News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”

Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”

BETTY22
#1Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 10:52am

OUCH!

Not Best Comedy or Musical nomination.

No Best Song or Musical Score.

Congrats to Fantasia and Supporting Actress for Danielle Brooks, both nominated - and giving brilliant performances 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 11:04am

My thoughts on this show from day one is that it’s not a good musical but allows for brilliant performances that make people not realize the flaws in the musical, itself. Having not seen it yet obviously, I’m curious if these nominations point to the film having the same problems I see in the stage show. 

Broadway61004
#3Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 11:19am

Jordan Catalano said: "My thoughts on this show from day one is that it’s not a good musical but allows for brilliant performances that make people not realize the flaws in the musical, itself. Having not seen it yet obviously, I’m curious if these nominations point to the film having the same problems I see in the stage show."

I've not yet seen it either, but from everything I've heard, yes--great performances in a very mediocre film. (Saw one post about the film that merely said "the direction is....a choice", so, I think that sums up what we're looking at).

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#4Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 11:58am

Yeah this doesn't look good for it. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#5Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 12:30pm

Early word of mouth on this isn’t great. It’s been test screened several times, which isn’t a very good sign. And while there have been plenty of mediocre musicals nominated for a Golden Globe over the years, this was a pretty crowded year.

As others have noted, the show itself has largely coasted on the performances it allows and not strength of the material itself, so this isn’t terribly surprising.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#6Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 2:13pm

With all due respect...it's the Golden Globes. Have they ever been trusted or respected? SAG Awards and Critics Choice have become more indicative of who will win Oscar gold. 

WestEndGal
#7Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 2:24pm

Jordan Catalano said: "My thoughts on this show from day one is that it’s not a good musical but allows for brilliant performances that make people not realize the flaws in the musical, itself. Having not seen it yet obviously, I’m curious if these nominations point to the film having the same problems I see in the stage show."

You’re saying this as if the Golden Globes is the model of discernment when it comes to nominating quality shows and movies! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 2:45pm

No, I’m saying that as someone who’s seen the show numerous times and opened this thread a wrote a quick thought on the topic, not a well researched peer reviewed study on the topic at hand, because this is a message board where people just write their thoughts and opinions. 

JSquared2
#9Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 5:13pm

Broadway61004 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "My thoughts on this show from day one is that it’s not a good musical but allows for brilliant performances that make people not realize the flaws in the musical, itself. Having not seen it yet obviously, I’m curious if these nominations point to the film having the same problems I see in the stage show."

I've not yet seen it either, but from everything I've heard, yes--great performances in a very mediocre film. (Saw one post about the film that merely said "the direction is....a choice", so, I think that sums up what we're looking at).
"

I tend to disregard ANYTHING that comes from of the mouth of someone who uses the phrase "...a choice"!

WestEndGal
#10Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 6:10pm

Jordan Catalano said: "No, I’m saying that as someone who’s seen the show numerous times and opened this thread a wrote a quick thought on the topic, not a well researched peer reviewed study on the topic at hand, because this is a message board where people just write their thoughts and opinions."

Wow, way to take a light hearted comment about the integrity of the Golden Globes nominating committee so seriously, but I wouldn’t have expected anything less. In my opinion of course! 

verywellthensigh
#11Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:44pm

The Golden Globes are pretty well known for their knee-jerk nominations for whatever is year-end, faux prestige, studio-released and middlebrow, so I am surprised about that.

Not surprised this is a misfire, however, because that trailer was seriously cringe.  Celie having an Art Deco fantasy number?  Seriously?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#12Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:53pm

For the love of Taylor Swift, what is wrong with some of you people? There is nothing wrong with what Jordan said and it is met with gross snark and negativity, Most of the people on this board need a damn life and not harass random people on the internet. 

Also, Jordan is one of the only posters keeping this ridiculous rat hole alive, so there is that. Be kinder, folks.

Updated On: 12/11/23 at 09:53 PM

MNNiceorIce Profile Photo
MNNiceorIce
#13Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/11/23 at 11:18pm

I've seen it (at a screening last week) and the right two performers were nominated (Brooks is far and away the best thing about the movie).  The nominations it didn't get, it doesn't deserve.  

I’ll never understand why they cut down I’m Here so much and have staged it like such an afterthought.  Well, at least compared to all the huge musical numbers with Broadway-bodied dancers who just appear out of nowhere that don’t make any sense in context with the time and place.

It does have its moments…but the trailer gave me more goosebumps than the full film did.

Wayman_Wong
#14Golden Globes Snubs for “The Color Purple,”
Posted: 12/12/23 at 12:03am

The Golden Globes nominators also snubbed another live-action musical: ''The Little Mermaid.'' They could've nominated it for Best Musical or Comedy; its star, Halle Bailey, for Best Actress, or one of its three new songs by Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda. (I thought the best one was ''Wild, Uncharted Waters,'' which Jonah Hauer-King sang as Prince Eric.) Instead, this is a rare year where the Globe category of Best Musical or Comedy has no musicals at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-S_u-mPGIo

Updated On: 12/12/23 at 12:03 AM

Videos