pixeltracker

Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.

Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.
Posted: 2/8/23 at 12:39am

One of the greatest scenic designers to ever work on Broadway has passed away, as reported by SNL (for which he served as Production Designer since 1975) and those in the theatre community who knew him.

The mark of a truly great career in the theatre: not only did he design critical hits (Sweeney, Show Boat, Ragtime, Wicked, Hal Prince's environmental Candide revival) and win 3 Tony Awards, but he was ALSO involved some legendary flops (Dude, Merrily, Seussical, Amazing Grace). An astonishingly brilliant body of work.

RIP.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.
Posted: 2/8/23 at 12:50am

What a career!  RiP

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#3Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.
Posted: 2/8/23 at 5:32am

Oof… I haven’t posted on here in ages, but this is one of the more painful deaths for me. 

Eugene Lee was an absolute master of a set designer. He  inspired me with his larger than life stage designs, and I’m so thankful that I’ve been able to see his work on stages in New York City, Denver, Las Vegas and Southern California. 

It’s pretty cool that he designed Wicked, Showboat and Sweeney Todd all for the Gershwin Theatre. It’s amazing that he was able to use of every inch of space in that big ole barn. And while he recreated his work in subsequent tours, there is really nothing as jaw dropping as seeing the full scale show on Broadway. 

The first design I saw of Eugene Lee’s was Showboat on tour in Denver at the Temple Hoyne Buell Theatre in 1995. I was absolutely blown away by the amount of stagecraft, automation, flies and trapdoors that were utilized in a touring show; and that there was not just one but two full size Showboats that appeared on the stage. That design quickly became an obsession for me to recreate the set in miniature scale. 

In fact; it was the designs of Mr. Lee (as well as the late Maria Bjornson, Stanley Meyer and Bob Crowley) that prompted me to pursue a career in technical theatre; originally in set design but later in lighting. 

I can’t thank Eugene Lee enough for the passion he ignited in me, and for the beautiful stage paintings that he has given millions over the years. May he rest in peace, and may his family and loved ones know that he will be deeply missed

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

The Scorpion
#4Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.
Posted: 2/8/23 at 6:12am

Very sad news. I loved his designs for Sweeney - which were quite influential and, if what I saw from the load-in for the revival is anything to go by, may well have shaped some of the ideas that production will use.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
¿Macavity?
Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.
Posted: 2/8/23 at 11:15am

I wonder if Wicked plans on honoring him in some way at tonight’s performance.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.
Posted: 2/8/23 at 11:20am

RIP — I just love this thrilling view as people walk into the Gershwin Theatre nightly:

Wicked - Theatrecrafts.com

Oh look, a bibu!

Dollypop
#9Tony-winning scenic designer Eugene Lee (SWEENEY, WICKED, etc) has died at age 83.
Posted: 2/9/23 at 10:32pm

I'll never forget how the set for the original SWEENEY TODD extended over the 1st 6 rows of the audience.

May he rest in peace.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos