pixeltracker

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - Reviews & News Thread- Page 8

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - Reviews & News Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#175A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/18/23 at 10:30pm

Turns out Neil reached out for 2 hours and 15 minutes, and it touched me, somehow. I liked this better than I thought I would, given the reviews. No understudies, and Sonny Paladino conducted. 

Will Swenson gives a restrained performance but knows when and how to let loose. I suppose the same could be said of tonight's audience. Respectful, and singing and clapping along AT THE RIGHT MOMENTS. They even clapped to the final chorus of "Holly Holy" at the end of the show.

Those last 15 minutes make for one of the best extended sequences I've seen in a jukebox musical in some time. It gives Mark Jacoby an outsider's chance at a Best Leading Actor in a Musical slot. Stunning book work (credit Anthony McCarten here too), and when he finally opens up with "I Am... I Said" and sings with Swenson, it felt very heartwarming. 

Robyn Hurder was dynamite, and I'm so glad I finally got to see her in a show!

HOLY SH*T THAT ENSEMBLE. Jordan Dobson may have ditched 'em for Belleville, but they are as pitch-perfect as can be (which I also said on the cast album thread for this show). I also love the racial and body diversity on display. I'm sure Paladino and AnnMarie Milazzo had a field day creating the stunning vocal lines and orchestral arrangements throughout the performance. WOW.

McCarten's book is just fine, nothing to write home about until those final 15. Does anyone else think the Streisand reference in Act Two is intentional, as director Michael Mayer also helmed Funny Girl?

I liked Steven Hoggett's choreography, though it is a bit questionable from time to time. Creepy in particular during "Hands... touching hands...". The ensemble leaning in to hear Diamond sing at the Bitter End is a better gesture.

Stage door tonight wasn't a big mob. Only Hurder signed everyone's Playbills. No sight of Swenson or Jacoby. MiMi Scardulla was also nice enough to sign my Playbill.

Swenson delivered the BC/EFA appeal. Signed posters for $100, signed Playbills for $40.

I don't know how long this will last in NYC, and how many Tony noms it gets (if any) on the 2nd, but I think this should (and probably will) be a hit on tour. 

Okay. Okay. Okay.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/18/23 at 10:30 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#176A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/19/23 at 12:36pm

Diamond and Streisand wrote "You Don't bring me Flowers" together.

As for Tony nominations, Hurder's a longshot due to the crowded field. Jacoby should get a nomination (over Swenson). I'd say their choreography should also land a Tony nomination. I've heard people complain about the audiences here, but I've seen it three times so far and never had an issue.

Yes, this ensemble is working their butts off! And that last fifteen minutes or so of the show are fantastic. From America to Shiloh to I Am...I Said to the Finale. Seeing it again with a small group on May 6.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

estewart2
#177A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/3/23 at 5:28pm

Does anyone know if the show is offering rush tickets? 

BETTY22
#178A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/3/23 at 6:03pm

This show has been the breakout hit of the season.

Roșie O'Donnell was spotted in the audience last week - she said she loved it 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#179A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/3/23 at 7:07pm

estewart2 said: "Does anyone know if the show is offering rush tickets?"

they have their online lottery at https://rush.telecharge.com/

They usually have rush tickets available the day of performances for $45 at the box office.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#180A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/3/23 at 7:08pm

BETTY22 said: "This show has been the breakout hit of the season.

Roșie O'Donnell was spotted in the audience last week - she said she loved it
"

Here's Rosie's rave about the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iB5qiI3h2s

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#181A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/27/23 at 10:18am

Kudos to the cast for their 3 Chita Rivera Awards. Best Choreography, Robyn Hurder & Jess LeProtto.

Chita Rivera Award winners

JSquared2
#182A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/27/23 at 5:45pm

ACL2006 said: "Kudos to the cast for their 3 Chita Rivera Awards. Best Choreography, Robyn Hurder & Jess LeProtto.

"

The fact that Beautiful Noise won out over shows like SLIH, NY NY and DANCIN' is just baffling --- and makes one doubt the entire credibility of the Chita Rivera Awards. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#183A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/7/23 at 12:40pm

A Beautiful Noise just released a new block of tickets and are now on sale through June 2024. Their advance for the summer looks solid. Their new schedule also starts in September with their Thursday matinees that appear to be selling well, too. Don't think this show is going away anytime soon.

