:22pm

imeldasturn said: ""This whole country is about young. And it's about money. And if you ain't got one you sure better have the other""

That’s it! Thank you! 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#5Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/7/22 at 5:26pm

Honestly- that entire segment with her is poignant and brilliant

but is just so depressing haha

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#6Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/19/22 at 12:39am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "Honestly- that entire segment with her is poignant and brilliant

but is just so depressing haha
"

Which makes it perfect for Patti

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/19/22 at 2:11am

If/when they do another cast recording I really hope they record all the dialogue in this scene!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#8Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/19/22 at 10:17am

binau said: "If/when they do another cast recording I really hope they record all the dialogue in this scene!"

This, and hopefully the upcoming documentary will feature extensive show footage.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#9Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/19/22 at 8:16pm

everythingtaboo said: "binau said: "If/when they do another cast recording I really hope they record all the dialogue in this scene!"

This, and hopefully the upcoming documentary will feature extensive show footage.
"

there is an upcoming documentary? really? cool... any more info?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/19/22 at 8:49pm

wiggum2 said: "everythingtaboo said: "binau said: "If/when they do another cast recording I really hope they record all the dialogue in this scene!"

"

"

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1127444

Oh look, a bibu!

StylishCynic
#11Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/20/22 at 12:33am

The OP is correct in saying that this specific line isn’t in the original book. I, too, returned to the published book + libretto after the London production to find that it wasn’t there.

I recall reading in an interview with Sondheim that every book revision for the 2018 revival was painstakingly done by only using words from George Furth’s plays. I’ve wondered from where this specific line was borrowed.

There’s a chance the line is from the original Furth vignettes on which Company is based —therefore being unpublished materials from his estate. If that’s the case, then what a lovey, full-circle moment.  

Updated On: 1/20/22 at 12:33 AM

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#12Line from Joanne’s Monologue
Posted: 1/20/22 at 5:31am

EDSOSLO858 said: "wiggum2 said: "everythingtaboo said: "binau said: "If/when they do another cast recording I really hope they record all the dialogue in this scene!"

"

"

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1127444
"

thank you very much... not sure how I missed that!