Favorite Merrily Recording?

teatime2
#1Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 1:03pm

Merrily We Roll Along is my favorite show, and I've always been so curious as to what everyone's preferred album of the show is. The original is my favorite, I just wish the transitions were split up from other tracks. The full Haymarket album is finally on Spotify and it's a close second. Other opinions?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 1:04pm

The original. After that it’s the City Center recording with Lin and Celia.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#3Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 1:29pm

I also prefer the original. I feel like all the recordings since then have sounded kind of sterile. The original has a real raw, energetic passion to it, I think. In Our Time, you really feel that youthful sense of hope.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 2:09pm

TotallyEffed said: "The original. After that it’s the City Center recording with Lin and Celia."

Agreed. Tunick’s expanded orchestrations for Encores! are delightful. 

spicemonkey
#5Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 2:22pm

i also love this show, it has made me cry so many times. As for the recordings, my fav one keeps changing which I don’t know why.

Recently I listen to the York Theatre off broadway recording most of the time. But for Opening Doors and Our Time, there has been no better versions than the ones from the OBC recording, IMHO 

Updated On: 9/1/22 at 02:22 PM

¿Macavity?
#6Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 2:36pm

My favourite is the Leicester/Haymarket recording. Nice cast, great orchestra, and I really like the open sound of it. A big highlight is the orchestrations in "Now You Know" with the whole: "What's your choice, count to ten..." love that bit. 

Second is the OBC - fascinating, and as said above by another, "Our Time" really shines.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#7Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 2:50pm

I listen to the Encores revival recording most often. For me, it’s the recording that best captures the entire show.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#8Favorite Merrily Recording?
Posted: 9/1/22 at 3:50pm

It has to be the OBC, all of the others have an almost clinical sound that hampers the score. The excitement, for me, really comes from the vibrant and slightly imprecise passion, which makes it feel larger-than-life in the same way that everything does when you're an adolescent - aided, of course, by the booming atmosphere of Thomas Z Shepard's audio production. A Chorus Line's 2006 revival recording had the same problem, where it went from this wild, vital sign of the times to a squeaky clean, impersonally professional period piece.