pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22

PipingHotPiccolo
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 11/30/22 at 7:08pm

Jarethan said: "
Lilias White was never going to sell tickets 9except to a few people on this board who have to see everyone who ever plays a role in a show. Chris Sullivan was even less likely to sell tickets. I would bet that 90% of the people who watched This is Us faithfully could not tell you his name today, if asked. He may be a talented actor -- personally, I fast-forwarded through most of the Kate / Toby (?) sub-plot, because I was so sick of their storyline -- but he is not going to sell tickets to anyone but the people I previously referenced and a few friends and family.

"

Of course you are right re Lillias White--the suggestion on these boards that she was cast in order to sell tickets was always pretty ridiculous--but I dont see why Chris Sullivan wouldnt move some merchandise as much as various other celebs that are routinely added to sell tickets. Setting aside that he is incredibly talented (and originated? i think? the role), "Now Starring Chris Sullivan from 'This Is Us'!!" makes sense to me. Show was a powerhouse hit for years. 

Rainah
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 11/30/22 at 9:00pm

quizking101 said: "

There's no indication of her leaving soon, so I would assume it's at least 6 months (which puts her to the beginning of March).

Not sure how much Chris Sullivan would move the box office since the "This Is Us" fervor has likely died down. I thought about Norm Lewis as Hades, but he's going on tour with "A Soldier's Play". Phillip Boykin could also do it since he'll be free after "The Music Man".

Honestly, with the cast of "A Strange Loop" in mind, Jason Veasey and Antwayn Hopper from "A Strange Loop" could also sing Hades as written, and John-Andrew Morrison could be a fun Hermes.

I just wish they would replace Reeve and Eva already - when I saw it last month, they (especially Reeve) looked very "phoned in" and it took me out of it...
"

I don't watch This Is Us so I had no idea how big/popular his role was - everything on google just said it was a main role. I mean, I wouldn't have guessed Lea would be a huge draw either even with the controversy but here we are.

I do wish they'd continue casting Hades with that deep deep range. It's rare but it's not like Patrick is the only one who can do it.

And yeah Reeve and Eva probably need to move on. I know Eva's talked about being burned out. But I can also understand not wanting to leave a well paying job.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 11/30/22 at 11:47pm

THE VIEW had Jackson and his wife from THE PIANO LESSON on as guests on yesterday’s show. Whoopi and Sunny did a lot of ass kissing, Sunny once again quoted Patti Lupone saying “This show is going to win all the awards.” They all said what a great show this is and praised them both. Everyone in the audience went home with a pair of tickets, Whoopi wants everyone to go see this play. 

Jarethan
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 12/1/22 at 2:04am

jkcohen626 said: "Bill Snibson said: "I think very often the wealthy who have money to burn like the "cache" of being able to say that they are "producers" of a broadway show. The reality is they are simply investors...have zero say in the production...but can get their friends house seats and tell everyone that they are attached to a broadway production."

And win awards too! Jennifer Hudson has her EGOT because she wrote a check for A Strange Loop. Whoopi Goldberg and John Legend too!
"

Whoopi does not have her EGOT because of A Strange Loop.  A thousand years ago, she won a special To y or her one-person show on Broadway, which essentially introduced Whoopi to the world.

GingerSnaps2
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 12/1/22 at 2:51am

Whoopi actually won her Tony as a producer of Thoroughly Modern Millie.  Nonetheless, her epic Mike Nichols-produced solo show back in the ‘80’s is indeed legendary.  I believe it was nominated in some kind of erstwhile “special event” category.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 12/1/22 at 9:33am

Actually, I just looked it up....as I, too, thought she won a Tony Award for her one woman show in the 84-85, but the GingerSnap is correct....her 20th Anniversary of that show is what had the nomination, not a win.   

I have (legit) dvds of both performances and they really are stunning.

So her Tony is, indeed, for being a producer on Millie.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 12/1/22 at 10:41am

jkcohen626 said: "Bill Snibson said: "I think very often the wealthy who have money to burn like the "cache" of being able to say that they are "producers" of a broadway show. The reality is they are simply investors...have zero say in the production...but can get their friends house seats and tell everyone that they are attached to a broadway production."

And win awards too! Jennifer Hudson has her EGOT because she wrote a check for A Strange Loop. Whoopi Goldberg and John Legend too!
"

As others have mentioned Whoopi Goldberg won her Tony for Thoroughly Modern Millie, but unlike many the other names you have mentioned and the new "celebrity" Broadway producer is actually an angel investor marketing trend, Goldberg began her involvement with Thoroughly Modern Millie in 1998, 4 years before it would grace the Broadway stage in 2002 and win a her a Tony Award. 

https://variety.com/1998/legit/news/whoopi-backs-b-way-millie-1117469839/

Goldberg was not simply cutting a check to add a credit to her name and give the show a marketing push, she actually spent 4 years working behind the scenes as an actual producer to get the show to Broadway. Whoopi could very easily become the angel investor style producer in the vein of Jennifer Hudson, Candi Spelling, RuPaul, John Legend, or now Mariah Carey, but she chooses not too. This is why Whoopi Goldberg's name actually means something within the Broadway community. 

jo
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 12/1/22 at 9:32pm

ACL2006 said: "Odd numbers for A BEAUTIFUL NOISE. Their availability for most of December is limited, just bizarre they dropped so much on a holiday weekend.

Kimberly Akimbo seems to be gaining steam. Small cast, orchestra & set, those grosses should have them about breaking even now.

Kudos to Music Man for almost grossing $3 million despite Jackman missing 3 shows. YEAH MAX CLAYTON!
"

Max held the fort to some extent -- but given the surge of Thanksgiving Week for all major shows (Lion King/Hamilton/Wicked) can you imagine how much more the receipts for Music Man could have turned out had Hugh been present all week?  They probably would be close to or even exceeded their record $3.4 million week record?

I was back to the show on Nov 25 (Ben Affleck) but I wished I did not decide not to see it again on Nov 26 ( I did go back on Nov 27), when Nicole Kidman turned up to give the largest BC/EFA donation in history. That clip was a media sensation as she sauntered to the front and praised Hugh/BroadwayCares/and the whole cast! 

Updated On: 12/1/22 at 09:32 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/27/22
Posted: 12/1/22 at 11:59pm

Sorry! I just meant that Whoopi and John Legend's Tonys were producing credits and not performing credits, not that they were Strange Loop Producers. 

That's so interesting about Whoopi actually being super involved in Millie!

Videos