News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 15

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#350& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 10:03am

It will probably win very few. But that doesn't mean it's not a great show!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#351& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 10:21am

hearthemsing22 said: "With the awards season coming to an end with the Tonys next Sunday, and given what the show has/has not won, I couldn't help but wonder...did I give the show too much credit? Could it not win many awards on June 11th?"

Every category is pretty much stacked, with 38 productions (plays and musicals) being considered and 11 being shut out entirely. The fact that it got 9 nominations does say a lot about how the nominators liked it - but the voting body is entirely different.

Considering &J's categories:

Best Musical: Some Like It Hot and Kimberly Akimbo are the ones duking it out for the top prize  - the chance of winning is minimal.

Best Leading Actress/Musical: Lorna should be happy to be nominated considering there were 16 leading actresses to be considered for the 5 slots, but a stronger case could be made for any of the other 4 nominess (Clark, Diamond, Bareilles, and Ashford)

Best Featured Actress/Musical: Odds are better here, but it's going to be an uphill battle against Bonnie Milligan, who has all the momentum.

Best Book/Musical: I think this one is Shucked's to lose, though the runner-up could be a toss between this and Kimberly Akimbo

Best Costume Design: Six nominees and wildly varied styles at that. Too hard to tell, but I think Some Like It Hot or even KPOP have a leg up.

Best Lighting Design: Again, six nominees and mileage may vary. I love &J's lighting design, but who knows?

Best Sound Design: I feel like a case could be made for a win here, though it's hard to tell.

Best Choreography: Jennifer Weber is already up against herself for the far superior KPOP and if she isn't the winner, I could see it going to SLIH or NY, NY

Best Orchestrations: SLIH has this down. Charlie Rosen is a darling in this category and you can never count out a Marc Shaiman score.

Overall: Too many unpredictable factors with one category where the odds are best (Featured Actress/Musical). If anything, I forsee maybe a tech nod or two but nothing in the big categories..

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

mshalo18
#352& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 10:55am

hearthemsing22 said: "With the awards season coming to an end with the Tonys next Sunday, and given what the show has/has not won, I couldn't help but wonder...did I give the show too much credit? Could it not win many awards on June 11th?"

I think their best chances are with sound design, and possibly Betsy Wolfe- she truly is the heart and soul of the show. But then again, there's Bonnie Milligan, so I have no idea how this is going to go.

hearthemsing22
#353& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 10:57am

dwwst12 said: "It will probably win very few. But that doesn't mean it's not a great show!"

My comment is absolutely NO reflection on how good the show is, because I love it so much. I've seen it the most out of any new musical this season. Trust me, I love it! But the competition is STRONG. So I was just curious. 

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#354& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 11:03am

hearthemsing22 said: "My comment is absolutely NO reflection on how good the show is, because I love it so much. I've seen it the most out of any new musical this season. Trust me, I love it! But the competition is STRONG. So I was just curious."

Oh yeah, didn't mean to imply that! I second your thoughts completely.

I'm in the minority, I realize, but I loved both & Juliet and Shucked far more than KA... so if KA sweeps on Tony night it'll be a little disappointing/dull for me. Not that that show isn't a fine effort by all involved, it just didn't work for me. Which is weird, because I'm a Next to Normal and Dear Evan Hansen guy...so it should've landed squarely in my wheelhouse!

chrishuyen
#355& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 11:13am

dwwst12 said: "I'm in the minority, I realize, but I loved both & Juliet and Shucked far more than KA... so if KA sweeps on Tony night it'll be a little disappointing/dull for me. Not that that show isn't a fine effort by all involved, it just didn't work for me. Which is weird, because I'm a Next to Normal and Dear Evan Hansen guy...so it should've landed squarely in my wheelhouse!"

Oh I agree completely.  I enjoyed both & Juliet and Shucked more and I've been trying to figure out why because on paper Kimberly has everything that I usually like, but I think it has tonal issues that prevent me from getting as invested in the plot (though I'm happy it works for other people!).

That being said, I do think sound design is Juliet's best chance at a win here.  I'm personally rooting for Betsy Wolfe over Bonnie Milligan for the win, though I think Bonnie Milligan is deserving as well.  This show would also be my pick for costumes but I'm not sure it actually has a great shot at it.  

hearthemsing22
#356& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 11:51am

chrishuyen said: "dwwst12 said: "I'm in the minority, I realize, but I loved both & Juliet and Shucked far more than KA... so if KA sweeps on Tony night it'll be a little disappointing/dull for me. Not that that show isn't a fine effort by all involved, it just didn't work for me. Which is weird, because I'm a Next to Normal and Dear Evan Hansen guy...so it should've landed squarely in my wheelhouse!"

