KPOP Reviews

VintageSnarker
#150KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/5/22 at 11:34am

HogansHero said: "Ke3 said: "Nothing I love more than when this board with an overwhelming white membership tries to tackle racism. Neverfailsto be a....thrilling discussion."

what is the alternative? How else could it be tackled?
"

Listening. Though it's a little late with all the Asian board members chased away.

akhoya87
#151KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/5/22 at 11:58am

Back on topic:  Peter Marks of the Washington Post comes out with a dual review of KPOP and Beautiful Noise.  On KPOP, generally mixed, although he praises the music and choreography, while calling out issues with the book:

The music by Helen Park for the rising fictional groups, RTMIS (pronounced Artemis) and F8 (Fate) pulsates exuberantly, and it’s fun to absorb this contribution to the K-pop cultural movement. (Jennifer Weber’s choreography brims with youthful élan.) But an episodic story involving 13 members of the two groups; a domineering producer (Jully Lee) who’s also an ex-star; an aggressive documentary team (Aubie Merrylees and Major Curda) and the origin tale of a new star, Luna’s MwE, overinflate the narrative.

Gift link here:  https://wapo.st/3HdLd16.

Updated On: 12/5/22 at 11:58 AM

CChang 2
#152KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/5/22 at 12:22pm

Good afternoon guys. I saw this show because of my cousin being involved in the production. I am Chinese- American and it's wonderful to have a nearly all Asian cast on a Broadway stage. I enjoyed it but I needed sun glasses! It was extremely bright in our eyes. But in my opinion, Mr. Green knew what he was doing, what he was saying, and he could have been more respectful to us. There is quite a painful history of hatred against us and mocking us for our "slant eyes". It hurts and I hope we can be better than this in the future, because art is about bringing people together and sharing in its collective beauty. Take care. 

Updated On: 12/5/22 at 12:22 PM

LarryD2
#153KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/5/22 at 5:20pm

I'm Korean and Black, and grew up in a Korean-speaking household. (My mother is a native of Seoul; my father is a veteran who learned to speak the language when stationed in Korea.) I read Jesse Green's review and didn't find it offensive. If using the word "squint" in a 1500-word review is a dog whistle, it's a pretty faint one. I think the producers have cannily found a way to deflect the overwhelmingly mixed-to-negative critical consensus by casting themselves as the victims of racism by the only news outlet they actually care about. It's not working at the box office, but it's keeping the production in the headlines, and the rest of the theatrical press has been handling the situation with kid gloves. And when the production closes at a loss in a few weeks/months, I'm sure we'll hear that they never stood a chance because they were so poorly treated by the racist New York Times and their old white man critic.

There have been a lot of great productions in the past few years that center Asian American stories. Lloyd Suh's The Far Country, which opens tonight at the Atlantic, is one example. KPOP is not among them. 

Updated On: 12/5/22 at 05:20 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#154KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/5/22 at 9:12pm

VintageSnarker said: "HogansHero said: "Ke3 said: "Nothing I love more than when this board with an overwhelming white membership tries to tackle racism. Neverfailsto be a....thrilling discussion."

"

Listening. Though it's a little late with all the Asian board members chased away.
"

Asian board members were chased away? News to me, and I'd love to hear why. But re "listening:" its totally possible I missed it, but I have no idea what the racial, ethnic makeup of anyone here is unless they explicitly state as much. And I've "listened" to multiple Asian-Americans say they didnt find Jesse Green racist, or hateful. Those perspectives are to be discounted, I assume? They dont get listened to, huh?

An accusation was made re the NYT theater critic. I heard it, i re-read the words in question, and found the accusation weak to the point of disingenuous. The suggestion that this means I am not disgusted by actual anti-Asian violence and sentiment is predictable, but tired. And the further suggestion that White people can't discuss the accusation is self-defeating, and imagines a world where any perceived offense is simply accepted at face value regardless of the merits. And of course simply accepting any accusation of racism, antisemitism, sexism, homophobia as automatically true and worthy of condemnation, just dilutes and diminishes that very real instances of all those injustices. 

ManOfLaMuncha
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#156KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/6/22 at 6:15pm

Closing this Sunday, December 11

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Ensemble1665759202
#157KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/6/22 at 6:15pm

ACL2006 said: "Closing this Sunday, December 11"

At least some of the miserable people on this board will have to find something else to complain about.

MemorableUserName
#158KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/6/22 at 7:06pm

The New York Times Responds to KPOP Review Controversy

"We saw the open letter written about The Times’s review of KPOP and quickly convened a discussion among editors and members of our standards department. This group was in agreement that Jesse’s review was fair. More importantly, we wholly disagree with the argument that Jesse’s criticism is somehow racist. We always welcome feedback and reaction to our journalism, and have conveyed a similar reply to the producers who wrote the open letter."

ElephantLoveMedley
#159KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/6/22 at 7:29pm

MemorableUserName said: "The New York Times Responds to KPOP Review Controversy

"We saw the open letter written about The Times’s review of KPOPand quickly convened a discussion among editors and members of our standards department. This group was in agreement that Jesse’s review was fair. More importantly, we wholly disagree with the argument that Jesse’s criticism is somehow racist. We always welcome feedback and reaction to our journalism, and have conveyed a similar reply to the producers who wrote the open letter."
"

AMAZING. Proud of them for not sitting back and taking such heinous accusations. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#160KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/6/22 at 7:36pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "VintageSnarker said: "HogansHero said: "Ke3 said: "Nothing I love more than when this board with an overwhelming white membership tries to tackle racism. Neverfailsto be a....thrilling discussion."

"

"

Asian board members were chased away? News to me, and I'd love to hear why. But re "listening:" its totally possible I missed it, but I have no idea what the racial, ethnic makeup of anyone here is unless they explicitly state as much. And I've "listened" to multiple Asian-Americans say they didnt find Jesse Green racist, or hateful. Those perspectives are to be discounted, I assume? They dont get listened to, huh?

An accusation was made re the NYT theater critic. I heard it, i re-read the words in question, and found the accusation weak to the point of disingenuous. The suggestion that this means I am not disgusted by actual anti-Asian violence and sentiment is predictable, but tired. And the further suggestion that White people can't discuss the accusation is self-defeating, and imagines a world where any perceived offense is simply accepted at face value regardless of the merits. And of course simply accepting any accusation of racism, antisemitism, sexism, homophobia as automatically true and worthy of condemnation, just dilutes and diminishes that very real instances of all those injustices.
"

The review is not racist! Everyone loves to play the blame game by saying racist.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

verywellthensigh
#161KPOP Reviews
Posted: 12/7/22 at 9:47am

So much for getting up early and pulling a Tonya Pinkins.

Videos