pixeltracker

Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate

Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate

SFFrontRow
#1Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/24/24 at 10:01pm

I read a comment posted on the NYTimes review of the play Appropriate at the Helen Hayes owned by 2nd Stage company. The comment complained pretty vociferously about the partial view in the right Orchestra side seats (2, 4, 6.... et al).

Apparently there is piles of stuff that blocks the view to the stage for all but about the last half hour. The poster said they were subscribers and received a refund for the show.

I became a subscriber this year (out of towner and get a subscripion if the shows align with my visits). I do NYC and mostly all of my theater alone and love the side aisle seats (the 1 or 2 seats) in orchestra or mezz. Since I am a subscriber, I may ask for a seat change, but the performance I can attend only has mezz location for the aisles.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Updated On: 1/24/24 at 10:01 PM

MasterThespian 2
#2Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 5:20am

Ugh. This is the first I’m hearing of this potential viewing issue. Have Orchestra R, Row F seats coming up. Picked that section because I read the actors face that way for most of the performance.

Would appreciate any Orchestra R folks giving us the scoop. Thanks. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 6:54am

Just from my imagination, I can only see how a 2/4/6 seat on the right orchestra would be a problem if it were super close to the stage. If you were further back, a side seat is better since you will have a wider field of view. (When I go to shows, I tend to get rear orch accessible when I can).

I wouldn’t wish a mezzanine seat in the Hayes on my worst enemy since both the seats and the pitch are so narrow that it makes for a miserable experience (which, for a 3 hour play, is a BIG problem)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

yyys
#4Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 7:02am

There is a hamper and a very tall lamp in all of Act 1 (it will be mostly gone in Act 2 except for the lamp).  

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/258130/Hayes+Theater/section-Orchestra+R/row-L/seat-10/

Since Orchestra row F is fourth row of ORCH RIGHT, I'd try to move that seat orchestra center...or further away from the stage if you want to stay in Orch Right.

Orchestra left close to the stage is also problematic...

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/257298/Hayes+Theater/section-Orchestra+C/row-K/seat-108/

Updated On: 1/25/24 at 07:02 AM

MasterThespian 2
#5Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 8:27am

Thanks for the insight. Switching our tickets isn’t really an option. Our seats are Orchestra R, Row F, Seats 8 & 10. We’re both pretty tall, so perhaps that might help a bit? 

yyys
#6Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 9:15am

I think row F seat 10 is considered partial view...some of the scenes will not be visible with that seat. Not sure about seat 8 but I think you'll be fine with those seats overall.

Crazy that they are charging full price for Orch right, Row C.

Dreamboy3
#7Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 9:24am

You should also keep in mind that from the far left orchestra you won’t be able to see the full set - and there is a lot of action on a staircase that may be obstructed if you do sit there. 

yyys
#8Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 9:32am

I'm curious if the first scene (the window scene) is visible on either far left or far right....

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#9Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 11:34am

I’m in F9 this weekend. It’s labeled partial view but next to a $269 seat, so I figured it wouldn’t be TOO bad. Now I’m nervous. :(

MasterThespian 2
#10Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 12:16pm

Sounds like those in Orchestra Left may be worse off than  those in Orchestra Right. 
Would love to hear first-hand from anyone who has already seen Appropriate from these sections.
Thanks in advance. 

SFFrontRow
#11Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 2:03pm

Turns out I am on orchestra left and not right (I have E1). I have looked at several photos on View from My Seat and there is a View from My Seat for E1 taken at a performance of Appropriate and the poster did not give an angry COULD NOT SEE comment.

The pile of stuff doesn't look that dauntingly high, but you never know until you get there. Based on the photo in A View from My Seat, I am going to roll the dice and assume I will be able to see fine (so maybe I don't see the actors feet.

