Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd

laporms
#1Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/3/23 at 8:19pm

Can anyone point me to an audio or video archive where I could hear Mommie Dearest as Norma Desmond? TIA

BorisTomashevsky
#2Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/3/23 at 8:33pm

I’m also on the hunt, and support your pursuit! They’re being well-hidden. I think the audios are easier to get than the videos, but in two decades of searching/asking, neither have landed in my hands. 

What I was told by an actor that was there is… the acting was extraordinary, and she could sing okay once she was “in” the song, but finding the key was always a messy moment. 

Best case scenario would be hearing them in person with someone that has them. I can’t imagine the files are sent around readily Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/3/23 at 8:34pm

Edit, sorry, hadn’t read up entirely on the whole Faye Dunaway/Sunset debacle. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 9/3/23 at 08:34 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/3/23 at 9:10pm

Dunaway never did a single performance so no video or audio exists. They pulled the plug on the L.A. production very early into her rehearsals. She did begin costume fittings but no promotional photos were ever taken. 

BorisTomashevsky
#5Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/3/23 at 9:38pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Dunaway never did a single performance so no video or audio exists. They pulled the plug on the L.A. production very early into her rehearsals. She did begin costume fittings but no promotional photos were ever taken."

She didn’t perform, but the tapes that are out there are from rehearsal.
In this interview from around 1h13min, Rex Smith says it was 5 and a half weeks into rehearsal, at the dress rehearsal, that the plug was pulled on LA. Plenty of time for video and audio to be taken. 
The interviewer also mentions a tape. 

https://youtu.be/NfgML33D2qA?si=dUBR83J031cxEktL

Updated On: 9/3/23 at 09:38 PM

BrodyFosse123
#6Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/3/23 at 10:23pm

Thank you for the link. This is the first time we actually get direct info about Dunaway in SUNSET BLVD on so many levels as for decades it’s all been heresay (including those alleged recordings that have never surfaced anywhere). No idea he was initially cast to continue the L.A. run prior to opening the Toronto production. Also great how he praised her performance and stating that her acting alone would have made her singing limitations forgivable. Only watched the SUNSET and Leonard Bernstein portion of this interview and thrilled I did.  Thank you again for sharing this. 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#7Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/4/23 at 2:17pm

Scroll to 5:40 to hear about Faye Dunaway in rehearsals for "Sunset Blvd" at The Shubert - from fellow cast member Anastasia Barzee.

Billy Masters LIVE (S03E09) - 6-16-22 - Tonys Recap Panel - YouTube

Updated On: 9/4/23 at 02:17 PM

BrodyFosse123
#8Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/4/23 at 2:35pm

I can’t thank you ENOUGH for the sharing of these. Rex and Anastasia cleared up so much speculation and heresay rumors that have been around for decades. Faye was about 52-53 around this time so she was age appropriate and so great hearing such positive and complimentary words not only about her but about her performance as Norma. Sadly time hasn’t fared well for Dunaway but nice to know there was a time when she still held that glorious Dunaway aura and her Norma is/was a missed opportunity as they truly could have allowed her to sing the score however she felt comfortable with and thus have given us a different approach to the role. That rumored tape has yet to surface anywhere in about 30 years so hopefully it does in our lifetime. 

BorisTomashevsky
#9Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/4/23 at 2:56pm

Very welcome Brody, and thanks Neal for posting the Anastasia link - I’d forgotten about that interview as being a fan of Rex Smith, once I saw his piece it stayed more in my mind - but Anastasia’s words are so valuable as well. 

They do give a wonderful account of the whole thing. And props to Billy Masters for diving into it all!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#10Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 10:53am

Boris, thanks for posting the Rex interview.  Both interviews when discussing Faye are very, very complimentary to her, and very fair regarding what she could and couldn't do.  Anastasia's insight was pretty spot on.  Had tickets to see Faye.  

In his autobiography, Bob Avian writes about SB.  He never saw her in rehearsals, but heard incredible things about her book scenes, too.  

Kelley10
#11Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 1:58pm

I went the final week at the Shubert: Los Angeles to see the show for the third time. There was an unusually long Cancellation Line that night. Turns out that was the day Dunaway was let go and there was a sudden demand for tickets before it closed. 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#12Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 2:10pm

I attended that final Sunday matinee performance.  Saw the show 4 times during the LA run.  

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#13Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 3:57pm

I’ve been friends w Barzee since the 90s. I love “sunset”, I’ve asked about Faye. She’s always said her acting was amazing. 

Rex was, I think, one of the best Joes. 

BorisTomashevsky
#14Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 4:17pm

You got it Neal! Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd 
I’ve always wondered why Rex wasn’t auditioned and offered the LA premiere. His interview made it sound like the replacement cast audition was his first time auditioning. He and Glenn would have been dynamite, and his name would have been extra box office incentive - as if it was needed!

Love Alan Campbell’s Joe though. 

Updated On: 9/5/23 at 04:17 PM

BrodyFosse123
#15Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 4:18pm

The only advance promo released.

Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#16Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 4:30pm

There was a newspaper ad for SB with Faye announcing her start date, with Karen Mason going on during before Faye took over, and after Glenn left.  I have no idea on how to attach it here though.  Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd  I'm very electronically challenged.  

Boris, agreed.  One would think that Rex would have been offered the role of Joe Gillis from the start.  I did several shows with Amick Byram, who understudied Alan Campbell and did the role many times during the show's 7 month run.  He said the same thing about Faye, that her book scenes were just unbelievable.  And, given more time, she would have made the songs her own, in a completely different style.  

Updated On: 9/5/23 at 04:30 PM

BrodyFosse123
#17Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/5/23 at 4:36pm

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#18Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/6/23 at 11:25am

I'm confused by what Lloyd Webber really had to lose in this situation.

I'm assuming Glenn Close and the production had already been decently/favorably reviewed in Los Angeles, especially since the company was in the process of leaving for New York.

Would negative reviews of Faye Dunaway merely replacing in the Los Angeles production have affected or threatened the show's success on Broadway that much?

Perhaps someone could clarify the potential impact for me.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

sassylash3s
#19Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/7/23 at 11:14am

Does anyone know if they moved the physical production from LA to Broadway?  I can imagine if they weren't confident the LA production would run with Dunaway, they might have felt it was less risky to close it rather than build a new set/costumes for NY.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#20Faye Dunaway - Sunset Blvd
Posted: 9/7/23 at 12:00pm

Per the “DUNAWAY WITH FAYE: SUN SETS ON BOULEVARD” article from the Washington Post announcing the cancellation, the Los Angeles sets were used for the Canadian production with Diahann Carroll. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Videos