pixeltracker

The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.

The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 7:40pm

Now voters don't even need to see all the shows nominated.


"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#2The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 7:41pm

They lost credibility years ago for me, but especially after they nominated New York New York.  They’re corrupt

BentleyB
#3The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 8:00pm

You two should get married. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#4The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 8:13pm

Broadway Flash said: "They lost credibility years ago for me, but especially after they nominated New York New York. They’re corrupt"

go awaaaaaay

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#6The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 8:15pm

muscle23ftl said: "Now voters don't even need to see all the shows nominated."

Which has not even been verified by any official source as of yet…

Ridiculous reporting from BroadwayWorld. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#7The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 8:25pm

Matt Rogers said: "BentleyB said: "You two should get married."



He is referring to this article:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Award-Voters-May-No-Longer-Need-to-See-Everything-and-More-Tonys-Insight-20240429



Trying to read that article its an utter mess. 
"

 


Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 9:13pm

They pulled the article it appears…


Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 9:35pm

I can't think of two better people to be whining about a lack of credibility.


"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#10The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 9:44pm

Yes I cannot access that article either.

I do recall for 2022-2023 season they allowed Tony voters to vote even if they had not seen every nominated show (various reasons for it). https://www.tonyawards.com/news/tony-awards-eligibility-for-2023-part1/#:~:text=For%20the%202022%2D2023%20season%20only%2C%20a%20voter%20will%20have,been%20nominated%20for%20an%20Award

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 9:53pm

Never use BWW “articles” as your main source. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#12The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 10:22pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Broadway Flash said: "They lost credibility years ago for me, but especially after they nominated New York New York. They’re corrupt"

go awaaaaaay
"

He was banned for two weeks for his racist comments about Hell's Kitchen. A great two weeks on this chat board!


The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

djoko84
#13The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 10:23pm

They lost all credibility when they decide to have the Phonys with the second-rate shows from the COVID year. Moulin Rouge "won" 10 Phonys that year including one where there was only one nominee. That's losing all credibility because of greed and stupidity. 

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#14The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 11:00pm

djoko84 said: "They lost all credibility when they decide to have the Phonys with the second-rate shows from the COVID year. Moulin Rouge "won" 10 Phonys that year including one where there was only one nominee. That's losing all credibility because of greed and stupidity."

I don’t totally disagree but calling them The Phonys feels on par with people who call it “Holllyweird” or call everything “Woke”. 

 

chrishuyen
#15The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 11:10pm

fwiw, Michael Paulson in NYT says "This season 36 Tony-eligible plays and musicals opened; nominators were required to see all of them." and I think he's generally pretty good about fact checking

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#16The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 11:10pm

I'd argue that the lack of credibility people are noticing isn't a result of corruption, bias, or voting practices. It's a natural side-effect of being the only major award body in the entertainment industry to be working with such a small pool of competition for their top award (Best Musical). And while it's obviously subjective, many of us would go further and say that the pool of competition most years is not only small, but also weak. So until the Tonys change their rules to get rid of the nomination minimums, we are likely to see a lot of shows get nominated nearly by default. Again, this is subjective, but I personally feel that most years have AT LEAST one Best Musical nominee that's roughly equivalent in quality to NYNY, if not worse.

djoko84
#17The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/29/24 at 11:23pm

BobbyBubby said: "djoko84 said: "They lost all credibility when they decide to have the Phonys with the second-rate shows from the COVID year. Moulin Rouge "won" 10 Phonys that year including one where there was only one nominee. That's losing all credibility because of greed and stupidity."

I don’t totally disagree but calling them The Phonys feels on par with people who call it “Holllyweird” or call everything “Woke”.


"

I love the Tony Awards, but I only call them the "Phonys" for that one year because they shouldn't have had an awards show. All the other years, I almost always agree with them on their winners because we have the same tastes, but the COVID year of terrible shows and winners should not be up there with classics like Rent, The Lion King, Hamilton, etc...

Updated On: 4/29/24 at 11:23 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#18The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 12:21am

djoko84 said: "BobbyBubby said: "djoko84 said: "They lost all credibility when they decide to have the Phonys with the second-rate shows from the COVID year. Moulin Rouge "won" 10 Phonys that year including one where there was only one nominee. That's losing all credibility because of greed and stupidity."