Oh I agree completely. I enjoyed both & Juliet and Shucked more and I've been trying to figure out why because on paper Kimberly has everything that I usually like, but I think it has tonal issues that prevent me from getting as invested in the plot (though I'm happy it works for other people!).

That being said, I do think sound design is Juliet's best chance at a win here. I'm personally rooting for Betsy Wolfe over Bonnie Milligan for the win, though I think Bonnie Milligan is deserving as well. This show would also be my pick for costumes but I'm not sure it actually has a great shot at it.
"

I agree with both of you. Given the choice of what to see again, I'd go with &Juliet and Shucked before KA. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#357& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/30/23 at 6:32pm

The company performing “Since U Been Gone” and “CAN’T STOP THE FEELING!” on GMA:

Betsy Wolfe and Lorna Courtney performing “That’s the Way It Is” on GMA3:

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#358& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:07pm

Cast members will perform on The View tomorrow morning.

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#359& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/6/23 at 3:09pm

Lorna Courtney - with the & Juliet orchestra - performing “…Baby One More Time” on The View:

Oh look, a bibu!

bananamilk
#360& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/11/23 at 12:45am

Am I losing it or was Lorna sharp for that entire performance?! None of the comments on the youtube video mention this so I can't tell if it's just me being crazy 😭 

trpguyy
#361& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/11/23 at 7:18am

I think you may in fact be losing it. 

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#362& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/11/23 at 8:42am

bananamilk said: "Am I losing it or was Lorna sharp for that entire performance?! None of the comments on the youtube video mention this so I can't tell if it's just me being crazy 😭"

Oh you are definitely correct. It was very painful at the end. Really, no YouTube commenters mention it? 

mshalo18
#363& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/11/23 at 4:44pm

Several people commented on the YouTube video about Lorna's pitchiness. Unfortunately, all of her TV appearances have been very underwhelming.

hearthemsing22
#364& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/12/23 at 10:53am

mshalo18 said: "Several people commented on the YouTube video about Lorna's pitchiness. Unfortunately, all of her TV appearances have been very underwhelming."

Which is fascinating because she blows the roof off the theater when you're seeing the show in person! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#365& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/12/23 at 11:24pm

Just had to say Lorna sounded better tonight than I’ve EVER heard her. Phenomenal. 

If anyone else was there tonight - did you notice what cracked Betsy & Stark up so much during “I Want It That Way” at the beginning? They couldn’t even sing they were laughing and I guess I completely missed it.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#366& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/12/23 at 11:38pm

Rachel will be on for Juliet from July 18-28, and the matinee on the 29th.

Also, Philippe is returning from injury on the 25th.

Oh look, a bibu!

ElephantLoveMedley
swright1031
#368& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/25/23 at 1:04pm

Looking for some seating advice. I’m torn between the last 2 seats on the right in row K (K18 and K20) in the orchestra and seats E14 and E16 in the mezzanine. I have seen the show before and ideally would like to be  a little closer but I’m going with a friend who hasn’t and I am worried that the orchestra seats won’t offer a full view. Thanks in advance for your help!

Musigamist
#369& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/25/23 at 3:16pm

A friend and I sat in Orchestra J 13-15 which is the farthest seats house left (although K goes two seats further) and we had a great view. I seem to remember there being more action on house right than left, which you might miss from that angle though. But if you’re choosing between side mezz and side orchestra—go orchestra. The sound is extra loud and clear from those areas due to the speakers as well, so the environment is definitely more energetic than the mezz (and you can grab some confetti as a souvenir if you want).

GottaGetAGimmick420
#370& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/25/23 at 4:35pm

I have to share my ideal Dreamcast replacement: Jasmine Fosberg Juliet .

I'm just here so I don't get fined
Updated On: 12/25/23 at 04:35 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#371& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/25/23 at 6:53pm

GottaGetAGimmick420 said: "I have to share my ideal Dreamcast replacement: Jasmine Fosberg Juliet ."

I’d love to see Juliet and Romeo played by two people actually dating IRL someday, but I’m not sure if Jasmine’s boyfriend can pull off Romeo. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 12/25/23 at 06:53 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#372& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/29/23 at 5:23pm

Ahead of Melanie La Barrie’s final performance tomorrow night, Lorna and MTL recently surprised her with a heartfelt video duet of “F**kin’ Perfect”:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1ciTaquq-h/?igsh=MWZjcnU4cm5raWFmZg==

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#373& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/30/23 at 12:54pm

Is anyone attending Melanie’s final performance tonight?

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#374& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:17pm

Charity Angél Dawson’s Angelique debut was this afternoon.

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos