Stereophonic Smoking Herbal

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#1Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/24/24 at 8:09am

Can anyone advise how often cast smokes during show?  Does it overwhelm small theater?  Really want to see show but allergic.  Herbal cig smoke smell permeated Mother Play. Wonder if Stereophonic has same issue.  Thank you.

gibsons2
#2Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/24/24 at 8:45am

JayElle said: "Can anyone advise how often cast smokes during show? Does it overwhelm small theater? Really want to see show but allergic. Herbal cig smoke smell permeatedMother Play. Wonder if Stereophonic has same issue. Thank you."

I've only noticed it a couple of times. If you're in mezzanine, you can barely see the face expressions, let alone smell anything. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#3Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/24/24 at 9:19am

I'm very sensitive to smoking smell. I was sitting third row and honestly don't recall it being aggressive at all.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/24/24 at 1:52pm

I don't remember any odor either... Row o, orchestram

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jagman106
#5Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/24/24 at 1:54pm

I'm also hyper-sensitive to the smell of smoke, and I didn't notice anything in Row M of the Orchestra. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#6Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/24/24 at 2:23pm

I gotta be honest, I smelled it frequently from the front row of the mezz.

Matchi Profile Photo
Matchi
#7Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/27/24 at 1:50pm

I was in the sixth row last week, and at times it was distracting to me. If you're sensitive to the smell I would sit far away.

"I don't think you'll ever be a kid again, kiddo."

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#8Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/27/24 at 2:50pm

I know this is conflicting info, but I sat front row and don't remember smelling anything.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#9Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/28/24 at 8:59am

Matchi said: "I was in the sixth row last week, and at times it was distracting to me. If you're sensitive to the smell I would sit far away."

Thanks to all who responded.  Herbal cigs  isn't  good for those anywhere around it.  American Cancer Society and multiple health systems say they aren't safe, but their use have become more prolific on stage.  Its absence wouldn't diminish the show.  It's particularly bad for seniors, the group with the $ for tickets.  Beyond me why production companies want to emulate a deadly habit that killed and sickened millions for decades until the states sued tobacco companies for billions to recover healthcare costs and banned indoor use and advertising.  

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#10Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/28/24 at 10:10am

I don’t have any sensitivities to herbal cigs - besides thinking they smell bad - but I could definitely smell them from at least rear mezzanine B from time to time. They don’t smoke the whole show, but it’s fairly frequent. If you have sensitivities, I would just recommend sitting further back. You may still catch a whiff, but it wouldn’t be the same as sitting up close or seeing it at Playwrights, for example.

As to the point of why they’re smoking: it’s set in the 70’s and everyone smoked cigarettes, weed, or both. Especially rockstars. It’s authentic, even if you think it’s gross.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#11Stereophonic Smoking Herbal
Posted: 6/28/24 at 1:37pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "I don’t have any sensitivities to herbal cigs - besides thinking they smell bad - but I could definitely smell them from at least rear mezzanine B from time to time. They don’t smoke the whole show, but it’s fairly frequent. If you have sensitivities, I would just recommend sitting further back. You may still catch a whiff, but it wouldn’t be the same as sitting up close or seeing it at Playwrights, for example.

As to the point ofwhythey’re smoking: it’s set in the 70’s and everyone smoked cigarettes, weed, or both. Especially rockstars. It’s authentic, even if you think it’s gross.
"

Wouldn't wearing a mask help?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Videos