A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - Reviews & News Thread

Globefan
#325A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 10:15am

Amber keeps hopping from show to show so quickly 

BorisTomashevsky
#326A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 10:41am

Casting choices are making less and less sense these days. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#327A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 10:43am

It's official. Amber will begin January 2. Becky Gulsvig will be Marcia Dec. 19-31.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#328A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 11:10am

Well, alright. Who's got a shoe for me to eat?

I could name some ensemble people in demand to hop show to show, but none as quick in engagements as Amber in this day and age. No idea if that's good or bad. Oh well.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#329A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 11:30am

Is the show still in a demand ? I pictured it closing after January. Seems she made the wrong choice, but whatever makes her happy

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#330A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 11:35am

WldKingdomHM said: "Is the show still in a demand ? I pictured it closing after January. Seems she made the wrong choice, but whatever makes her happy"

Whatever feeds her happy wolf.

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#331A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 11:47am

WldKingdomHM said: "Is the show still in a demand ? I pictured it closing after January. Seems she made the wrong choice, but whatever makes her happy"

Their advance for the Winter isn't pretty. Maybe the producers try a keep it afloat into the Spring with the hope of stronger sales? Otherwise, I think this closes sometime in February.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BETTY22
#332A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/5/23 at 11:50am

Sunset creative team was looking at the theatre last week. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#333A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/16/23 at 8:13pm

Nick Fradiani was out the Wednesday matinee and today's matinee. He posted on his IG earlier in the week he's been dealing with a cold for a month now. Is it his lack of theater experience and being able to handle 8/shows a week? Does Max Sangerman become the alternate soon(i haven't heard Max is leaving, but the majority of the ensemble is)?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#334A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/17/23 at 12:20pm

Rush tickets obtained for Robyn's last performance!!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#335A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/17/23 at 2:42pm

ACL2006 said: "Nick Fradiani was out the Wednesday matinee and today's matinee. He posted on his IG earlier in the week he's been dealing with a cold for a month now. Is it his lack of theater experience and being able to handle 8/shows a week? Does Max Sangerman become the alternate soon(i haven't heard Max is leaving, but the majority of the ensemble is)?

"

Nick is out again for today's show.

EDIT TO ADD: Nick only performed Tuesday evening and the Thursday matinee this week. Max performed the role 6 times this week.

Updated On: 12/17/23 at 02:42 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#336A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 3:04am

Saw this tonight.  Nick sounds like Neil, but he doesn’t have the swagger and charisma. I zoned out after an hour.  Betsy Gulsvig is competent. Again - the star power is missing.  If you expect the show to run, you need much better casting because the show itself is pretty thin. 

Updated On: 12/24/23 at 03:04 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#337A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 12:11pm

Skip23 said: "Saw this tonight. Nick sounds like Neil, but he doesn’t have the swagger and charisma. I zoned out after an hour. Betsy Gulsvag is competent. Again - the star power is missing. If you expect the show to run, you need much better casting because the show itself is pretty thin."

I don't see them casting a big name for this and replacing Nick. Nick is their "name" that they're using to try and get through the Winter. Becky Gulsvig (not Betsy Gulsvag) is Marcia for these two weeks between Robyn leaving and Amber taking over on January 2. It's run for a year now and their weekly operating costs aren't that high. We'll see if they're able to survive the Winter. Regardless, I see this touring very well and will probably run for several years on the road.

RWPrincess
#338A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 4:55pm

I haven't seen Nick aside from what's posted on social media and tv performances but this was my concern about him as well. I have no doubt he can do the voice but was concerned about the acting abilities. That said, if they announce closing, I will buy a ticket to see him and the show one last time.

As for him being sick, I had posted a while back about whether he'd be able to do the 8 shows a week. It's a very physically and vocally demanding role with having to do that voice for 23 songs per show. Will used to talk about that in interviews. There's no shame in Nick having an alternate 1-2 shows a week.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#339A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/24/23 at 5:42pm

If they're coming close to announcing a closing date, they aren't going to hire an alternate now.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#340A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 12/27/23 at 3:00pm

Max Sangerman will be on as Neil-Then in tomorrow evening's performance.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#341A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:11am

The show is offering 2 tickets for $50 for this week only if you mention "Amber" at the box office.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#342A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/2/24 at 10:26am

She needs to play Roxie on Broadway. She IS Roxie

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#343A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/8/24 at 10:38am

Has anyone here seen this with Amber Ardolino yet? How is she? I'm going again this weekend (taking my parents!), and I'm very much looking forward to seeing both her and Nick Fradiani. I really enjoyed the show both times I saw it previously with Will Swenson and Robyn Hurder and I am excited to see a set of new leads!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#344A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:15pm

She pairs well with Nick due to them being closer in age than Nick & Robyn. Vocally, not as strong as Robyn. Her first week promo seemed to help boost sales. Curious about this week though as it looks a little bleek despite the holiday weekend. I'd fully expect them to be participating in Broadway week.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#345A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/11/24 at 2:23pm

Becky Gulsvig is taking over the role of Jaye as Jessie Fisher has left this week. Supposed to be until March 17, so Jessie would come back if the show doesn't close by then.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#346A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/13/24 at 8:21am

It was super interesting to see this with a mainly new cast. The show remains a full-throttled adrenaline-filled good time even if Nick Fradniani and Amber Ardolino don't quite have the same bite and and fierceness as Will Swenson and Robyn Hurder. 

Nick Fradiani doesn't quite have the same swagger and charisma that Will Swenson brought to the role that made his portrayal as Neil (Then) so authentic. Fradiani is a bit more awkward and gangly with his approach. Not bad at all by any means, his vocals are tremendous, but just different. Amber Ardolino's Marcia reads as much younger than Robyn Hurder's, but she more than holds her own. "Forever In Blue Jeans" remains a showstopper. I MUCH preferred Becky Gulsvig as Jaye to Jessie Fisher. Mark Jacoby is still giving a top notch performance as Neil (Now).

This was my third (and probably last time) seeing this show. As far as bio musicals go, this one is one of the more enjoyable ones in recent memory in my opinion. Based on the maybe half full (at best) mezzanine on a Friday night, I think a closing announcement is probably imminent. I think this will be EXTREMELY well on tour, though. Just a fun night in the theatre. Definitely worth seeing while you still can if you haven't yet!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#347A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/14/24 at 10:03am

Thanks for your review. When I saw the show for Robyn's last performance, I was seated around fans of the show. Afterwards, since we saw Max Sangerman as Neil-Then, we all agreed that Nick sounds almost exactly like Neil Diamond the most. Will, of course, had the better acting while Max sung the role the best(but didn't sound like Neil due to his high range) and looks too young. Nick just did a TV spot on a NY show recently. And the Broadway week promos seem to be selling well. The test then becomes after Feb. 4.

They're still falling back on their four matinee schedule. So if the matinees are selling at 80%-95% capacity while the other shows are at 40%-60%, they could still break even. But this will be a struggle the next few months to stay open. I do wonder if the show closes in April or May if Nick will do the tour? That would give him a solid break over the summer and the ability to promote his own work.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#348A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/17/24 at 3:23pm

Nick and Amber production photos in ABN

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#349A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/2/24 at 1:49pm

Just learned that original castmember Jordan Dobson rejoined the company in November, this time in a different track as a swing, after leaving to star in Bad Cinderella. (He also has a not-insignificant scene in MAESTRO)

https://playbill.com/article/jordan-dobson-on-the-challenges-and-rewards-of-being-a-swing-on-broadway

Updated On: 2/2/24 at 01:49 PM