pixeltracker

Non- conservatory theatre programs

Non- conservatory theatre programs

Coondiggitydogg
#0Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:49pm

Hey all, I am going to be applying to college next year and i am looking for a non-conservatory theatre program so i can double major into political science. I know its a weird grouping but it is what i like. I know that Northwestern, cornell, UNC, NYU, Michigan, Syracuse, and Emory have musical thater as a major but are they any good? and are there any others i should look into?

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#1re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 12:55pm

I would remove UNC from that list and I don't know what Evory is.

whimsical
#2re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 2:24pm

Try Sam Houston State University's musical theatre program if you ever decide to go down south. It's the best in Texas and surrounding states.

DoReMi Profile Photo
DoReMi
#3re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 3:05pm

Make sure you check out Oklahoma City University...without a doubt the top musical theater program in the southwest and one of the top in the nation.

Also check the othe rrecent MT threads.

BakersWife3
#4re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 5:28pm

SUNY New Paltz has a good theatre degree but it's not musical...the good news is that the poly-sci dept. is great too

There are some other SUNY's w/ good programs too

good luck!!

Do not put your faith in a cape and a hood. They will not protect you the way that they should. ~Into the Woods "There is no plague! You are trying to raise cows on the side of a MOUNTAIN!!!" ~Meredith Parker, Bat Boy

shesings
#5re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 6:37pm

northwestern does not have a musical theatre program - you can major in voice, or theatre or double major if you'd like, but no plain old musical theatre major.

also ... oklahoma isn't exactly the southwest ... its the midwest, but its not the #1 midwest program either

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#6re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 6:45pm

Fordham, Emerson and Boston U

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

chasing_rainbows43
#7re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 7:14pm

Pimpin the Wag...
www.wagner.edu

Paul LW Profile Photo
Paul LW
#8re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 8:03pm

University of Michigan

They are kosher with double majors...just don't die.

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#9re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 8:54pm

I know you probably don't know yet - but in which of the two areas do you see yourself actually investing a career? Because you can still "like both", but I don't know of a career that would require DEGREES in both areas...(maybe there are??)

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears

USActorSinger Profile Photo
USActorSinger
#10re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 9:08pm

Hey thats not too weird a combo. My good friend graduated from East Carolina Universiy with a double majorored in Political Science and Musical Theatre. And now... he works in computers. He still finds time for performing with local theatre companies though.

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#11re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 9:15pm

That's kind of my point - but hey, go for it. Maybe once you are a couple of years into it, you'll see more clearly which direction you want to head towards - that's the whole point of college, right?

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears

#12re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 9:19pm

I think you have to be a very good actor to be successful in politics.

Coondiggitydogg
#13re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/21/04 at 10:50pm

first off to Paul good usage of Kosher. to shesings northwestern does have a musical theatre program that u must audition for your freshman or sophmore year. I ment emory not evory. But thanks all for the info. any more on more east coast schools cause i live in the big DE and would like to stay on this coast and would prefer to stay this side of the mississippi.

JC14
#14re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/22/04 at 11:50am

Northwestern doesn't specifically have a musical theatre major, per se. What they offer is a music theatre certificate program. Essentially, the program gives you access to free voice lessons as well as specific classes such as music theatre techniques, directing, and piano. The certificate program is a 2 year program and as previously stated, you audition for it at the end of your freshman or sophomore year.

In terms of double majoring, it's really easy to do - somewhat time consuming but anything worthwhile will be. It's easy because a lot of your distribution requirements for theatre and your other major will end up overlapping. Northwestern's great in that it offers you an abundance of opportunities to pursue theatre while at the same time getting a solid liberal arts education.

Hope that helps.

Coondiggitydogg
#15re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/22/04 at 11:55am

it does very much so. I was wondering if anyone has heard about UVA they don't have a musical theatre major but they allow people to create majors which i could do. I just wanted to hear ne thoughts on the program the only person to come out of there that i know of is Tina Fey from SNL and all.

shesings
#16re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/22/04 at 12:18pm

ok, thats what i meant about northwestern not having a direct mt major. my best friend went there and opted to major in drama, she actually double majored in something else ridiculous and said it wasn't difficult to do at all. so you can definatly do the double majoring there. have fun!

Coondiggitydogg
#17re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/22/04 at 1:32pm

Thats if i can eve nget in though. I hate how some schools don't use auditions. I mean i have good Boards and an ok GPA but there are sooo many people applying with better GPA's and boards. I dont live in my books i live on stage and in the chorus room.

Coondiggitydogg
#18re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/23/04 at 1:04pm

re vitalizing this board so i can hopefullyget more commentary.

DoReMi Profile Photo
DoReMi
#19re: Non- conservatory theatre programs
Posted: 7/23/04 at 1:25pm

Well, Shesings....

If Oklahoma city University ISN'T the top MT program in the southwest, I'd love to hear what your top is?

(waiting for a good laugh)

Videos