I don’t totally disagree but calling them The Phonys feels on par with people who call it “Holllyweird” or call everything “Woke”.




"

I love the Tony Awards, but I only call them the "Phonys" for that one year because they shouldn't have had an awards show. All the other years, I almost always agree with them on their winners because we have the same tastes, but the COVID year of terrible shows and winners should not be up there with classics like Rent, The Lion King, Hamilton, etc...
"

So people should have been punished because they happened to produce their work the season a once in a century pandemic disrupted everything

GET OVER YOURSELF 

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#19The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 12:31am

They gave Jodie Comer a Tony over Jessica Chastain.

That's just the most recent example of them losing any credibility. They've for decades.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#20The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 12:32am

Some of the people here need to get over themselves and stop being so precious over some stupid awards that probably doesn’t do much other than lifting peoples egos. 

djoko84
#21The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 12:52am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "djoko84 said: "BobbyBubby said: "djoko84 said: "They lost all credibility when they decide to have the Phonys with the second-rate shows from the COVID year. Moulin Rouge "won" 10 Phonys that year including one where there was only one nominee. That's losing all credibility because of greed and stupidity."

I don’t totally disagree but calling them The Phonys feels on par with people who call it “Holllyweird” or call everything “Woke”.




"

I love the Tony Awards, but I only call them the "Phonys" for that one year because they shouldn't have had an awards show. All the other years, I almost always agree with them on their winners because we have the same tastes, but the COVID year of terrible shows and winners should not be up there with classics like Rent, The Lion King, Hamilton, etc...
"

So people should have been punished because they happened to produce their work the season a once in a century pandemic disrupted everything

GET OVER YOURSELF
"

It wouldn't be punishing them if the following Tonys were two seasons worth (really 1.5 seasons) of shows. Then they'd still be eligible and there would be actual competition. You need to get over yourself because you're probably one of those dumb tweens on these boards who doesn't think before they post (and goes crazy for every crappy show).

BoringBoredBoard40
#22The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 1:03am

djoko84 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "djoko84 said: "BobbyBubby said: "djoko84 said: "They lost all credibility when they decide to have the Phonys with the second-rate shows from the COVID year. Moulin Rouge "won" 10 Phonys that year including one where there was only one nominee. That's losing all credibility because of greed and stupidity."

I don’t totally disagree but calling them The Phonys feels on par with people who call it “Holllyweird” or call everything “Woke”.




"

I love the Tony Awards, but I only call them the "Phonys" for that one year because they shouldn't have had an awards show. All the other years, I almost always agree with them on their winners because we have the same tastes, but the COVID year of terrible shows and winners should not be up there with classics like Rent, The Lion King, Hamilton, etc...
"

So people should have been punished because they happened to produce their work the season a once in a century pandemic disrupted everything

GET OVER YOURSELF
"

It wouldn't be punishing them ifthe following Tonys were two seasons worth (really 1.5 seasons) of shows. Then they'd still be eligible and there would be actual competition. You need to get over yourself because you're probably one of those dumb tweens on these boards who doesn't think before they post (and goes crazy for every crappy show)."

My guy based on the 84 in your handle, we are about the same age, again get over yourself 

 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#23The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 8:34am

One thing I wish Tony’s did is release the results (or some of the results like the % of votes each winner received.) A win is a win but at least we can see if it was close or not. if we can see the results of government electuons, why not the Tonys? I understand it can be emotional for some folks to see the results immediately so perhaps it’s better to reveal them at a later time or only show percentage of votes the winner received.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#24The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 8:44am

Dylan Smith4 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Broadway Flash said: "They lost credibility years ago for me, but especially after they nominated New York New York. They’re corrupt"

go awaaaaaay
"

He was banned for two weeks for his racist comments about Hell's Kitchen. A great two weeks on this chat board!
"

Don't know what they actually said but only a 2 week ban? Should have been permanent.

 


"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#25The Tony Awards have lost the little credibility they had.
Posted: 4/30/24 at 8:46am

chrishuyen said: "fwiw, Michael Paulson in NYTsays "This season 36 Tony-eligible plays and musicals opened; nominators were required to see all of them." and I think he's generally pretty good about fact checking"

To be fair, the original post (and I assume the disappearing article) concerned the much larger pool of voters, and I wouldn't mind some clarification on that.


Videos