Opening Night Protocol

Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile Photo
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex
#0Opening Night Protocol
Posted: 5/21/03 at 5:16am

Rex and I are very excited, we got very lucky and were able to obtain tickets to the "official" Opening Night performance of The Producers starring Jason Alexander and Martin Short in Los Angeles next Thursday evening, 5/29. Having never attended an opening night before, I thought I would call upon the expertise of this esteemed forum and seek advice from members who may have experience with such High-Brow events.

I am definitely committed to making a good impression including wearing clean socks and giving Rex a bath before we walk down the Red Carpet. Any other suggestions on attire or protocol would be appreciated!

My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.

Max Bialystock Profile Photo
Max Bialystock
#1I would think....
Posted: 5/21/03 at 9:50am

I would think that a pair of rhinestone "PICK UP GLOVES" and some smart doggy do-do bags would be "de regueir"!

Fondly, as ever, Max

CJR
#2.
Posted: 5/21/03 at 10:22am

I have been to opening nights in NYC and my outfits have pretty much run the gamut. Never jeans, obviously. But I have worn everything from a business suit (after coming straight from work) to a "dressy dress"..... even a pair of black bell bottom dress pants, with steve madden boots and a nice top. There were always a lot of stars -- and their outfits always ran the gamut as well. I would say business attire or anything dressier would be fine.

For the most part, the only guys you'll see *really* dressed up (ie: in tuxes) will be men directly involved in the show, and security personel.

Just keep your appearance neat and you'll be fine :)

CJR

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

#3Thanks CJR!
Posted: 5/21/03 at 11:11am

I appreciate the guidance on attire and will put it to use. With a 7 pm start time, coming direct from work is a definite.

My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.

CJR
#4.
Posted: 5/21/03 at 11:16am

Sounds like you'll fit right in then :)

glad I could help!

#5Thanks Max Bialystock, Rex is Relieved!
Posted: 5/21/03 at 11:23am

Rex appreciates your consideration for his bladder needs but the formal attire won't be necessary. He's been "Theatre Trained" ever since he was pup. In fact, he never has to rush out and wait in those long lines at intermission, he just waits until after the show and finds a limousine hubcap.

As a matter of fact, the only time I had a problem in a theatre with him was when he got us booted out of CATS for unruly behavior.

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#6Opening Night
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:16pm

I was at the Gypsy opening. Dressy casual seemed to be the best description. Men in suits, women in nice dresses or pant suits. Lots of press and photographers interested in the celebs. It's a very busy scene. Others pass by and enter the theater unnoticed. Intermission and after the show is fun, too.

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#7I wore a suit...
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:18pm

...for the opening night of DOTV.

Rob

#8How to Crash the Opening Night Party?
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:42pm

Now that I'm into the show and know how to dress, I need to come up with a plan to be invited to or crash the Opening Night Party that Mel Brooks is hosting at the Hollywood Palladium for 1500. I mean would they really notice if it was 1500 plus 2?

I haven't figured this part out yet but Rex and I are working on it. Our initial idea was for me to wear shades and have Rex act as my Seeing Eye Guide Dog. However, the problem is with all that fur covering his eyes he really can't see much and I usually have to guide Rex.

If any of you have devious minds (and I know many in this group do), any thoughts on how join in the festivities without an invitiation?

CJR
#9...
Posted: 5/21/03 at 1:09pm

Umm... er.... Private Message me :)

Updated On: 5/21/03 at 01:09 PM

Deannaizme Profile Photo
Deannaizme
#10Opening Night -- VERY cool
Posted: 5/21/03 at 1:23pm

Alvin,

You'll have to give us a review of both the show AND the party, if you manage to crash it. I'm envious -- I haven't been lucky enough to get to go to an opening night. Have a LOT of fun!

~D

#11Opening Night Review
Posted: 5/21/03 at 1:36pm

Hi Deannaizme,

I will most gladly provide info. on what I see and hear at The Producers "official" Opening Night in L.A. Please note, I have already seen The Producers in L.A. with Jason and Martin at their first "Preview" show on May 2nd. I posted a review of that performance on the BroadwayWorld.com page for Broadway Show reviews under The Producers. I clearly noted it is the L.A. cast being reviewed.

Eleven Profile Photo
Eleven
#12Star Gazing Tip
Posted: 5/21/03 at 2:05pm

If on opening night during the performance you happen to see someone famous in the audience, DO NOT, I repeat, Do not stand up, point, and yell:

"Hey look it's Anne Bancroft."

This would be frowned upon!

CJR
#13;)
Posted: 5/21/03 at 2:12pm

Are we speaking from experience, or something we wittnessed?

(it's all in good fun ;))
CJR

AndrewClay
#14Sounds like a good story there!
Posted: 5/21/03 at 2:23pm

Share, share!

Deannaizme Profile Photo
Deannaizme
#15LA Cast Review
Posted: 5/21/03 at 3:39pm

I remember that review on broadway.com now. Thanks for reminding me. :)

#16Review Vanished in Cyberspace
Posted: 5/21/03 at 3:49pm

I'm glad you were able to check out my initial review of The Producers in L.A. on Broadway.com, but alas it fell victim to the early May crash on that site when all the Threads for a 3 week period vanished, including my favorite about PETA and Jason Alexander. However, I am confident what is posted here, within the guidelines, will remain posted here.

chasing_rainbows43
#17...
Posted: 5/21/03 at 3:57pm

Likewise, do not hit your friend several times and go "HEY! It's the entire cast of Sports Night! Over there in the right box!"

I'm speaking from experience.

In addition - if you end up at the same restaurant as the cast on either opening or closing night, when a friend says "I wanna go say hi to Carol", and you know that your friend does not know Carol (Burnett), make any and all attempts to keep said friend in their seat. It could get ugly. (Thankfully it didn't, but still, it could have...)

CJR
#18.
Posted: 5/21/03 at 3:59pm

Hahhahhahha! Ohhhh my god.

The first one (being smacked repeatedly) was that done by the same person as the second incident? Why would I not be surprised if you said yes? lol

#19Spotting Celebs:
Posted: 5/21/03 at 4:28pm

Great tips on decorum and protocol! I look forward to putting them to good use. I shouldn't run into any trouble as long as my seats are more than 15 Rows from Mel Brooks, which should put Rex and I beyond the prescribed distance of all present and past restraining orders!

Updated On: 5/21/03 at 04:28 PM

chasing_rainbows43
#20No
Posted: 5/21/03 at 10:29pm

The first one was you, doofus. Like I'd know who the cast of Sports Night is....
The second one, well....let's not incriminate those not present to defend themselves. The Carol greeter did smacking at the show as well, but that was more to the tune of "UKE!!! UKE!!!"

CJR
#21HAHHA
Posted: 5/21/03 at 11:51pm

Okay, that was me... *hangs head in shame*... but it was me smacking you once, and it was one guy from Spin City.. I pride myself in never having watched Sports Night! :) lol

Standing O Profile Photo
Standing O
#22Restraining order?
Posted: 5/22/03 at 6:11pm

Alvin,

Restraining order?

#23Just Kidding!
Posted: 5/22/03 at 6:21pm

Of course, I was just kidding about the restraining order. I am not guilty!! (At least until my case comes to trial.)

DofB5
#24But what about Rex? ;)
Posted: 5/22/03 at 6:59pm

Just kidding.

I just have to say that I adore Rex. What a sweetheart! I'll have to change my picture so you can see my 2 babies.

D

Videos