pixeltracker

One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!

One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#1One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/12/22 at 1:46pm

So, my upcoming NY weekend March 9th to the 12th is almost filled.  Here's what I currently have locked in...

Thursday, March 9th - Sweeney Todd

Friday, March 10th - Camelot

Saturday, March 11th (Evening) - Some Like it Hot

So, I have one slot left open for Saturday afternoon on the 11th, and am trying to decide between Kimberly Akimbo and & Juliet.  I'm leaning a bit more toward Kimberly, but I would appreciate the opinion of anyone who has seen both shows, and which they would pick.

I also am considering Pictures From Home, as it would be nice to have a play in the mix as well.

Any opinions, or additional recommendations would be appreciated!

ElephantLoveMedley
#2One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/12/22 at 2:02pm

Tough call, especially since I think Victoria Clark and Betsy Wolfe are delivering the strongest performances of the season. They're both so good, you can't really go wrong. I liked & Juliet more than Kimberly, but that's just my personal vote.

heathkliff
#3One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/12/22 at 2:09pm

I’ll be flying in myself for that weekend (Wed-Sun), and funnily enough, our Thursday and Friday shows overlap. I’ll be seeing Kimberly Akimbo for my Saturday matinee, and am holding off on &Juliet for a hopeful discount code. Feeling comfortable waiting on the others to see what else might announce or any discounts. 

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#4One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/12/22 at 4:10pm

Both of these are great options, and you can't go wrong with either.

That being said, I would pick & Juliet

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#5One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/12/22 at 4:12pm

I liked & Juliet as a fun/loud, well-done diversion, but Kimberly was on a whole other level (esp due to Clark.) 

Oh, and JULIETBBOX is a current discount code for Juliet. (Use at the Criterion ticketing site.)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/12/22 at 11:32pm

I saw both shows today. &Juliet was very funny, a good time....but devolved onto being preachy in Act II. Still had a great  time.

Kimberly Akimbo is special... really special. See that. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JT2030 Profile Photo
JT2030
#7One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/12/22 at 11:57pm

Agreed that you really can't go wrong here. &JULIET is a blast, AKIMBO is an extraordinary cast doing beautiful work. I'd go for KIMBERLY esp in advance of what I hope will be a lot of awards love. &JULIET will hopefully have a long worthy run and you can see it next trip :)

inception Profile Photo
inception
#8One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/13/22 at 12:04am

I'm going to be in the city the following week.  That discount code for &Juliet is only good up until the first week of February. 

I've already got tickets to Sweeney Todd, the Encores production of Dear World, Anthony Rapp's solo show off-Broadway, & I purchased for Camelot today. 

Also, I definitely want to see Lohengrin at the Met with Piotr Beczała, & perhaps also Norma with Sonya Yoncheva.  Lohengrin is a definite, Norma a maybe.  

I will also try to get a ticket to see the Jimmy Cliff musical The Harder They Come at The Public when they go on sale December 8.  There is a 2pm matinee which should give me enough time to get to my evening flight out of JFK.

Another maybe is seeing Funny Girl again.  I enjoyed it with the previous performer and  I actually liked the staging of a couple of the numbers quite a bit - I thought all the pastel costumes during "Sadie, Sadie" were 6beautiful.  It is a show I enjoy even with performers I'm not keen on (I'm thinking of the UK filmed production). 

I'm waiting to see what discounts extend to other shows before I lock anything else down.  If good discounts become available for Dancin' that might make the list, despite the snarky comments it has received.  I really haven't read anything about any of the new Fall shows that makes any of them must sees for me. Also we still don't know what is going into the Marquis or American Airlines theatres this Spring.

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#9One slot left open for March Theater Weekend. Help me decide!
Posted: 11/13/22 at 1:51pm

I want to thank those who responded.  I decided to go with Kimberly Akimbo for my Saturday afternoon slot.  The deciding factor was the fact that & Juliet will likely tour, and I can see it when it eventually comes to Chicago or Madison, close to where I live.  Got a second row center Orchestra aisle seat.

Thanks again, and so happy to be going back to NY in 16 weeks!