pixeltracker

Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter

Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/12/24 at 10:59pm

NYC is projected to get around 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow, the city’s heaviest snowfall in over 2 years.

As of right now, 5 out of the 23 currently running Broadway shows happen to be dark tomorrow night - Appropriate is cancelled tomorrow and Wednesday due to COVID illness in the cast.

Do we think the rest of Broadway stays open, as this storm should conclude by early in the afternoon? I guess we have to wait and see what happens with public transportation. 

Feel free to discuss Off-Broadway’s status too on this thread, I’m not quite as well-versed there. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 2/12/24 at 10:59 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:30pm

I'd be shocked if any shows cancel, certainly not all shows unless this exceeds all expectations. Maybe if a major star was stuck outside of the city that would be a reason to cancel, but the only real seller on Broadway right now is Radcliffe.

5 to 8 inches is nothin, it will allegedly stop by Noon, and the slightest change in temp means rain.

It could be icey if the overnight rain freezes on the ground, but the city is prepared for that.

Updated On: 2/12/24 at 11:30 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#3Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/13/24 at 1:12am

I'll be surprised if this isn't a false alarm. I look at the temps first and the projected snow second. If the temps never go to freezing while it is snowing, and are in the mid to high 30s in the afternoon, the 5-8 inches may fall but will not accumulate. I expect no shutdowns on account of this. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/13/24 at 8:21am

Broadway shows typically only cancel if mass transit gets shut down. Doesn't appear NYC is getting a large enough amount to warrant that.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#5Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/13/24 at 8:53am

Maybe no cancelations, but I anticipate snow day discount codes to be coming out shortly. 

Phantom4ever
#6Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/13/24 at 9:05am

During the 10 years I lived in Hoboken and worked as a teacher, we had several snow days just about every year I was there, and it seemed like they always managed to fall on a Wednesday so I would always hop on PATH and see a Broadway matinee on my snow days. It was rare to unheard of for Broadway to cancel for snow. Although Broadway did shut down for the record breaking two feet of snow in 2006. 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#7Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/13/24 at 9:28am

I have similarly cherished snow day theater experiences falling on a Wednesday. Court would be closed and I’d rush up to Broadway to see basically whatever I wanted no matter how popular the show was. I think I saw Billie Elliot for 30 dollars one snow day when it was still a hot ticket. 

jagman106
#8Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/13/24 at 11:21am

Over the years, I've traveled into the City from NJ to see a show during a blizzard. I've never had an experience where a show closed because of the weather, although a few times, the weather was so severe I just couldn't get into the City. In most of those cases, I was able to see the show at a later date as long as there was availability. I have tickets for Days of Wine and Roses for tonight and fully expect the show to go on. With the snow predicted to stop in the metro-area around mid-day, I doubt any show will be canceled due to the weather.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#9Broadway and Tomorrow’s Nor’easter
Posted: 2/13/24 at 12:56pm

It seems like the Kids' Night on Broadway promotion will continue as planned for each of the 12 participating shows performing tonight. (SIX and & Juliet are dark and will participate tomorrow and Thursday, respectively.)

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 2/13/24 at 12:56 PM