pixeltracker

Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance- Page 2

Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 7/20/22 at 1:07am

quizking101 said: "Nice to see Shively and Stampley land on their feet so quickly after the crap show of Paradise Square. Makes me think they either knew the show was closing or were going to bail off the sinking ship soon"

They're not stupid (and neither are their agents), they can see the writing on the wall even if it hadn't been announced to them yet. It would be shocking and unprofessional for any agent to advise their client that a show like PARADISE SQUARE might have still been running by the time rehearsals for this begin in September. And, money aside, a John Doyle revival can be a good career move that could lead to other things.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#26Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 7/20/22 at 8:20am

I think it’s not so much that he’s “playing Sheldon.” It’s more that after two or three seasons, Parsons and the Big Bang Theory turned down his “severe, austere autistic robot” portrayal from the show’s initial run. Instead, Parsons gradually substituted more and more of his own eccentric affect, which is the point when Sheldon became a beloved character, not just an ensemble player.

”Fey Jimmy Stewart from outer space” is just who Parsons IS, or at least defaults to when in performance mode. He did an interview on Conan or Jimmy Fallon about his early days in theatre, where he got cast in a role written to be played with a South African affect, simply because his affect was unusual enough that they took him anyway.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#27Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 7/20/22 at 8:28am

The role is very different from Sheldon. If anything, he’ll have an Irish accent. 

The cast is shaping up to be excellent, but I do wish we knew which roles they’re playing. If I had to guess, I’d say AJ Shively will play Steven Pasquale’s role, Thom Sesma will sing “The Cuddles Mary Gave,” and Joel Waggoner will play a fiddle at some point.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#28Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 7/20/22 at 12:53pm

darquegk said: "I think it’s not so much that he’s “playing Sheldon.” It’s more that after two or three seasons, Parsons and the Big Bang Theory turned down his “severe, austere autistic robot” portrayal from the show’s initial run. Instead, Parsons gradually substituted more and more of his own eccentric affect, which is the point when Sheldon became a beloved character, not just an ensemble player.

”Fey Jimmy Stewart from outer space” is just who Parsons IS, or at least defaults to when in performance mode. He did an interview on Conan or Jimmy Fallon about his early days in theatre, where he got cast in a role written to be played with a South African affect, simply because his affect was unusual enough that they took him anyway.
"

Point taken, but it still means he plays every role (with the exception of the early seasons Sheldon) exactly the same way. And to me, it's boring. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#29Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 7/22/22 at 12:30pm

I look forward to this. If this moved to Broadway, would it be considered a new musical or a revival the way Hedwig was?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#30Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 7/22/22 at 12:37pm

pethian said: "I look forward to this. If this moved to Broadway, would it be considered a new musical or a revival the way Hedwig was?"

Revival. There's no question of that. 

meaghan416
#31Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 10/8/22 at 11:59am

I have 1 ticket for next Saturday night, 10/15, I’m looking to sell. Front Row, Center (200s). Face Value $87. It’s a digital ticket, so I can send it. I just can’t make it to the city next weekend anymore.

Updated On: 10/8/22 at 11:59 AM

VintageSnarker
#32Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 10/8/22 at 7:18pm

The seat map looks similar to Assassins and other recent shows. Based on other productions, is it necessary to sit in the 200s or do the actors sometimes play to the sides as well? And how are the $85 seats on the extreme sides compared to the premium seats?

chrishuyen
#33Jim Parsons to Star in Off-Broadway Revival of A Man of No Importance
Posted: 10/8/22 at 8:54pm

I believe that's just the shape of that theater. I prefer to sit in the "corners" of the theater and a few rows up. In the past few shows they definitely played to all sides and I think being a bit higher helps to prevent the actors from being blocked by each other