BETTY22
#184A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/7/23 at 2:49pm

This show has been one of the few hits this season.

Never underestimate the power of performers like Neil. Congrats. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#185A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/7/23 at 5:18pm

For all of 2023 so far, the weekly breakdown of grosses is a follows:

Over $1 million: 12 weeks

Over $900K: 3 weeks

Over $800K: 7 weeks

Over $700K: 1 week

It's been reported their weekly nut is about $800k. If they get back near $1 million for the summer, they'll be holding steady into the Fall.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#186A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/15/23 at 5:41pm

Not sure if Will or Nick were on Tuesday eveing, but Nick Fradiani was on yesterday and is on again tonight. Will is reportedly having vocal issues.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#187A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/15/23 at 5:44pm

I caught this for a second time this past weekend (took my mom), and loved it just as much the second time as I did the first time. It's such a high energy and fun show. Sure, the choreography is pretty damn weird, but other than that, I think the show is just a blast. Robyn Hurder performing "Forever In Blue Jeans" is a showstopper - she is the definition of a true triple threat. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#188A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/16/23 at 12:13am

ACL2006 said: "Diamond and Streisand wrote "You Don't bring me Flowers" together.”

NOT TRUE AT ALL . Diamond wrote the song with The Bergmans, originally for a Norman Lear sitcom in the mid-70s. Lear never used the song, so Diamond added more verses and created a love song.  Streisand first recorded it as a solo in 1978 but had nothing to do with writing it.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#189A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/16/23 at 12:00pm

Anybody sit in Orchestra, Row A 1,3, and 5?  Just curious, how they were.  They are all sold as full view so there should not be any obstructions.

Thank you.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#190A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/16/23 at 12:27pm

Marway44 said: "Anybody sit in Orchestra, Row A 1,3, and 5? Just curious, how they were. They are all sold as full view so there should not be any obstructions.

Thank you.
"

They're okay seats. I sat there the first time I saw the show as they had them cheaper during previews. There is about 10 minutes in Act 1 where your view is slightly blocked due to a set piece being placed there. Otherwise you're right up to the stage and will see everything fine.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#191A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/16/23 at 6:58pm

Thanks very much for the info on the seats. I feel much better!

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#192A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/18/23 at 3:19pm

Can someone please tell me if the center orchestra starts at BB or A?

Thanks in advance!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#193A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/18/23 at 6:31pm

Marway44 said: "Can someone please tell me if the center orchestra starts at BB or A?

Thanks in advance!
"

BB

Just give the world Love.

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#194A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/18/23 at 9:55pm

Thank you again! Glad I stayed with A 1, 3 & 5. That way no one is in front. My Aunt is very picky about that!

Updated On: 6/19/23 at 09:55 PM

Jarethan
#195A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/19/23 at 12:16am

JSquared2 said: "ACL2006 said: "Kudos to the cast for their 3 Chita Rivera Awards. Best Choreography, Robyn Hurder & Jess LeProtto.

"

The fact that Beautiful Noise won out over shows like SLIH, NY NY and DANCIN' is just baffling --- and makes one doubt the entire credibility of the Chita Rivera Awards.

I was thinking the same thing.  I don’t even remember any choreography, to e honest.  
"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#196A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/27/23 at 6:07pm

I noticed that for this entire month, Will Swenson has been calling out more and more. Nick Fradiani is on again tonight and has gone on for Will at least one extra performance each week. I expected Will to miss an extra show or two around the Tony Awards, but some weeks he's only been doing 5 performances. However, having seen both, Nick's Neil Diamond is better. I also don't see Swenson extending his contract once its up.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#197A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/27/23 at 6:23pm

This popped up on my YouTube recently, and Fradiani channels Neil Diamond's voice in a way that makes Swenson's sound really hokey:

Updated On: 6/27/23 at 06:23 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#198A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/27/23 at 6:52pm

yep, Nick has Neil's voice down, while Will is hit or miss with it. Hence why I seguest seeing Nick in the role if they can make a Wednesday evening performance. Nick will be on the entire week of July 18 - 23 as Will is on vacation. I'd suggest seeing the show that week just for Nick's performance.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#199A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 6/28/23 at 3:57pm

Will is out again for the matinee today. Don't be surprised if he cuts down to just 6 shows a week beginning in August.

Videos