Someone told me it is the responsibility of the set designer to ensure the views are not blocked by their set... I can say for sure, if this set designer is nominated for a Tony award, I for one will be rooting for anyone else to win.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#12Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 3:45pm

I sat in K7 and I could see the window scene fine. No other obstructions.  I did make a mental note though that the three seats to my left which were considerably cheaper would probably not have that much of a different view with one exception. There are a couple of scenes where the creepy teenage daughter is hiding in the vestibule (stage right) eavesdropping on the conversation happening in the living room (center stage).  I am thinking that anyone in 9,11,13 would probably miss that as it appeared it would be cut off from that angle. Not a big deal but thought I'd mention it. Also, does this theater always have such horrible house lighting? Before the show and again at intermission I felt like I was at a night game at Citi Field with those glaring stadium lights blinding me. Is this just part of the Appropriate experience or common for the Hayes? 

JSquared2
#13Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 3:55pm

Melissa25 said: "I sat in K7 and I could see the window scene fine. No other obstructions. I did make a mental note though that the three seats to my left which were considerably cheaper would probably not have that much of a different view with one exception. There are a couple of scenes where the creepy teenage daughter is hiding in the vestibule (stage right) eavesdropping on the conversation happening in the living room (center stage). I am thinking that anyone in 9,11,13 would probably miss that as it appeared it would be cut off from that angle. Not a big deal but thought I'd mention it. Also, does this theater always have such horrible house lighting? Before the show and again at intermission I felt like I was at a night game at Citi Field with those glaring stadium lights blinding me. Is this just part of the Appropriate experience or common for the Hayes?"

You lost me at "creepy teenage daughter".  What did you find "creepy" about her?  A little kid playing hide and seek and listening in on adult conversations is hardly "creepy".

KPruettBway
#14Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 5:05pm

My husband and I were in Orch Right F2 F4 and did not have any problems with the view. I did hear some people in the rows closest to the stage complaining that their view was partially blocked, but F was not a problem.

SFFrontRow
#15Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/25/24 at 5:54pm

BIG thanks for the info... if you were on the side in row F, there are only three rows in front of you. I am guessing the unhappy people were in row C which is the first row and lower than the stage even without the junk downstage on each side.

Your post is helpful as I am in E1 - only one row in front of yours albeit on the left orch side.

Tickets today are so expensive, getting agitae over something like this is unneccesary. And you know I only found that "complaint" right after I booked the ticket.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#16Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/29/24 at 1:03pm

I was in F9 yesterday, and I thought the seat was just fine, especially for the price. You do miss a few moments but you can still see the staircase (I heard you couldn’t) and just about everything in the play. Well worth it. And the show is GREAT and lived up to the hype.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#17Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 1/29/24 at 1:11pm

Surprising no one mentioned how tight and uncomfortable the seats generally are in Hayes (at least for the orchestra). Had the play been any less engaging, the pain of not being able to stretch my legs straight would've been vying for my attention throughout the three hours. Going from Hudson to Hayes, both charging similar prices for the seats, at least I didn't have to put myself through the waterboarding watching Merrily. If you can get an aisle seat, get that for Hayes unless you are unusually petite.  

Wardelljclark2018
#18Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 2/20/24 at 9:54pm

I'm curious if anyone has rushed Appropriate at the box office lately and what the line is like? Or any luck on the todaytix app? Thanks in advance.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#19Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 2/20/24 at 11:00pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Surprising no one mentioned how tight and uncomfortable the seats generally are in Hayes (at least for the orchestra). Had the play been any less engaging, the pain of not being able to stretch my legs straight would've been vying for my attention throughout the three hours. Going from Hudson to Hayes, both charging similar prices for the seats, at least I didn't have to put myself through the waterboarding watching Merrily. If you can get an aisle seat, get that for Hayes unless you are unusually petite."

The seats in this theatre are about as miserable as the mezzanine at Studio 54. Torture for a taller person.

yyys
#20Helen Hayes seating for Appropriate
Posted: 2/20/24 at 11:11pm

there is no rush at the box office.

Wardelljclark2018 said: "I'm curious if anyone has rushed Appropriate at the box office lately and what the line is like? Or any luck on the todaytix app? Thanks in advance."

Latest Posts