pixeltracker

Les Miserables cast recording...

Les Miserables cast recording...

Dennis2
#0Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/13/04 at 5:51pm

I have few questions about the 4 English recordings (I bet there are like two dozen other ones I don't know about too). Which one has a Javert that screams at the end of his suicide sequence and also has the sound effect of him hitting thw water? I'm guessing it's the complete symphonic recording, but there are so many that I'm not really sure.

Since it's one of those age old debates for Les Miz fans, I wondering if any one had a prefrence of one recording to another? They all have positive things and negative things about them, but there must be one that really fancies your taste.

I don't like ice cream

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#1re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/13/04 at 9:01pm

Definitely an age-old debate. re: Les Miserables cast recording... I personally prefer the London cast so I can have Frances Ruffelle, Michael Ball, and Patti LuPone.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#2re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/13/04 at 9:37pm

I love my 10th Anniversary Dream Cast, but I really dislike my International Symphonic Recording. Blah.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

sharon1
#3re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/13/04 at 9:46pm

I love the original London cast and the 10th anniversary concert. I really think those are the best

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#4re: re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/13/04 at 11:27pm

yes, the original london one is very good! i didn't care for the OBC though....but i guess it's because i grew up with the london one.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#5re: re: re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/13/04 at 11:40pm

Personally, I think out of the 3 recordings that I own, the 10th Anniversary Concert is the best. Huge orchestra, Huge choir, and a "Dream" cast. Javert sort of screams as he commits suicide on this recording, but I don't know about the sound effect of hitting the water.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/14/04 at 1:50am

Try here:

http://frenchboys.net/cafe/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=10&s=e96ca9b66b6b5023875476d7686fd314

http://frenchboys.net/cafe/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=60&s=e96ca9b66b6b5023875476d7686fd314

(Personally, the only English language recording I care for is the 10th anniversary cast, although I'm not a Michael Ball fan anymore and most certainly am not a Michael Maguire fan. I have almost as many Les Miz cast recordings as the number of years I've been alive, and the two I always recommend are the Tel Aviv and 1991 cast recordings, though both have been OOP for years.)

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/15/04 at 12:35pm

There isn't one that I'm aware of that has Javert screaming and hitting the water.

And as an owner of all 4 recordings, my preference is definitely toward the CSR. Although there are amazing performances on the 10th Anniversary Cast recording, absolutely nothing can top Anthony Warlow's amazing Enjolras. Add in solid performances from Michael Ball, Phillip Quast, my favorite pair of Thenardiers and the fact that it is complete, and you can't go wrong. The only true negative of this recording me is Tracy Shane's Cosette.

As a Les Miz freak, I would reccomend any of the English recordings, except for the OBC. It's by far the weakest--I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've listened to it.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Michelleruth Profile Photo
Michelleruth
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/16/04 at 1:34pm

10th Anniversary Dream Cast is my fave.

"Do Real Magic....Live Your Dreams"

lvpblues
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/21/04 at 6:30pm

I have three of the four... I personally enjoy all three for different reasons. I enjoy the 10th anniversary for the combination of a live theatrical experience, the calibre of talent and the completeness. The Original London has Patti LuPone, Michael Ball (also on the concert) and original material. I like the Original Broadway for Judy Kuhn (again also on concert) and Randy Graff's Fantine- something that really isn't talked about too much, but I love her. And of course I love all three for Colm Wilkinson. It's a hard choice. There is good in each. If I were to pick, I'd probably go with the 10th anniversary concert because it was my introduction to the score as a whole and one of the more exciting cast recordings of a pop opera.

~Kevin

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Les Miserables cast recording...
Posted: 3/21/04 at 6:34pm

whatever recording it is, it HAS to have colm wilkenson on it or else i just cant listen to it. that is why i cant listen to the full symphonic recording, i love having the entire show, but not w/o colm.

it is still great (or...was :-[)to see it live with any actor in the part though

Videos