Hunger Games – London 2024

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#1Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 3:49am

https://thehungergamesonstage.com/

The first-ever live stage adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ internationally acclaimed book “The Hunger Games” and Lionsgate’s worldwide box office phenomenon THE HUNGER GAMES will make its debut in London in Autumn 2024.

In a dystopian future, The Hunger Games ignite a thrilling battle for survival, where 24 young tributes are pitted against each other in a deadly arena. Katniss Everdeen, a fearless and resourceful heroine, emerges as a symbol of rebellion as she fights not only for her life but for the hope of a nation oppressed by a ruthless Capitol. In a brand new epic stage production, The Hunger Games is a gripping tale of courage, defiance, and the unbreakable human spirit.

The stage production has been adapted by the multi award-winning playwright Conor McPherson and will be helmed by renowned director Matthew Dunster (2:22 - A Ghost Story, Hangmen, The Pillowman), with a world-class creative team who will bring the show to breathtaking life.

Joining McPherson and Dunster on the creative team are Miriam Buether (set designer), Moi Tran (costume designer), Charlotte Broom (choreographer), Lucy Carter (lighting designer), Ian Dickinson (sound designer), Tal Rosner (video designer), Chris Fisher (illusions) Kev McCurdy (fight director), John Maddox (performer flying), Amy Ball (casting director), and Gary Beestone (production manager).

twitter.com/THGonStage

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 8:07am

I think the only question is why? 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

BETTY22
#3Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 8:15am

This is going to be a monster hit....I fear for the future of original shows........

willep
#4Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 8:38am

Not Jack Thorne?

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#5Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 9:15am

What is it with the Brits and doing straight play versions of movies? I mean yes, this is technically based on the books, but at this point more people have seen the movies, and what could this offer that is different? Will it be audience participation style with VIP ticket holders getting to volunteer as tribute? 

KevinKlawitter
#6Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 9:48am

Well, this was inevitable. I don't think this is too concerning in terms of the future of theatre - it's nothing new, really, especially in the broader context of world theatre (in Japan, Sailor Moon alone has been brought to the stage several dozen times).

Conor McPherson as playwright is a curious choice, though.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 9:57am

BETTY22 said: "This is going to be a monster hit....I fear for the future of original shows........"

I don't know. Hunger Games doesn't feel nearly as popular as Harry Potter or Stranger Things. It kind of came and went in a few years, and the new prequel movie doesn't inspire much confidence for this IP.

McPherson and Dunster are pretty much the only things giving me hope here. But on paper the TOOTSIE creative team also gave me confidence.......

verywellthensigh
#8Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 9:58am

My tired is tired.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#9Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:00am

KevinKlawitter said: "Conor McPherson as playwright is a curious choice, though."

So is Dunster, given the reaction to The Pillowman (which nonetheles sold a lot of tickets) and 2:22 (albeit that it also sold a lot of tickets). In other words, Dunster shows have sold a lot of tickets, but the quality of the direction, imo, have been lacking. Maybe Dunster is the Chris Columbus of stage direction!

Updated On: 10/24/23 at 10:00 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:44am

ggersten said: "Maybe Dunster is the Chris Columbus of stage direction!"

I started listing a few names and then realized there might be way too many of those types in the theatre... Michael Wilson, Robert Moore, Gene Saks, Laurence Connor, Kathleen Marshall, Trip Cullman, Lonny Price, John Rando, Daniel Sullivan, Scott Ellis, sometimes Jack O'Brien & Jerry Zaks...etc.

Not visionary directors, but can usually deliver a competent show with a few flourishes, serve the writer's wishes, sometimes get awards/nominations, and they know how to "play the game" of being a collaborative theater-maker.

And sometimes that's what a show needs.

Updated On: 10/24/23 at 10:44 AM

RentBoy86
#11Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:49am

It just doesn’t feel theatrical to me. There’s so many locations, so many characters.. but I guess they made Harry Potter work. 

jimmycurry01
#12Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:53am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "BETTY22 said: "This is going to be a monster hit....I fear for the future of original shows........"

I don't know. Hunger Games doesn't feelnearlyas popular as Harry Potter or Stranger Things. It kind of came and went in a few years, and the new prequel movie doesn't inspire much confidence for this IP.

McPherson and Dunster are pretty much the only things giving me hope here. But on paper the TOOTSIE creative team also gave me confidence.......
"

Came and went? I can tell you don't work in a school. The Hunger Games book series is still quite popular amongst the teens and tweens, and the movie got a lot of excitement when I played it for my study hall kids the day before fall break. It's still a thing, there just isn't a lot of merchandising attached to it in the way of Harry Potter.

With that being said, I don't see this story working well on stage. I could certainly be wrong; Harry Potter works very well, but this property just feels different.

verywellthensigh
#13Hunger Games – London 2024
Posted: 10/24/23 at 11:07am

Remember when they did Dead Poets Society, Brokeback Mountain, Rain Man and When Harry Met Sally as straight plays?

Yeah, me neither.